in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

BUNNY YOU LIED!!! That was not a stick. I've never seen a stick that color
hide.gif

He lied to me. That is an Eastern Hognose, maybe a foot long. When I spotted him, he was less than 2 feet from one of my feet, and lying very, very still - doing his darnedest to convince me that he wasn't there.

Hog nose are the actors if the snake world. They are non venomous but do their best to convince you otherwise. When that fails, they play dead very dramatically with their tounges out and all. They also have a unique scent gland the omits a rancid scent that mimics decomposition. It's quite a sight to see.

Quote: Tiny little fangs, close to the angle of the jaw. I've watched them go through their "dying snake" act many times . . . funny thing, they seem to believe they can only be "dead" on their backs, because that's how they end up. If you try to turn a "dead" Hognose right side up, he'll immediately flip over on his back again.

Tiny little fangs, close to the angle of the jaw. I've watched them go through their "dying snake" act many times . . .  funny thing, they seem to believe they can only be "dead" on their backs, because that's how they end up. If you try to turn a "dead" Hognose right side up, he'll immediately flip over on his back again.

Lol! I remember finding one in the yard and called my mom over. Now she was truly scared of snakes, but I told her she had to see this one's performance. She actually enjoyed it very much and laughed. She then watched it from a distance to see how long it took to recover and move along. Good times! :gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom