I'm so old I Remember when:

Screenshot_20240203_083739_Chrome.jpg

Ugh...just watched this & now I realize...my battle with them here Will Never End.
Those little bas!@&ds
are here to stay. 🐜

The type here are not mound makers, found in cold regions like Maine, Canada & many Northeast States, very adaptive, European Fire Ant, rather extensive tunnel builders. Acres worth of tunnels at various depths, under roadways & buildings, trees, etc. I am bummed!

Hey, anyone know where I can order some Phorid Flies? There are 5 species of Phorid that specialize in going after the fire ants!

Last edited:
Holy Dinah! That’s rather dramatic! Crocs are also very slippery, don’t wear them and walk on snow….
Yeah, I saw it happen, she went down that staircase like she was on skiis, then thud, snap, crackle, pop at the landing. 😔 Her hubby had to carry her the rest of the way down, then he drove her to the hospital. Who would think flip flops were that slippery on the bottom, but most are.

Ugh...just watched this & now I realize...my battle with them here Will Never End.
Those little bas!@&ds
are here to stay. 🐜

The type here are not mound makers, found in cold regions like Maine, Canada & many Northeast States, very adaptive, European Fire Ant, rather extensive tunnel builders. Acres worth of tunnels at various depths, under roadways & buildings, trees, etc. I am bummed!

We have the mound builders. The mounds are a good source for small sized grit.

We have the mound builders. The mounds are a good source for small sized grit.
We had huge mounds of thatch ants. Creepy/scary seeing the zillions of them seething all over the ever-growing mounds, and their bites really hurt! Their colonies were marching along the sunny side of the road like living mountains of conifer duff, overtook the area where we have our flagpole and holiday roadside displays, then new colonies stated popping up along our long gravel drive and on the edge of the woods near the house. OH NO you don't!

Nothing seemed to deter them; even the local bear tearing into the biggest mound and eating a huge amount of them & their eggs/larvae didn't slow them down much. I worried they might be some nasty invasive species, but online research then a consult with our local pest control folks confirmed they're native...but NOT good neighbors. We had them exterminated; did NOT want those getting in the house or taking over the gardens! Two years now, no sign of them returning...the native plants and other critters are reclaiming their vacant mounds.

But they are not nearly as awful as fire ants...yikes!😲

Back
Top Bottom