I'm so old I Remember when:

Random drop in…
7D29DB7D-3776-486C-B42D-956397C4A426.jpeg

Why use that when we have the amazon? Too bad they don't ship trees so I can make a mini rainforest for the chooks.
Well... back in "the day," there was no Amazon. And in many areas of rural America, long ago, there were no department stores, either. Or cars. And it took a whole day to travel 20 miles by horse, cart, wagon, or mule. Not everybody had other forms of transportation. So paper catalogs were very important. People ordered things out of catalogs and waited, sometimes a long time, for their order to arrive. I understand you could actually order a house from Sears, Roebuck. I imagine it took a while and you had to assemble it yourself.

Well... back in "the day," there was no Amazon. And in many areas of rural America, long ago, there were no department stores, either. Or cars. And it took a whole day to travel 20 miles by horse, cart, wagon, or mule. Not everybody had other forms of transportation. So paper catalogs were very important. People ordered things out of catalogs and waited, sometimes a long time, for their order to arrive. I understand you could actually order a house from Sears, Roebuck. I imagine it took a while and you had to assemble it yourself.
Yes, you could order a house through the Sears catalog. It came in a large kit, all you had to supply was the labor and land

honestly I am quite envious of the idea of ordering a house. I meant the comment in jest.

honestly I am quite envious of the idea of ordering a house. I meant the comment in jest.
Apparently you could order houses way back in 1926.
1713574570911.png

"Preservation Arlington is helping to promote this adorable Sears kit bungalow dating from 1926".
Picture and quote from here. I would love to get an old house!

Back
Top Bottom