INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I do think it is too young to be egg bound. Definitely around 15 weeks old. But, thanks for the thought. I am currently just trying to get some water and electrolytes into it. It is still standing up, and some of the water drips out, but some is getting in. Before it was laying on its side, so that is a small improvement. My plan is to do that and see if I can perk it up a bit. Then, if I can get it back, I will treat for Cocci or worms, and I'm not sure which to go with. I probably can't treat for both at the same time, right? I do wonder if it is really either one of them, but need to try something. One thing I did notice, is that the top of its beak is a lot longer and curved over the bottom of its beak. I wonder if it is having trouble eating because of this. If I can get it to perk up, I may try to trim that back, to see if that helps. Everyone else seems very healthy. In the meantime, I am working on building their coop, to get them outside. They are in a kennel in my garage right now, and I move them outside on the grass everyday. It is a lot of work, but it is well worth it. I really don't want to lose this chick. I'm tempted to just try everything, but can't overwhelm it with help either. It is so hard to be patient. And, it is really scary trying to decide which strategy to go with. I like the idea of the poly vi sol and other goodies too. Which do I go with? worms, cocci (no blood in any of their poo at all), or vitamins and nutrients? Or do I do the beak trim? Can I treat for multiple things at once?

Last edited:

Cool! I also have the White Faced Black Spanish on my wish list as well! And White Minorcas.

- Ant Farm
The only place that has White Minorcas in the country that I'm aware of is Sandhill.

Thanks everyone. I do think it is too young to be egg bound. Definitely around 15 weeks old. But, thanks for the thought. I am currently just trying to get some water and electrolytes into it. It is still standing up, and some of the water drips out, but some is getting in. Before it was laying on its side, so that is a small improvement. My plan is to do that and see if I can perk it up a bit. Then, if I can get it back, I will treat for Cocci or worms, and I'm not sure which to go with. I probably can't treat for both at the same time, right? I do wonder if it is really either one of them, but need to try something. One thing I did notice, is that the top of its beak is a lot longer and curved over the bottom of its beak. I wonder if it is having trouble eating because of this. If I can get it to perk up, I may try to trim that back, to see if that helps. Everyone else seems very healthy. In the meantime, I am working on building their coop, to get them outside. They are in a kennel in my garage right now, and I move them outside on the grass everyday. It is a lot of work, but it is well worth it. I really don't want to lose this chick. I'm tempted to just try everything, but can't overwhelm it with help either. It is so hard to be patient. And, it is really scary trying to decide which strategy to go with. I like the idea of the poly vi sol and other goodies too. Which do I go with? worms, cocci (no blood in any of their poo at all), or vitamins and nutrients? Or do I do the beak trim? Can I treat for multiple things at once?
IMHO, go with nutrition first. If it were coccidiosis, it wouldn't have been fine one day and down the next. If you get it to eat, collect a fecal sample and have it read for worms.

No offense but if it has a beak problem, that would detract from it's eligibility as show quality.

Last edited:
The only place that has Whit Minorcas in the country that I'm aware of is Sandhill.

IMHO, go with nutrition first. If it were coccidiosis, it wouldn't have been fine one day and down the next. If you get it to eat, collect a fecal sample and have it read for worms.

No offense but if it has a beak problem, that would detract from it's eligibility as show quality
Yep, I agree about the beak. I just noticed that when I was trying to get it to drink. The beak is normal shape, but the top is definitely growing longer, which is not a good thing. And, that was my thought about the cocci.

Last edited:
The only place that has White Minorcas in the country that I'm aware of is Sandhill.

No offense but if it has a beak problem, that would detract from it's eligibility as show quality.

Yep, I agree about the beak. I just noticed that when I was trying to get it to drink. The beak is normal shape, but the top is definitely growing longer, which is not a good thing. And, that was my thought about the cocci
Update, I just got her to swallow a good amount of water, but it went right through to a watery puddle on the ground. Definite diarrhea. Should I begin treatment for worms?

I would expect the offspring to have caught up in body size after a while. Like you said though if everything else is up to par egg size is easy to select for.
It's interesting we were having this discussion. I was looking for Austrian standards for alsteirers for Pens. I read something that said they all should lay at least 55 gram eggs.
It reiterated over and over to pay special attention to that and any birds laying smaller than 55 gram eggs shouldn't be used for breeding.
It said whether breeding for hobby or exhibition, please do not use eggs under 55 gr for breeding !!!

Apparently it is well known the effect hatching from small eggs has on future generations.

Last edited:
you are not!!! bahahhahhaaaaaa too funny!!!

:oops:

Well, one of my pet peeves is not using uppercase "I". I used to not use uppercase very much, due to fat fingers & small screen. So I could not look at my old posts without wincing, and I could not edit them either. Now, since I can edit, problem solved! I no longer have to look like I skipped 4th grade. :yesss:

lol I am not a fan of partying, I would sooner do something else I guess. I used to have tons of picnics and parties and dinners. Now I prefer a quiet meal or just doing something else with the kids where there are not many other people.

I just thought it would be a good use of the meat. Call it an impromptu family reunion.
hide.gif

Well, one of my pet peeves is not using uppercase "I". I used to not use uppercase very much, due to fat fingers & small screen. So I could not look at my old posts without wincing, and I could not edit them either. Now, since I can edit, problem solved! I no longer have to look like I skipped 4th grade.
yesss.gif
That's why I like using a real keyboard. I can type, I just can't use those little cave man keyboards.

hide.gif

Well, one of my pet peeves is not using uppercase "I". I used to not use uppercase very much, due to fat fingers & small screen. So I could not look at my old posts without wincing, and I could not edit them either. Now, since I can edit, problem solved! I no longer have to look like I skipped 4th grade.
yesss.gif
But you still look like that.

It's interesting we were having this discussion. I was looking for Austrian standards for alsteirers for Pens. I read something that said they all should lay at least 55 gram eggs.
It reiterated over and over to pay special attention to that and any birds laying smaller than 55 gram eggs shouldn't be used for breeding.
It said whether breeding for hobby or exhibition, please do not use eggs under 55 gr for breeding !!!

Apparently it is well known the effect hatching from small eggs has on future generations.
That is interesting. Wouldn't egg size be easy to select for though? Maybe it's not as easy with such a small gene pool to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom