INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the damage the termites (gone for three years) did. It could have been so much worse, but it is almost too much! So many things wrong that should have been fixed when the money was there. :hit

Quote: I forgot about ducks because my brain is malfunctioning!! Sorry about the hen, you say they have mareks? I have found the crazy physco breed to be very hardy, so sorry. :(
They have been very hardy except in this one aspect, and so far only in two of three hens (and now in one of those hens' offspring). My rooster and the third hen are resistant so far. Goal is to get to where I never have this happen any more. I actually really like them, or I wouldn't bother with all of this. Gotta get through identifying resistance in all first.
hmm.png

Got three of six coops all freshened up, now gotta head to the feed store for more bedding.

- Ant Farm
You 'spose keeping a small tabletop fan blowing across the carcass while working on it would be strong enough to keep the flies away?
You know, that's a good idea...

Quote:
I use the round plastic Fortex 3 gallon feeding pans. Speaking of which, I need to go out and refresh them...
I'm no expert on diseases, but it wasn't cocci, was it? I ask because when mine had cocci (the vet said that's what it was), they would droop their wings, get pretty thin, and eventually just lay down and sadly die. I'm sure you know way more than I do about this sort of thing, but I just figured I'd share my $.02.
No, I don't think it's cocci - I'm very familiar with that, and have battled it a few times this spring with our heavy flooding rains and constantly wet bedding. Her mother died exactly the same way about 4 months ago, pale and wasting, and I did a necropsy on her (cut her open) - full of tumors. And this girl went so fast after she started drooping that I don't think I could have done anything regardless of what it was. But I'm getting a necropsy done at Texas A&M, so they'll be able to tell me, which will help with my others, or at least help me know and plan...

Finished refreshing all bedding in the coops and taking a break from the heat. But break time is over - I need to scrub out the waterers with soap for the week. I have to leave early in the morning to get to the poultry lab and then back in time for meetings at work, so no chore time tomorrow morning.
he.gif

- Ant Farm

hey guys i have an egg with an air sac on the side 0<-- on the egg and it is day 7 the cick is normal i am just wondering if i should leave it in the egg turner or hand turn it or make a separate incubator.... Please PM me i NEED HELP

LOL! Twice in two minutes?
My aircells were on the side when I had them laying down during incubation. Unless you mean a saddle cell. That would have been seen on day one.

Haven't been on here for a while!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I lost 6 chickens to the heat lately. Right now, it's reaching 115 at my house. To keep my birds cool, I put ice in their water's I give them a lot of shade, and I put a fan in there henhouse. Is there any other things I can do to keep them cool? I don't want to loose anymore. I also wet the ground were there laying sod they have a nice cool spot to lay in.

Quote:

You know, this may be why I dont have any issues, I have yet to ice a waterer in all these years, plus my birds are in the woods in the shade in the summer, in the winter the leaves are gone so the sun shines in the runs..... But I do at a gram of this to a gal waterer during molt, all summer, and during really cold times in the winter.

HEAT STRESS and cheap Vits/Electrolytes at Jefferslivestock online

Specifications:

per 4 oz.

per lb.
Vitamin A (IU MIN)

Vitamin D3 (IU MIN)

Vitamin E (IU MIN)

Riboflavin (MG MIN)

d pantothenic Acid (MG MIN)

Folic Acid (MG MIN)

Thiamine Mononitrate (MG MIN)

Niacinamide (MG MIN)

Pyridoxine HCL (MG MIN)

Ascorbic Acid (MG MIN)

Vitamin B-12 (MG MIN)

Menadione (MG MIN)

Salt

11.0% (MIN) 13.2% (MAX)
Sodium

4.7% (MIN)
Potassium

3.8% (MIN)
Magnesium

0.26% (MIN)

PER ozexpat.... It lacks 2 things that I want to give my birds - Biotin and Selenium

I add some ground up human tablets I buy in bulk - just 5 tabs per 100lb of feed for adult birds.

just 1 gram is enough for 1 gallon of water

I wanted to show you what I use for my chicks because of the serama and their "lifted butt" they have a better tendency to get pasty butt the first few days of life.

I use grow gel, sometimes I even put it in the bator as the first several hatch,because the eggs can be of all sizes some tend to hatch hours earlier than others, and I like to keep as many chicks in the bator as I can to get them all to hatch as quickly and get it over and done with, so they get hungry and the grow gel gives them a great start in life and helps give them something to do, but I put marbles in it so they dont get stuck in it of course! I make enough to make about a teaspoon or two when it has water in it, then let them finish it up in the brooder. I add this pro vits to the waterer.......

Anyways this is what they get in their waterer...... I know it doesnt look like a lot is in there, but it goes a long way in chick waterers and I only give it the first two weeks and then I add AVC into their water WELL worth the money, and they grow and feather faster! I swear by this stuff!! I never loose chicks in the brooder! but mind you I DO NOT ASSIST CHICK HATCHING EITHER!!! BECAUSE WE SELL CHICKS!

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884b09fa2600f000004ae

Vets Plus Poultry ProVita

Item #0040957
$7.99

Poultry ProVita is suggested as a supplemental source of vitamins and direct-fed microbials (probiotics) along with Inulin (prebiotics) for backyard poultry. It can be used for all classes of poultry during times of stress. Use daily or during shipping, receiving, vaccination, debeaking, molting, peak production, hot weather, etc.

Directions For Use:

• always prepare fresh solution
  • mix one scoop per gallon of drinking water
  • discard unused portions after 12 hours
  • one gram scoop included

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/grogel-plus-b
GroGel Plus-B

Item #0040636
A hatchling supplement for day-old poultry. Comes as a dry powder to mix with water forming a bright shiny green, bite-sized gel that attracts the attention of all poultry species. Provides hydration and concentrated nutrients along with beneficial bacteria that helps hatchlings get off to a good start.

Quote: I pray it works!

I don't know if they did have it before or not like I said they man that have them to me had saw dust on them
@runt325 you need to go back and read about the cocci meds. I first would keep them in the brooder and give them electrolytes, you say week old chicks they need 90 temp at one corner of the brooder to get warm and then the rest of the brooder should be cooler, FREE OF DRAFTS. DO NOT put them outside yet, give them at least two more weeks before you put them out during the day. I do not think you have worms, cocci perhaps. If they have runny poop try giving them PLAIN Yogurt, or if you have probiotics give them that. or Pumpkin. Not too much pumpkin just a little.

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks
2 C. Water
2 TBL. Brown Sugar, honey or molasses
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
Mix until all dry ingredients dissolve & Keep refrigerated
You could also use electrolyte drinks Gatorade or Pedialyte, or
3 drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins)
Slowly drip along inner edge of lower beak.

PLEASE READ
How To Raise Baby Chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

All about COCCI Prevention Vaccines TREATMENTS Poo Samples post #70896

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom