INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't make the knob covers like they used to. Now, there are holes in them that she already knows how to use. I have to actually place a lock on the door.

Use one of this

Yummy! I just tasted my first Rainbow that I raised. I wish it had been done when I got in from chores so I could have had a regular dinner even if it was late, but since it is past time for bed I had a bit just to try it. Dinner tomorrow is going to be deeeelish.
Night!
Have a great day @Akrnaf2!

Thanks freind, have a good night!

Last edited:
Hello all. Here comes another newby! I thought I would try to catch up from the beginning, but you all are just too far ahead of me and I have a question and can use a bit of encouragement.
I set 18 Ancona duck eggs in my Incuview on June 8. This is the first time I have tried incubating. So far the temperature is holding steady at 99.5 but I am concerned that the humidity is running too high. I put only about a forth cup water in the outside tray and the added hydrometer is registering as high as 77% except if I open the lid for some reason. I don't know if there is any way to adjust the humidity. We are having rainy, wet, cool weather up here in northwest Washington State, so I wonder if that is part of the problem. Some on the duck forum talk about incubating at like 35% humidity, so I feel really concerned that I may be spoiling this hatch with these high humidities. Any help or thoughts will be so appreciated.
Also, I'm still 'old school' where things were spelled out. Can anyone give me a list of all the abbreviations used in the control module? The instruction that came with the Incuview do not give this info.

Hello all. Here comes another newby! I thought I would try to catch up from the beginning, but you all are just too far ahead of me and I have a question and can use a bit of encouragement.
I set 18 Ancona duck eggs in my Incuview on June 8. This is the first time I have tried incubating. So far the temperature is holding steady at 99.5 but I am concerned that the humidity is running too high. I put only about a forth cup water in the outside tray and the added hydrometer is registering as high as 77% except if I open the lid for some reason. I don't know if there is any way to adjust the humidity. We are having rainy, wet, cool weather up here in northwest Washington State, so I wonder if that is part of the problem. Some on the duck forum talk about incubating at like 35% humidity, so I feel really concerned that I may be spoiling this hatch with these high humidities. Any help or thoughts will be so appreciated.
Also, I'm still 'old school' where things were spelled out. Can anyone give me a list of all the abbreviations used in the control module? The instruction that came with the Incuview do not give this info.
Hello JoyAnna. First I would candle to see where air cells are in your 8 day eggs. If they are too small, you must reduce humidity. Since surface area is more important than depth, you could remove all water from outer ring and see what the humidity is "dry". Your rainy weather could definitely affect it. If % drops too much, start adding water to smallest inner ring first. Wait to see change before adding more.
Please go to Hatching 101 Guide and scroll down to HUMIDITY for better explanation. At some point try to read the whole thing.
If your humidity doesn't drop sufficiently with water removal, try some of these ideas from Sally Sunshine.
Reducing humidity during the first 18 days of incubation

VENTILATION – Ventilation will increase air flow and help to reduce humidity. PULL THOSE RED PLUGS! IMPORTANCE OF FANS and HOW TO ADD ONE to your STYRO! post #58100

TEMPERATURE: Increase temperature to 100.5 to 101 CALIBRATED because warm air can hold more moisture (relative humidity decreases if temperature increases). HOW TO CALIBRATE post #9068

RUN the HUMIDIFIER,

RUN THE AC, USE EXHAUST FANS

Becoming mindful of the indoor and outdoor Humidity and temperatures, keep the bator away from the kitchen and shower area. Make full advantage of the exhaust fans, cooking pasta etc, and taking showers will raise humidity in that area, make sure those vents are vented to the outside of the home. Also vent clothes dryers outside.

COARSE SALT: salt is one of the most absorbent natural products out there and it also combats moisture in walls.

CHARCOAL: Charcoal briquettes can also be effective in absorbing moisture and eliminating musty odors. Kingsford original has no added fire starting chemicals. DampRidis also a product made to remove humidity and odors, with activated charcoal.

BAKING SODA: Baking soda sucks in the excess dampness and holds it, replace when damp.

SILICA: You can buy it in pet stores; they use it for kitty litter.

WHITE DRY RICE Combined with SALT: Before it is cooked, dried rice has the capacity to absorb a good deal of moisture its best to add salt as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yummy! I just tasted my first Rainbow that I raised. I wish it had been done when I got in from chores so I could have had a regular dinner even if it was late, but since it is past time for bed I had a bit just to try it. Dinner tomorrow is going to be deeeelish.
Night!
Have a great day @Akrnaf2!

Is that what they mean by "taste the rainbow!" :lau I thought they meant candy.

6 Marans
1 Welsummer
10 Polish
4 Bresse
22 Easter eggers
23 my barnyard mutts
So 66 total

So just a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom