INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go down to 55 if they're extremely dark.
I went down to 50 after losing a bunch of birds a couple years ago and I'm sorry I did.
Ideally, I'd like to hatch from 60-70 gram eggs.
That may not happen till next year.

So what do you feed them to keep them away from the chickens?

What's the temperature there?
It was about 80 yesterday, but I was watching them very closely and they had fresh air, garage door opened, lots of cool water, and food all day.

Why are you sorry that you did?
The ones that hatched from the small eggs, never did lay eggs up to the standard weights.

It was about 80 yesterday, but I was watching them very closely and they had fresh air, garage door opened, lots of cool water, and food all day.
Any other symptoms besides lethargy and thin? I wish it was only 80 here. So that omits heat stress.
Have you ever given probiotics?
Do they have excellent ventilation 24/7? Not just during the day.

Last edited:
Morning Everyone. I am at work so just popping in. Strange happenings with the quail. The ones hatching that are not in the turner are splayed leg or worse. The ones from the turner are active and healthy.

Morning Everyone. I am at work so just popping in. Strange happenings with the quail. The ones hatching that are not in the turner are splayed leg or worse. The ones from the turner are active and healthy.
Morning. Strange indeed.

The ones that hatched from the small eggs, never did lay eggs up to the standard weights.
Interesting correlation.

Any other symptoms besides lethargy and thin? I wish it was only 80 here. So that omits heat stress.
Have you ever given probiotics?
Do they have excellent ventilation 24/7? Not just during the day.
Not really, found it laying on its side, now it is standing, but tips over forward. Still won't eat or drink. Empty crop. Rear end looks like it had diarrehea. After electrolytes, it is moving it's head around a bit, and making some normal sounds, but still not anywhere near good yet.
Garage door closed at night, but we have a window and sunporch door open all night. Others are fine.

Last edited:
Help please: I have a beautiful SQ silkie that is 4 months old, and that I hatched and raised myself, and that seemed perfectly healthy yesterday. Today, its crop is empty, it is laying on its side, it isn't eating or drinking, and I'm very worried that I am going to lose it. I put some electrolytes in its water and dipped its beak. It is now standing up, but does not look good. What do I do? It does look like it may have had diarrhea, but no blood in stool. It seems very thin. The rest are all doing well.
My guess is egg bound. It is common in pullets just starting out. Give it a warm bath in the house, and try olive oil too.

I'll go down to 55 if they're extremely dark.
I went down to 50 after losing a bunch of birds a couple years ago and I'm sorry I did.
Ideally, I'd like to hatch from 60-70 gram eggs.
That may not happen till next year.

So what do you feed them to keep them away from the chickens?
I wish I knew. The deer, squirrels, bear (though they were rare, they were around) wild turkeys and all the others stopped showing up within a month of my first and second flock being here. It is kinda nice to be honest. I miss the squirrels, but the rest were annoying.

Good morning! Odd about the hatch.

Which percentage humidity do you guys average in your incubators?
hu.gif
Mine is usually around 45%.
Quote:
I don't check humidity.
hide.gif
I fill containers with water at the beginning and don't add again unless the eggs start losing too much weight. Then I fill again at the end.

Ambient humidity can vary widely depending on if the AC is on and if the incubator is in a spare room or the cellar.
As an example, I set an egg that was 66.4 grams. after 16 days, it was 60.9 grams. It should have been 59.5 grams. The incubator is dry so I'm not adding water till day 19 and it should be close to where it needs to be.

What is the floor covering?

Morning. Strange indeed.

Interesting correlation.
I was told by old timers many years ago that continuously hatching from pullet eggs will get you a line that will always lay eggs well under the size appropriate for the breed.
That has been my experience as well.

Whatever the standard of a breed is; feather, leg and beak color, size, shape, comb, earlobes, color of eggs, egg production, etc. One needs to select for all of those traits to maintain and improve them.
Many years ago, people started focusing on color and size/shape of barnevelders and lost the dark egg color of most lines.
In Marans and Penedesencas, it is easy to lose the dark shell.
That and egg size are easy to select for. Without trap nesting or pairing, egg production of individual hens is hard to determine.

Not really, found it laying on its side, now it is standing, but tips over forward. Still won't eat or drink. Empty crop. Rear end looks like it had diarrehea. After electrolytes, it is moving it's head around a bit, and making some normal sounds, but still not anywhere near good yet.

You may have to tube feed for a bit to get some nutrition in it.
What are you feeding? Try some yogurt mixed with feed.
Having a fecal sample read would be a good thing to do if you can get one.

Last edited:
@[@]BantyChooks[/@]

Little Giant
4th Hatch
7-24 Coturnix Quail 13 out of 51 so far
8-14 Jersey Giant 14 in the bator 4 under a hen

I was told by old timers many years ago that continuously hatching from pullet eggs will get you a line that lays eggs well under the size appropriate for the breed.
That has been my experience as well.
So do you think setting undersized eggs once would effect plans in the long run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom