I'm so old I Remember when:

I'm so old I remember when we thought it was sad that kids didn't farm or garden and would think food came from the grocery store.
Now I fear they believe it originates at the drive through or Door Dash. :p
No I’m not old sorry to butt in but from a younger person I still think it’s sad that kids don’t know where their food comes from and that they don’t farm or garden.

1700951469132.png

No I’m not old sorry to butt in but from a younger person I still think it’s sad that kids don’t know where their food comes from and that they don’t farm or garden.
My father grew up 'having' to weed the garden on weekends. They had to row across a stretch of lake to the bakery for fresh bread. Nan would take her bucket to a farm up the road and get the daily spoken news while the farmer caught and milked the cow. My grandfather excelled in fishing, Greyhound training and carpentry; he wrote two books on fishing and woke the family often in the early hours to feast on the fresh prawn catch. Nan would kill and roast a chicken on a Sunday. All the veg came from their yard or via neighbour swaps. Every fence was strangled in choko and passionfruit vines. People were healthy. My father often said: "It's so beautiful walking in to a shop and just getting what you need."

Luckily I had grandparents who still gardened! :) There was no greater joy for me than seeing all the ladybirds on the pumpkin flowers, the huge marrow's pop grew, and waiting for that white flower to become a strawberry .. better than Christmas!

I had shrimp, oysters, catfish, soft shelled crabs and DW had a Huge plate of Snow Crab.
Yum! A feast!
Takes the wind out of my I'll never eat bugs rant.
Those bugs are different. 😆
We have some friends who were commercial fishermen. Went out on their trawler a few times. WAY OUT! They asked me to 'take the wheel'. :lol: I was pulling big nets out there with the big boys and lots of huge commercial ships. 😯 Alone in the wheel house and scared to death.
Then he came back and said come and check out these BUGS we just hauled in. We had snagged a ton of shrimp. Never seen so many at one time!
That's when I learned the locals there call them bugs. :gigI took some ribbing over all this.

Again, those bugs are different.

Okay, I'm curious...never had the opportunity to try any of these "wild meats" (possum, coon, squirrel...) What do they taste like? (And please don't say "chicken"... 😉 🙂)

No, doesn't taste like chicken...frog legs taste like chicken. 😝

You are supposed to clean the hair off before cooking.

He didn't do it right. 🤣

Yum! A feast!

Those bugs are different. 😆
We have some friends who were commercial fishermen. Went out on their trawler a few times. WAY OUT! They asked me to 'take the wheel'. :lol: I was pulling big nets out there with the big boys and lots of huge commercial ships. 😯 Alone in the wheel house and scared to death.
Then he came back and said come and check out these BUGS we just hauled in. We had snagged a ton of shrimp. Never seen so many at one time!
That's when I learned the locals there call them bugs. :gigI took some ribbing over all this.

Again, those bugs are different.
My best friend's brother works on a deep sea trawler most of the year and would laugh at what us land-livers called King Prawns / Shrimp. He says they catch prawns as big as bread & butter plates, and that they all go to Asian markets.

What’s a Balmain Bug, and Why Do Australians Love Them?
Bug$$$$ --- no idea why Aussies love them! : /

There is a set of twins that go to my church, that auditioned to be the Doublemint twins. Thank God they never got the part, that's all they would have talked about. They always acted like being identical twins was so damn special. They weren't fans of us triplets because we one upped them all the time😁

Back
Top Bottom