I'm Worried.......Very Worried.

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
I got a call this afternoon from our charge card Co. asking if I had made a $483.00 purchase at a shop and go store. I'm like NOOOOOO. Oh and was I at a Target store in New Jersey right now trying to make a purchase.......Um ..NOOOOOOOO. I am at my home in Arkansas.

So, now an investigation into this. It never happened to us before. I've heard it happens alot though.....just never to us........until today.

The woman said this crook was carrying a physical card. We have never lost a charge card and whenever we get updated ones.......we cut up the old ones.

Should I be worried? How could someone actually have a physical card when I've never lost one.

I have a feeling I'm not going to sleep well tonight.........
rant.gif

You should be worried.

Did you call the credit card company and cancel and dispute the charges? That needs to be done ASAP. Also, report to the police.

Ugh. Hope this gets resolved quickly for you!

I had my credit card stolen on line years ago from a $10 purchase I'd made that was apparently not on a secure site. It has cause YEARS of annoyance, as the credit card company flagged our card and now calls us any time we make a purchase over a few hundred $$ or if we're using hte card out of town. If you're traveling, you use your credit card, so you can only imagine how aggravating this is.

We always just used one cc to keep our spending down, but due to this experience, have had to get new ones and barely use the old one now.

ALWAYS cut up old credit cards, btw.

NEVER give out your cc # around other people and preferably not over a cell phone.

If I give my cc # to one of my kids to use, I send it via text and email, breaking it up into several transmissions so that none of it could be pieced together from any one transmission.

Good luck!

ok heres what happened to us
being of Dec. 2008 our bank called and asked if hubby was home or in FL (we live in WI) I told them he was here and gave him the phone. Someone was in FL using his debit card. He never lost his card, never out of his hands, etc. Someone had hacked into the bank system and got his number along with many other including my hubbys nephew and brother. They got over $2000 from our account, $1000 from brother in laws account, $900 from nephew and unknown amount from other accounts.
So yes it can happen.

Ugh! Very Scary,

File a police report

"Fraud Alerts" on every account you have, if you don't cancel

Contact the credit bureaus

Good luck

Imp

Did they ask for your information for verification? Are you absolutely sure the call was from the cc company?

How could a person get a physical card when we never lost one and always cut up the expired ones. We both checked while the card company was on the phone with us and we have our cards.

Never lost a wallet...charge card ....anything.

So how could someone in New Jersey have a card with our name and numbers.

Can't figure it out.

We have been with this company for years and they are very good at tracking. I get calls when I am purchasing something unusual or traveling and I always thank them for checking to make sure it's me doing the purchasing.

Shortcake - good point.

I got an automated call once from my "bank" asking that I call back and log in with my cc #.

Fortunately I was not a COMPLETE idiot and hung up, but it was a huge problem with our bank for awhile. Came from some offshore hackers that were never caught.

NEVER give out your cc# or ss # if there's the slightest doubt.

Back
Top Bottom