In for a penny....in for a pound.

Apprentice_egger

Songster
12 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Morrisville, Vermont
Hello everyone,

I guess this is the best place to post this. Last weekend I bought a GQF 1200 series Incubator and 2 GQF 1200 series Hatchers, so along with my still air tabletop incubator I have plenty of capacity. I would like to build up my flock of Cochins, but I'm not sure I want to hatch an entire flock as my first attempt at incubating. It also seems as though there are not many fertilized eggs available right now. A third problem is that I'd like pure bloodlines from which to breed a quality line of Cochins.

At some point I'd also like some OEGB and Silkies, but that's another project.

Practical advice here. Buy last years hens, or hatch some eggs?

A.e.

Ebay can also turn out horrible. Make sure you are buying from a good reputable breeder and are willing to take a hit on hatchability of shipped eggs!! Talk to the seller for a while and request more pics of the entire flock from anybody on Ebay. And STILL pray!!! My Delaware's from Ebay...WERE NOT DELAWARE'S! The pic was great, and looked NOTHING like the birds I got!! Buyer beware. If you just wanted hatchery rate birds..Ebay would be good, but not for good breeder stock. I did get some really great birds from Ebay too, very nice conformity, but I am just saying, be careful with it. It's a real crapshoot!

What Cindi said. There are SO many things that can go wrong with shipped eggs, but then there are things that go right. I have dealt with a few BYC members and have been well pleased thus far. Many of us on here can tell you who breeds what and you can look in the feedback forum and see their feedback. BYC members are brutally honest so you can bet if it's written, it's the truth LOL!!!! THere is also a breeders list on here if you use the search function up top. I used to breed cochins and they are hard to come by as of late. THe main thing is to research your seller, your breed, etc before you jump right in. Also, I personally would want to hatch eggs due to the fact of so many communicable diseases out there in poultry. BUT you also have to consider that it takes a cochin 10 months to start laying eggs.

welcome-byc.gif
from Alaska

I would try getting some eggs and hatching...

way more fun.

love.gif
to watch them grow..

Go for the hatch! Way more fun! I've bought eggs on Ebay from 9 different sellers, some shipped over 1500 miles. Of all the eggs most had more than 80% hatchablilty. Had some shipped from one seller - out of 18 only 3 or 4 ever veined. My problems have stemmed from my inexperience in incubating and getting the temp, humidity right. I have a limit of spending no more that 10 bucks per shipment. Sometimes I get great deals and sometimes I miss out. Some of the ebay sellers also are on the forums here.

So, I guess what I'm getting for responses is that I should definately try hatching some eggs...if I can find any.....from a known and reliable source, or at least one with fantastic ratings. But what about my inexperience level? Should I try a smaller hatch with some eggs that aren't top dollar to start my first run? Not inferior birds mind you, but a common breed that I can raise for meat or trade purposes. Maybe that's what I already have?
lol.png

It would also give my 10 year old daughter a chance to see what's involved in doing it simple.

I'll look around to see what is available for fertile eggs right now and see if I can add any more questions to the pot.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd spend some money from a reliable well known breeder for at least 24 fertile hatching eggs. (Personally I'd do 48) If you get a 50% hatch, that's 12, usually 6 roos and 6 pullets. keep the best two roos, rehome, sell or eat the others. Start with those and then add good blood lines for new blood the next year with another hatch.

That would probably be a good start and then you can go from there.

Have you decided on the variety of cochin? There are so many to choose from.

Well, I've been looking around and there doesn't seem to be much choice in Cochin eggs right now. I'm looking for Buff, Blue Spangle, Silver Laced, and probably Self Blue and Black? I want both Standard and Bantam. I do know where I might be able to get a couple more Buff hens and some Partridge hens. (Not eggs) I've looked on ebay and eggbid.com, but no luck.

Back
Top Bottom