INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to dabble in it from time to time. They ever get that big fire by the Fort put out?

It's still burning, contained, but not controlled is what the status is now.
They have managed to back burn and create fire breaks all around it, and the plan is to let it burn itself out now.
It is no longer threatening any towns or mining and oil operations, but it still is burning.
They expect it will likely take most of the summer to burn itself out.
Huge area, last I heard it was over 1500 square miles of forest
Only hear about it once in a while now.

It's still burning, contained, but not controlled is what the status is now.
They have managed to back burn and create fire breaks all around it, and the plan is to let it burn itself out now.
It is no longer threatening any towns or mining and oil operations, but it still is burning.
They expect it will likely take most of the summer to burn itself out.
Huge area, last I heard it was over 1500 square miles of forest
Only hear about it once in a while now.
:th That's a big fire. Glad it's at least not threatening anything anymore.

:th That's a big fire. Glad it's at least not threatening anything anymore.

Yes, no more people in danger, but what a desolate sight in a beautiful landscape.
Will be like that for many years.
Now they are saying it was likely caused by human activity, not lightning as was first suspected.
Don't know how they can determine that, but a huge waste either way

Yes, no more people in danger, but what a desolate sight in a beautiful landscape.
Will be like that for many years.
Now they are saying it was likely caused by human activity, not lightning as was first suspected.
Don't know how they can determine that, but a huge waste either way
Yea burn scars like that are just a desolate wasteland at first. I've never understood how they can determine that with forest fires either.

What kind of forest; hardwood or pulp? Thinking about paper mills, lumber companies, plywood manufacturers, etc
good evening Ken!
A lot of both.
that area was primarily virgin boreal forest.
not a lot of harvesting going on, as it is just north of two National park areas, and too far from most of the processing operations.
We drove through the area last July, glad we got to see it before it became the wasteland it is now.

Yea burn scars like that are just a desolate wasteland at first. I've never understood how they can determine that with forest fires either.
It will take years to rejuvenate, but that is the beauty of nature.
Unfortunately, due to the remote location and the public pressure not to selectively harvest the timber in those areas, the whole mountain range has become a major fire waiting to happen.
That is how nature corrects itself. let an area get overgrown, and disease or fire gives it a cleansing and readies it for re-birth.
looks ugly as sin in the process, but it has been working for millions of years.

Unfortunately, due to the remote location and the public pressure not to selectively harvest the timber in those areas, the whole mountain range has become a major fire waiting to happen.
 That is how nature corrects itself. let an area get overgrown, and disease or fire gives it a cleansing and readies it for re-birth.
looks ugly as sin in the process, but it has been working for millions of years. 
Yes it has been.

The good news is it will come back stronger than it was, with little to no underbrush. The bad news is you will never see it
too true. It will take generations for it to fully recover.
we have an area just north of us (about 20 miles) that burned ten years ago, new growth is starting to take over for the blackened skeletons of what was once there.
Conservation opened the area up to harvest the burned trees after the fire, but still a lot of standing dead wood remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom