INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use an avianweb mini that came as an extra with our mini bator.  I just calibrated it  (stuck it in a baggie and then did the ice water method) and it was only .2 degress off :yesss: .  I like how small and portable they are.  You should try calibrating yours!  

(I didn't actually change the numbers on mine, I just wrote how off it was and do the math to make it the appropriate temp.)

Thanks! I Will calibrate it. I Do like the size of it also.

One of my eggs the air cell is on the side of the eggs and the embryo is on the big end should I be worried
a lot of times it does begin at the top at the air cell, and sometimes the air cell is at the side, sometimes they hatch fine, leave it grow, nothing you can do anyways.
I have one like it in the bator as well!

Welcome! @Hawk12 looks like there are several of us also on the Thanksgiving hatch-a-long thread here :)

@Sally Sunshine Sorry I saw your question about my dog in my avatar- Sadie is a Pitbull to the best we can tell. She was a rescue and had been malnourished and left to suffer with a dislocated hip. We've had her 4 years now :) She and her BFF Bunny (one of our rescued cats) absolutely love each other.

Edited to correct tags (had to switch from mobile to desktop to do that correctly!)
Sadie doesnt look like a pit I thought part aussie lol, and bunny is funny for a cats name!! ha ha ha

@Sally Sunshine , Thanks for the CoolerBator info! I really want one now! Do you happen to know how much power it takes to run one? We have an off grid home, so I'm limited on power usage. I'm glad to hear they are very stable temperature wise, my Foam incubator fluctuates as much as 10 degrees
hmm.png
thats too much flux, do you know when one of the kids left the cooler open a crack during lockdown during the hatchalong it was still the same exact temp the next morning with that wafer thermostat!

I have no clue how to figure all that out to be honest! that would be hard lol, how often it would run in a 70 degree house to keep a bator at 100 degrees with two 60 or 40 watt light bulbs and then the tiny computer fan runs..... you would have to calculate all that....... I will tell you later on when the house is up to temp how often it goes on and off and how long it stays on... I have windows open now and its cool...

reminder though as the embryos grow they create heat and less heat is actually needed

Well, candled today (Day 14) and my three little silkies are still going strong. Was a bit disappointing as nine of 12 eggs were clear, so hoping all three make it through.

It looked like I'd be doing a staggered hatch in the same bator with 6 ayam cemani's. However, day 7 and they all look clear to me. I've had three batches of this guy; the first one hatched and I have four DIS (my fault I think due to poor humidity). The second and third batches have all been clear - 12 eggs in total. Perhaps it's because its winter and his roo has lost interest in his girls? I don't know....won't be ordering any more from him, that's for sure!

Well, candled today (Day 14) and my three little silkies are still going strong. Was a bit disappointing as nine of 12 eggs were clear, so hoping all three make it through.

It looked like I'd be doing a staggered hatch in the same bator with 6 ayam cemani's. However, day 7 and they all look clear to me. I've had three batches of this guy; the first one hatched and I have four DIS (my fault I think due to poor humidity). The second and third batches have all been clear - 12 eggs in total. Perhaps it's because its winter and his roo has lost interest in his girls? I don't know....won't be ordering any more from him, that's for sure!
I just finished a Halloween hatch-along with all clears. It makes for a lot of frustration!

Yes, I am! I was shipped 6 legbars, 10 blue egger mixes, and 10 serama. I had to get both my incubators running to hold them all! Hopefully I have a good hatch as this is my first time doing shipped eggs.
Exciting stuff. I've only ever done shipped eggs - looking forward to next year when I can set some eggs from my own girls and, hopefully, get a better hatch rate.

I am copy pasting a message I have received from @Hawk12 Everyone welcome her to the thread please!

frow.gif
Welcome your eggs have a great chance at hatching! there are many experienced hatchers posting and lurking that can pop on to help when needed on this thread, and many people that are learning from everyone elses questions and experiences as well!

what breeds did you buy?
have you incubated before?
how much do you know about incubation?
what type of bator are you using?
have you found the article I put all the info in to help others Hatching 101

I am incubating blue and gold partridge brahmas, chocolate and molted/spangled orpingtons, dbl laced barnevelder (only 1 left out of 6) and 1 maline. I received eggs from 3 different sellers. I have incubated before but only about 4 times. I have ordered eggs on 3 of those and have yet to have a successful hatch on shipped eggs. I am determined to hatch shipped eggs but I have to admit it gets discouraging. I had a great hatch when I incubated my own eggs, nearly 100%. My incubator is a still air Styrofoam with an automatic egg turner. I have read through the Hatching 101 article, it is full of great information. The babies on my previous attempts with shipped eggs all made it to lockdown but then never hatched. They were moving and a shaking but then died before any pip occurred. I will include some pics with this message, it seems like all is going well but I've been here before...just hoping they hatch this time. You can see where the air cells are disfigured on some of the eggs. Thanks for reading, I appreciate all the advice I receive
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom