I'm so old I Remember when:

'Cost-saving measures'. Same as self-scan at the grocery store. Heck, back in the day, you'd go to the grocer, give them your list, and they would get everything on it from the back!
You can do that again at some stores only you do it by computer. Place your order, pay by credit card, drive up and they'll even load it up in your car for you. Which works fine if you don't mind substitutes. Like skim milk instead of 2%, off-brand soup instead of name brand, a different brand of toilet paper, house brand whip cream in the can (gag!). No thanks.

You can do that again at some stores only you do it by computer. Place your order, pay by credit card, drive up and they'll even load it up in your car for you. Which works fine if you don't mind substitutes. Like skim milk instead of 2%, off-brand soup instead of name brand, a different brand of toilet paper, house brand whip cream in the can (gag!). No thanks.
I thought if they subbed, it was a better grade, not a lesser one. 😟 I hope whatever store you're shopping at refunded you the difference. Is there not a checkbox you can choose to accept or decline substitutes? 🤔

I'll never be able to let others pick out my groceries for me. I'm to choosey when it comes to meat and produce and I check dates on dairy and canned goods. 🧐

Last edited:
Are you allowed to change the topic of the conversation whenever you want?

I remember when we were on a road trip through New York and we came to a gas station where you weren't allowed to pump your own gas. Was that common way back then? When did self-serve gas pumps become common?
Unless it's very recently changed, you still cannot pump your own fuel in Jersey. State law.
I grew up in NYS and know people who, back in the day when you'd pump your own gas then go inside to pay, would pump to near full then reset the pump, dispense another few gallons, then as far as the cashier knew, all they were charged for was those last few gallons.

Unless it's very recently changed, you still cannot pump your own fuel in Jersey. State law.
I grew up in NYS and know people who, back in the day when you'd pump your own gas then go inside to pay, would pump to near full then reset the pump, dispense another few gallons, then as far as the cashier knew, all they were charged for was those last few gallons.
Well that's just plumb crooked.

I would ask, how does one "reset the pump" without paying, but I'd just as soon you not explain on a public forum.

I would ask, how does one "reset the pump" without paying, but I'd just as soon you not explain on a public forum.
How does "one" reset the pump at all?
As far back as I remember the cashier has to reset it.
I do remember when prepay became a thing because of the increase in drive offs.

I'll never be able to let others pick out my groceries for me. I'm to choosey when it comes to meat and produce and I check dates on dairy and canned goods.
Absolutely the same here.

I have to pick out the bananas. If they aren't to a certain color of yellow/ripeness, they do not ripen in my kitchen. If they're farther along, they'll be over ripe before I eat them all.

Absolutely the same here.

I have to pick out the bananas. If they aren't to a certain color of yellow/ripeness, they do not ripen in my kitchen. If they're farther along, they'll be over ripe before I eat them all.
It took many years of shopping to finally get the bananas according to my mom's standards...who knew buying bananas could be so difficult!

I worked at a gas station through the 70's. Back then all control of the pumps was at the pumps. None inside at the cashier. At least where I worked. I think that all changed as total self service took over.

Back
Top Bottom