I'm one of you!

4theloveofhens

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Greetings
frow.gif

You know when people post a thread that is just mostly about them, doesn't really have an important question to be answered or any real specific purpose? I'm proud to be one of those people now!
celebrate.gif

Thanks to ColoradoMike and his great pictures (as well as him living in the same state, MAJOR bonus!),
thumbsup.gif
I have designed what I hope to be my ideal coop. It has to be somewhat small (Just renting a duplex right now but I have a large fenced in yard), CHEAP, easy to build for my BF and our lovely lack-of-construction-skills, and of course has to keep my girls safe. Yes, I could have thrown a cardboard box together with a Tupperware as a nest box and a paper towel holder as a roost, but why not use this an excuse for another hobby to occupy my mind every second until it's built. And then I shall move on to some other challenge............
idunno.gif

Anyway, here is what I sketched up with google (Catchy, eh?) Couple hours into it and I have the program down to a science. Even uploaded some "hinges" and stuff for the actual coop image. So the first picture is ALL of the lumber I need to get, the second pic is slightly different than what I ended up sticking to but the general idea is the same. (The wood is color coded so I know how many of each measurement I need to have.) SO, here's a little list of what i still need to get.

Linoleum
Cabinet doors
hinges
roof (metal sheets)
wire (bottom will be hardware, top will be larger CHEAPER stuff, ha)
big rocks for apron
locks
window
basket for nest box
door handle
paint

With the sketchup and the homedepot website, I figured out that if I had to buy ALL NEW lumber (Everything you see in the picture) it would cost about $76.00. Not bad, I thought. Of course, now my mission is to hunt and stalk the recycle places/craigslist/freecycle to find the sizes I need etc, as well as my other "house" items.

I guess I do have one question as of now. For those of you that painted (Probably the majority), did you paint all your lumber first and then screw it together, or vise versa?

Thanks for letting me blab! Of course tips are welcome!
duc.gif

ONLY 2 WEEK until I BUILD.
fl.gif
Dun dun dunnnnnn.

temp1plaincolor.jpg

Lastone.jpg

Lastoneside.jpg

Back
Top Bottom