I'm so old I Remember when:

Oh! The space shuttles! Almost forgot those. Who could forget the one that exploded after takeoff? We sat in our schoolroom desks and watched it ascend, split from the rocket section, and blow itself into tiny bits. It was carrying the first American woman to go into space, a schoolteacher.

Years later, when I was a teacher in Oklahoma City, I lived across the highway from Tinker Air Force Base. I'd heard the shuttle was riding piggy-back on its way back to Cape Canaveral, and that they'd be stopping at Tinker for refueling. We drove to the base and got to watch her take off. Pretty amazing.

Oh! The space shuttles! Almost forgot those. Who could forget the one that exploded after takeoff? We sat in our schoolroom desks and watched it ascend, split from the rocket section, and blow itself into tiny bits. It was carrying the first American woman to go into space, a schoolteacher.

Years later, when I was a teacher in Oklahoma City, I lived across the highway from Tinker Air Force Base. I'd heard the shuttle was riding piggy-back on its way back to Cape Canaveral, and that they'd be stopping at Tinker for refueling. We drove to the base and got to watch her take off. Pretty amazing.
In the 80's, I remember watching that terrible time. First woman, we were so excited for her.

I'm also old enough to remember riding in the bed of pickups being normal and no seatbelt laws. You could shove as many kids as you wanted in the back seat of a car or ride with them on your lap.
And back to smoking...
Parents could smoke in those cars full of kids with the windows up and no one said a thing about it.
Too right! My sister and I would have standing challenges in the back of dad's old EH (working mans wagon). The challenge was to remain standing and not let any body part touch the seat in front OR be knocked back onto the seat when dad started swerving to increase the challenge. This fun game always happened on the way home from nan's place and we lived up a hill! Fun times. There were no seat belts in those cars, and if you own one today you don't have to have belts installed.
EH-holden-wagon.jpg

Now that's old! 🤣
When I was a child the local AM station had a morning show with an older DJ named Bob Steele. We listened to his show every weekday, and that's where I first heard songs by Fred Allen, Rolf Harris, and Spike Jones. My nickname as a little was "Beetlebaum" so I have an affinity for that particular Spike Jones number.

Back
Top Bottom