in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

Hey diddle diddle, with the moon so low you can see how a cow can jump over it
tongue2.gif

Speaking of ssssticks, this one tried to abscond with a ceramic egg. He/she didn't think the escape plan through...

I've had to rescue a few snakes from that little miscalculation . . . . Yesterday, my "rat patrol" (a Green Rat Snake that is nearly 6 feet long now) got itself into real trouble. It tried to go into a chicken tractor that has 1" x 1" wire on it. Snake got about 18" of itself in, then got stuck, and couldn't back out, either. I had to cut the wire to free it. I hope it'll be OK - other than the shock of seeing it when I don't expect to, it's harmless, and the rodents can't hide from it. I just protect anything I care about (like baby rabbits and young chickens) and let the snake do its thing.
idunno.gif

I've had to rescue a few snakes from that little miscalculation . . . . Yesterday, my "rat patrol" (a Green Rat Snake that is nearly 6 feet long now) got itself into real trouble. It tried to go into a chicken tractor that has 1" x 1" wire on it. Snake got about 18" of itself in, then got stuck, and couldn't back out, either. I had to cut the wire to free it. I hope it'll be OK - other than the shock of seeing it when I don't expect to, it's harmless, and the rodents can't hide from it. I just protect anything I care about (like baby rabbits and young chickens) and let the snake do its thing.
idunno.gif
Same here. I watched this guy back himself out of the chicken wire before I left him on his own. I don't know if he survived the ceramic egg though. As it was at least 3/4 of the way down his body, there was nothing I could do to help with that situation. I haven't seen him again.

I'm happy to have snakes patrolling the barn and coop. As long as they are around I never see (or see evidence of) mice and rats. I don't even mind if they grab an egg for dinner. I have plenty to "pay" them with. I did remove the ceramic eggs from the nest boxes after seeing this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom