in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

2682867554_aa3dbfc5b8_b.jpg
Haha! Aw thats so cute! He's like, " FREEZE! DROP THE NUTS!"

Adorkable,
I love the hen. Great nest she has. your creepy crawlies are good pics.
The top one will become a Zebra butterfly, I do believe. I plant fennel , parsley, and dill just for them. The bottom one- I squish.

Last edited:
Pretty, but nasty creepy crawlies I found in the garden.

The top one ~ GOOD caterpillar

The tobacco hornworm is the most commonly seen of the two, but both can be found in this region and may even be present on the same plant.
hrnwrm10.jpg

Tomato Hornworm
The presence of the hornworm may also be noticed because of the large, black droppings (frass) that accumulate on the ground beneath the affected plants.
hornworm.jpg

Hornworm with frass
Hornworm damage usually begins to occur in midsummer and continues throughout the remainder of the growing season.
CONTROL:
  • Handpicking. The large size of hornworms makes it easy to get hold of them. Once removed from the plant, they can be destroyed by snipping them in half with shears or dropping them into a bucket of water.
  • Rototilling. Turning up the soil after harvest will destroy any pupae that may be there.
  • Biological. Bacillus thuringensis, or BT (e.g., Dipel, Thuricide), is also considered very effective, especially on smaller larvae. Spray it as a precaution. Natural enemies, such as the parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on the hornworm's back, are common. If found, such worms should be left in the garden so the emerging wasps can parasitize other hornworms.
hrnwrm6.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom