impacted crop - can you help?

freerangemeg

Hatching
Sep 20, 2015
I have three Orpington chickens (about 18 weeks old) and am experiencing problems with impacted crops. Two weeks ago I successfully treated one bird for this problem using lactulose and emeprid (and she appears entirely well now) but another is now showing the same problem (crop full in the morning before eating and the bird a little out of sorts and losing condition). I am unsure why this is happening. The birds are fed growers pellets by day and a little corn in the evening. I have tried offering leafy vege and grated carrot but they are not interested in it. The latest bird is eating feathers off the ground. I have therefore added mealworms into their diet in case she is short on protein. I have also introduced grit, but the pellets I feed are meant to have grit in so this was just a precaution. There is fresh water available at all times. They do not have access to grass but do forage in areas where there are trees etc. Does anyone have any ideas where I might be going wrong. These birds are family pets and I want to avoid losing them if I can. Thanks,

They do need grit - sharp grit, not just calcium grit that is in layer feed. Some chickens can find this in the soil (sharp granite grit) but to be safe it is good to have it available if they need it.

I occasionally toss some on the ground in the run. Others provide a dish with grit in it.

They do need grit - sharp grit, not just calcium grit that is in layer feed. Some chickens can find this in the soil (sharp granite grit) but to be safe it is good to have it available if they need it.

I occasionally toss some on the ground in the run. Others provide a dish with grit in it.
Absolutely, I agree with ChickensAreSweet. here ya go, here's some research I gathered on the subject:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom