I'm so old I Remember when:

I remember when I could work a double shift 5 days a week. 40hrs strait time and then 40hrs overtime. Loved working double shifts on a holiday. That was then. Now a 4 hour shift and a 2 hour nap.
I hear ya - by 8pm I am bushed! Used to be I could get up at 4am, and not go to bed till midnight.

Culottes, go-go boots, Scottish skirts with giant pin closures, paisley prints, hip-hugger bell-bottoms, big hair perms, Farrah Faucette haircuts, earth shoes, cowl-neck sweaters, "gee your hair smells terriffic!" Shampoo, Love's Baby Soft perfume, and...
My hot pink bike with the white banana seat with a racing stripe. Clothes-pinned cards on the spokes - of course

This comes from several years ago. I'm not sure if they still do this anymore. My friend was a bus aide. She said the new busses actually came with seatbelts but the bus garage removed them before use. Seatbelts were not required in the state (at that time--not sure about not) The rationale was that if the seatbelts were on the busses but students didn't or refused to wear them and there was an accident the school would be liable so it was best to remove them. With the "high" seats they were considered safe.

Unless every school can afford to put a bus aide on every bus, I'm not sure how the bus driver (in today's schools) would be able to enforce it. The bus driver has a lot to do to drive safely and make sure there are not accidents. There is no way they can know everything that is going on on the bus, much less, if "Johnny" in the back of the bus is wearing a seatbelt. Even with a bus aide, I think it would be hard to enforce. When I went to school, all our bus driver had to do was say one word and we all behaved! "Yes, sir!"
Things have changed in our society. Somehow we expect teachers to teach and keep order but many parents today don't want their children disciplined (in any way) and the teachers (or bus drivers) have their "hands tied." I know, as some have mentioned here, that corporal punishment was handled wrongly by some teachers, which was very unfortunate because it removed a useful "tool" from the school's toolbox for discipline. For most of my classmates, just the knowledge that they could be spanked was enough to keep them in line. One thing our school had was a very well-defined policy for corporal punishment. It was not used cruelly. There were always at least two adults present as a witness. Men never spanked the girls. It was used very rarely, but it was a tool that was there to use when necessary.
Ok, I'll get off my "soapbox." I'm glad my teaching days are over, and I don't have to deal with what's going on in schools today!
(Had a friend recently retire after her students started complaining that they couldn't read her notes on the chalkboard. She had always written her notes on the board in cursive, and she was getting her first students that didn't know cursive! I asked my nephew about it because I knew he hadn't learned cursive. I was glad to know that he could read cursive. Will the future generations be able to read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence?)
Cursive needs to be taught at home if it isn't being taught at school. When I compare the handwriting of my grandparents / great-grandparents to my own ...I can see how far man has fallen behind in both skill and aptitude. I've spent years writing a weather diary, all in cursive and even bought a handmade timber pen!

Beautiful Neat Cursive Handwriting : 5 Reasons Why

Back
Top Bottom