BlueHorse17

Free Ranging
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
USA
My Coop
My Coop
So we started off with 52 eggs. Candled them around day 7. After the candling it narrowed down to 40 that were developing. From day 1-17 we had temp at 99/100 and humidity at 50-55%. The incubator that is being used has a fan and is self-turning (turns eggs every two hours). The incubator has been kept in the garage.

Once day 18 hit we rose the humidity up to 70% (via recommendations on Purina’s website). Today is day 21 and we have only had three chicks hatch. Would have had two more but once the initial cracks were made there wasn’t anymore movement. The chicks dried up.

I was told during lockdown to never open the incubator, but my mother in law has been opening it like 2-3 times a day. Is it because of the frequent opening? Too high humidity?

I’ve used this incubator before in the past and have had successful hatches. Before though it was never opened during lockdown, and I had it inside the house in a closet.

Is the garage climate-controlled? If not, that could certainly be a factor. Also, are you using an independent hygrometer and thermometer, or relying on the incubator's display?
Using an independent hygrometer and thermometer. I’m wondering if the garage did play a huge factor, especially with it heating up so much during the day and then the temp almost cutting in half at night. Wouldn’t be from opening the incubator frequently?

Using an independent hygrometer and thermometer. I’m wondering if the garage did play a huge factor, especially with it heating up so much during the day and then the temp almost cutting in half at night. Wouldn’t be from opening the incubator frequently?
My guess is that the environment (and the fluctuating conditions you described) was a significant factor. Garage areas can also be drafty, which can cause issues for incubators.

While it's certainly possible to adversely impact the humidity in the incubator by frequently opening it, a forced/circulated air incubator can usually restore the humidity pretty quickly once it's closed again. As you know, though, opening the incubator should be limited during lockdown, and if the humidity dips and doesn't increase again after the incubator is closed, it needs to be manually increased by adding some additional moisture. I find that using new cellulose sponge pieces to help hold the moisture in the incubator will aid the restoration of optimal humidity levels during lockdown after the incubator has been (briefly) opened.

My guess is that the environment (and the fluctuating conditions you described) was a significant factor. Garage areas can also be drafty, which can cause issues for incubators.

While it's certainly possible to adversely impact the humidity in the incubator by frequently opening it, a forced/circulated air incubator can usually restore the humidity pretty quickly once it's closed again. As you know, though, opening the incubator should be limited during lockdown, and if the humidity dips and doesn't increase again after the incubator is closed, it needs to be manually increased by adding some additional moisture. I find that using new cellulose sponge pieces to help hold the moisture in the incubator will aid the restoration of optimal humidity levels during lockdown after the incubator has been (briefly) opened.
Thank you for your comment and advice. I think just to take further pre-caution next time there won’t be any incubators in the garage.

On a side note we had a second incubator in there (different type) with quail eggs that just started hatching and they seem to be fine and popping out like popcorn 🤦🏻‍♀️. That incubator was hardly opened though. I think I just feel more comfortable with them not in the garage. Could just be me but ah well!

You'll probably find that there is more consistency in holding temps and humidity if you keep the incubators in a room in your home where there's not a lot of traffic. Congratulations on your quail hatch! Maybe they're not as sensitive to fluctuations as chicken eggs.

You'll probably find that there is more consistency in holding temps and humidity if you keep the incubators in a room in your home where there's not a lot of traffic. Congratulations on your quail hatch! Maybe they're not as sensitive to fluctuations as chicken eggs.
Thank you! We are prepping to try it again but this time inside the house.

Back
Top Bottom