I'm so old I Remember when:

So did we! When we were issued our textbooks at school, we had one week to cover them all with paper-bag bookcovers or get points deducted from our grades, protecting the books was stressed that much. Textbooks were expensive and had to last for years & years of students. Mom showed us how to fold the grocery bags to fit the books and stay on for many openings/closings, and we had to write the book title, our name and grade on the outside in case a book got lost/left somewhere.

I used to look forward to the bookcover-making ritual when school started each year! Some teachers encouraged us to decorate the brown paper with drawings, as long as the title & our names weren't obscured.

By the time my girls were in school, Target and office supply stores had cheap, colorful stretchy fabric bookcovers for the kids to use (and re-use, they lasted more than one school year). Folded paper covers weren't accepted at school; more unrecyclable trash generated, alas.
I also enjoyed making paper bag book covers. I usually recovered them part way through the year. I didn't like it when they started looking tattered. I started covering them with contact paper the last couple of years so they would last longer.
I didn't know that schools stopped accepting the paper bag covers. I would have thought that as long as they were covered and protected that would be enough. What about the parents who couldn't afford to buy store bought book covers?

I remember that we were taught in about the 5th grade the proper way to walk your girl friend or later your wife down a city side walk. The boy or man should always walk on the curb side as to be between any danger and your girl.
My DH still does this and my girls think it's sexist. Makes me sad for them.

Back
Top Bottom