Im Jenny on the Block with 10 chickens.

jenlear

In the Brooder
May 9, 2024
Im looking for ways to keep my feed dry from the rain. I have small chicks that can not get up in the coop. As of now I finally got a clear tote and cut a door in to put the feed in it to keep dry. They have not figured out how to get up in the coops. The older chick has food up by her nest. Are there any types of stairs for young chicks to learn to get up into the lower coop? I've had a large log there that the older chick will go up but the younger ones have not figured it out.

I would make stairs out of bricks. Then teach them how to use it by sitting next to it and encouraging them to climb it with food. And maybe if this works for your setup, only put feed in coop for a few days (after you have been getting them to climb it) if they know the food is in the coop, they should figure out how to get in the coop real quick😂 But of course keep an eye on them, to make sure they figure it out quick, wouldn’t want them to starve. But all of that kinda seems like a duh to me, sure you have probably already thought of it😁

Hello Jenny, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
How old are the chicks?
When you write 'her nest', who you talking about?
Are the small chicks big enough to flutter up onto the log?
What heat source do the chicks have during the day?
Chicks don't know how to navigate ramps. They have to be shown either by their mother or by you. The way I taught my very first batch of chicks how to navigate a ramp was to put a mealworm trail up to the top.

Back
Top Bottom