Imprinting

Djmiller012

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Tabor, IA
I just got my chicks about an hour ago, and they didnt hatch in front of me, but can I still imprint them? And how? I tried but it doesnt seem to work...

lol
we got ours when they were a day old

its difficult to explain

well put your chicken about a metre in front of your body

sit down

cup your hands

turn them around and tap on the ground
and make a clucking or cheeping sound
what ever works best for you
and put your tapping hand a little infront of your chicken and draw your hand back
dont forget to make your sound

it'll take a while to work
it did for mine

Kinda, I'm not sure...I do kind of do a whistle chirp and he came the first couple of times, but then he would chirp really loud and run to the cage where the others are...

I also got mine when they were a day old and didnt do anything more special than handling them REALLY often (sometimes TOO much! lol) and now they run to me, climb up my pants, and peck lightly at me until I pay attention to them. They are now almost 4 weeks old. I do alot of cheeping/clucking to them, as well as saying "Come Chicken" to get them all to come to me (and it WORKS!). I have also found that going Ssh-ssh-ssh gets them to settle down/quiet down when they get too excited or upset. I have a few that have names and they are beginning to come when I call them by their names. Whenever I move the feeder or change the bedding (like when they moved from their pine shaving covered brooder box out to the coop today which has straw bedding) I kind of poke/peck at it and move it about with my hands. They immitate me and follow suit. Good luck with your chickens!

Okay! I would love it if mine could do that! It would be absoulately great!
cool.png
cool.png

P.S.- Whats cute cookie chick?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom