INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer - mine do not free range.

Thei current day pen does not have a storm shelter though it is under a sugar maple. When high winds or hail are expected I bring them in.

I've never had an egg bound bird live more than 3 days. That's not enough time to get skinny.

They were a little small but that and egg size are the only things I'd suspect to be a problem. After all, albumen quality is higher in pullet eggs, there is just limited space and less finite nutrition in general.

Are you sure the hen's combs aren't supposed to flop over?
I've had people argue with me about that saying my birds weren't up to par. Almost every Mediterranean breed hen is supposed to flop over. This moron that argued with me had never had Meds.
Personally, given the small gene pool, I would use her. Even if the comb is a problem, that is something that can be corrected down the road. I would hatch as many as you can, select for shape and go from there.
Aren't they Austrian? I'll see if I can find one in German. I used to be able to speak it pretty well.

Yes Austrian origin. That would be great if you could translate. The one site you have me says comb slightly bent is good. Doesn't say flopped. The other three are slightly bent. These combs are shorter in height than the standard meds. They almost make an s shape looking from the top down.
I'm not sure about the comb but the color of that one is also different lighter like Sulmtaler just not big enough. The guy I got them from also has Sulmtaler.
I've asked on the Altsteirers thread if anyone knows the standard there. After looking at their pictures the flopped comb is fine

Wife says we can get her so now I've just got to work out shipping arrangements with Brice. Don't want to ship in this heat.

Thanks again. Stay cool over there. We're supposed to reach 108 today but I don't think it will. Day started cooler than what a 108 day would. We will see

I would agree that if you have multiple egg sizes and you use the small ones that you are going backwards. I wonder though if you only have small ones to chose from how much that would affect future generations. Specifically if you only do it once and then after that select for egg size.

I take it you are getting mostly eggs smaller than standard.
All you can do is go for it and set the largest eggs you have that are the appropriate color.

I've had birds off and on for 6 decades but have only been breeding chickens about 7 years.
That isn't a great deal of experience so I defer to those that have been breeding much longer than I for guidance.

Morning Everyone. I am at work so just popping in. Strange happenings with the quail. The ones hatching that are not in the turner are splayed leg or worse. The ones from the turner are active and healthy.

what do you have them on in the brooder?  papertowels I hope?

Yes paper towels on brooder floor. Probiotics and electrolytes as well.

do you have probiotics you can give? I am so sorry, with my knowledge of young birds, I would automatically treat with corid or a sulfa med. and ad electrolytes and I have proprebiotics.

I dont tube feed chickens, but she may need fluids and tube feeding.... see Kathys signature for links on them
@casportpony
Thanks, I'm going to go ahead and start the Corrid. That is more of an emergency and more of a quick killer, so will go with that. I do have all of the stuff you mentioned in stock for "just in case" after reading all of your posts on the hatch a longs! Thank you so much for your help, and thanks to everyone else too. I hope I can save her.

Short answer - mine do not free range.

Thei current day pen does not have a storm shelter though it is under a sugar maple. When high winds or hail are expected I bring them in.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom