I'm so old I Remember when:

You have to have special glasses to see it or you can ruin your eyes for life (blindness!)
I don't have special glasses...I guess I won't look at it at all, because I most definitely do not want to become blind! I read in a book though that there was a total eclipse back in 1919 or somewhere and people used smoked glass to view it with. What do y'all think of that?

I don't have special glasses...I guess I won't look at it at all, because I most definitely do not want to become blind! I read in a book though that there was a total eclipse back in 1919 or somewhere and people used smoked glass to view it with. What do y'all think of that?
I say save your retinas. You should see if you can find some or borrow some.

There is a way to make an indirect viewer using two sheets of paper. You use a pin to poke a hole in one sheet, and look at the image cast on the other sheet of paper, with the sun over your shoulder. You will not be gazing at the sun, but looking down at the bottom piece of paper, holding the pierced sheet above the other sheet. Google for better instructions.

There is a way to make an indirect viewer using two sheets of paper. You use a pin to poke a hole in one sheet, and look at the image cast on the other sheet of paper, with the sun over your shoulder. You will not be gazing at the sun, but looking down at the bottom piece of paper, holding the pierced sheet above the other sheet. Google for better instructions.
Similar approach - you can use a kitchen colander and look at the shadow created in the holes - I got some cool pics of that last time.
Also, look at reflection in water - fill a large feed bowl and let it settle so it is still and then watch it in there. I did that too and it was pretty good.

Have not heard .... ?
Okay, there's going to be a total eclipse of the sun on Monday, THIS COMING MONDAY, April 8, 2024, , about 2 pm -ish. It's a very big deal, over I think 15 states from Texas to Maine? . Please Google it. It's going right over my house, from start to finish it will last about 4 hours but totality will be about 4 minutes for us. You have to have special glasses to see it or you can ruin your eyes for life (blindness!) But it is absolutely awesome to witness. We had another one back in 2017 and it was ... incredible. We won't have another one till 2044, I'll be 91 so I def want to see this one. THOUSANDS of people are coming to see it, even tens of thousands from all over the world. It's a bigger deal than Moony, sorry Moony!
Were you in totality in 2017?
You can get special glasses almost anywhere. Even drugstores and Walmart. Just make sure they are NASA approved. You can also use a welder's helmet if you have one. Or order from Amazon if you have Prime, for the fast shipping

Back
Top Bottom