I'm so old I Remember when:

When I was a kid we ate possum, squirrel and rabbit all the time. :confused:
Okay, I'm curious...never had the opportunity to try any of these "wild meats" (possum, coon, squirrel...) What do they taste like? (And please don't say "chicken"... 😉 🙂) I'd be a bit leery about possum as around here, they're the cleanup crew for carcasses that are too far decayed for even the foxes to touch. A bloated dead skunk that laid around for a week or so...possum took it, on our trail cam video. 😝🤪

I do love rabbit but DH doesn't, alas. Mom fried up rabbit just like fried chicken, yummm.

So now we have GMO synthetic meat? one company ferments genetically-engineered yeast to create heme, a protein that's crucial to duplicating the juiciness, flavor, and color of real meat.

I remember when meat was called meat and vegetables were called vegetables.
I love (and adhere to) the Michael Pollen quote about, "Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food." Nowadays, it'd be great-grandmothers I guess, as the industrialized food thing got going when I was a kid. 😝

I'd rather have a fresh ear of GMO sweet corn out of the garden than any of the so called nick named plant based food engineered in a factory.. I know how the gmo sweet corn came about and why. I'm clueless about all the crap they mix together for human consumption on an assembly line like they make cars on in a factory. I remember reading the lies that were spread on the internet about GMO stock corn 25 years ago.

Okay, I'm curious...never had the opportunity to try any of these "wild meats" (possum, coon, squirrel...) What do they taste like? (And please don't say "chicken"... 😉 🙂) I'd be a bit leery about possum as around here, they're the cleanup crew for carcasses that are too far decayed for even the foxes to touch. A bloated dead skunk that laid around for a week or so...possum took it, on our trail cam video. 😝🤪

I do love rabbit but DH doesn't, alas. Mom fried up rabbit just like fried chicken, yummm.
To me possum was like a cross between a fatty pork roast and turkey. Squirrel was like a nutty, earthy, dark meat turkey. And racoon was similar to goat meat, only more greasy and really tender. They all are a bit gamey tasting, probably the possum most of all. But they were all yummy. :drool if you like rabbit, you'd probably like all these too. :)

To me possum was like a cross between a fatty pork roast and turkey. Squirrel was like a nutty, earthy, dark meat turkey. And racoon was similar to goat meat, only more greasy and really tender. They all are a bit gamey tasting, probably the possum most of all. But they were all yummy. :drool if you like rabbit, you'd probably like all these too. :)
I am afaraid I've seen too many possums we caught in the coop that were FULL if intestinal parasites.
My experience with racoons was when I shot one on a fishing trip in the marsh. I brought it home to my "starter wife" and asked her to cook it. (She was too clever for my own good.)
She cut it in half and put the skinny end in a pot with a can of brown gravy and said "enjoy". Point taken. I never brought wild things home to her again.
(The present DW is 180* opposite. Except much more clever.)

Last edited:
They’re delicious! 🤣🙈 although I like Wendy’s or Five Guys better. But now I try not to eat fast food.
We still have a family-owned Fish 'n' Chip shop in my area that makes a great (big!) burger loaded with grilled onions, egg, salad and beetroot .. gotta have beetroot! on a Aussie burger :)

Back
Top Bottom