I'm so old I Remember when:

I'm so old I remember the classified adds in a lot of magazines and news papers for such things as "old family recipes" that were offered for a dollar. "Send one dollar and a self addressed stamped envelope to". Later SASE was used for the instructions on how to buy. Many different adds were used for a wide variety of items. I don't know if this is still used or not as Facebook Market Place has really grown as a place to sell a diverse list of things.
There were also chain letters and pyramid schemes.

I remember buying cheap 35mm color film from Dale Labs. It was the leftovers from rolls that were used in shooting movies for the big screens. I would send a roll in for processing and would get a new roll back. If memory is right I could even get slides from the film I sent in with picture too.
I worked at a One-Hour photo lab. We ran a roll of that film through the C-41 processor (that was the name of the film developing chemistry) and found out that that film was not C-41 compatible. We had to dump all the chemistry and mix new. A giant headache.

TMI: the chemistry was "replenished," not replaced, so this was a very expensive mistake. What happened to that roll of film? The emulsion melted off and was all through the chemistry, on everything in the machine... and ruined other people's film.

Back
Top Bottom