I'm so old I Remember when:

Screenshot_20240309_153830_Chrome.jpg

We were taught to write each main point in your paper on a 3x5 card, then put the cards into the order you wanted to develop them in your paper, then type the paper from the order of the cards.

I remember sitting on the floor in my bedroom with 3x5 cards laid out in a grid, organizing and re-ordering them.
I'd retrieve the heavy black typewriter case from my father's office and carry it back to my bedroom, open it on the floor, and sit on the floor and type my paper there.

3x5 cards used to be a standard school supply. We used them for writing papers, vocabulary quizzes, test questions, etc.

I kept my cards in labeled plastic boxes. Sometimes I ended up with several boxes for each class, especially languages classes that had lots of vocabulary words.

I was taught the exact same way, and still teach it to my high school students. It's the easiest way to organize large amounts of information.
I agree.
I was also taught this way, and also taught my students to do this as well. Just recently my daughter (in a private school) was taught to use index cards for her research paper and also for a speech.
While I was teaching school, the internet first started being used for school reports. At first I had some try to hand in papers printed directly from the internet...maybe just changing a few words. Oh, no! That's not the way it's done! It was harder to convince students of the importance of using multiple sources and using their own words. It must be even worse today with the advent of AI.

One of the funniest skits IMHO was Tim Conway as a dentist trying to give Novocain.

Classic!

We watched the Carol Burnett show, too, we loved it. When she came down the staircase in the curtain rods in "Went With the Wind" my mom laughed for a straight fifteen minutes.

My favorite Carol Burnett skit is the outtakes of Tim Conway's improvised elephant story (it's not for kids). If anyone hasn't seen it yet, you're in for a treat!

Classic!

We watched the Carol Burnett show, too, we loved it. When she came down the staircase in the curtain rods in "Went With the Wind" my mom laughed for a straight fifteen minutes.

My favorite Carol Burnett skit is the outtakes of Tim Conway's improvised elephant story (it's not for kids). If anyone hasn't seen it yet, you're in for a treat!

My dad's favorite! He still cracks up every time he sees it

Classic!

YES!!!

When I was a kid in Denver, we lived next to an elderly (to me) lady named Mrs. Hicks, who said she had been Lawrence Welks' housekeeper for years.
BYC just destroyed my grammatically-enviable rant on journalists and genitive case for surnames ending in “S.” I should find new hobbies in life… :(
All that to say, thank you for spelling the possessive for “Welks” in the only manner I have learned is proper.
Sincerely, someone whose last name ends with “S” so I’ve had a lot of practice.
P.S. after saving my draft for the 3rd time, I will offer evidence for my diatribe: journalists of presumably well-respected publications have (with increasing frequency!!) written possessives of such proper nouns in the form of “Welks’s.” That’s when, irately, I read the term aloud as “Welks-es-es” because it was already “Welks-es” when written “Welks’” and close the article. Anything else they had to say is deemed worthless at this point.​
P.P.S. My original message was so much shorter, but at least I’ve saved the draft for this one 5 7 times. :he

Did anyone else wear white cotton gloves when they were growing up? When I was very young, women and girls still wore hats or veils and gloves to church. Between that and Girl Scout uniforms, the top drawer of my dresser was half filled with pressed pairs of white gloves neatly stacked on top of each other.

They were one of the few things I didn't get as hand-me-downs from my sisters because the gloves had to be pristine. We wouldn't be caught dead with a spot on our white gloves!

1710104312807.png

Did anyone else wear white cotton gloves when they were growing up? When I was very young, women and girls still wore hats or veils and gloves to church. Between that and Girl Scout uniforms, the top drawer of my dresser was half filled with pressed pairs of white gloves neatly stacked on top of each other.

They were one of the few things I didn't get as hand-me-downs from my sisters because the gloves had to be pristine. We wouldn't be caught dead with a spot on our white gloves!

View attachment 3768737
The world was once, more classy.

View attachment 3768737
I have a pair, I don’t know where they came from. I never wore them because I would have been laughed to scorn by the other girls at church. They were already making fun of my other clothes. :smack

I used to have a surname that ended in S, so I feel your irritation, @tranquiliti!

I also know that words and spellings change (tomorrow used to be to-morrow), and the English language is a living, growing, changing thing, and some people don't seem to know that they need an editor.

Related (really, but eventually), does anyone use the free version of Grammerly?

Hubby is writing a book. He found Grammerly online, and is using the free version to edit. Then he sends the chapter to me. Either he is ignoring the editing suggestions (he says he's not), or Grammerly (free version) doesn't know its its from its it's.

I cannot take an editing program seriously enough to pay for it if the free version doesn't catch that mistake.

Back
Top Bottom