INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor said she saw something tiny in the yard and it's a guinea keet! She's bringing it to me. Think I can put it with the broody?
awwww, wonder where it came from, think your guineas had a hidden nest?

I pulled a chick from under her then put them both back. They're exactly the same size. :love
so cute! Anyone else have guineas near you?

Goat friends: I banded the little buckling tonight and now he's just laying there crying. The other boys didn't react that way. Does banding affect individuals differently? I caught both for sure... I was worried the band was a little bit low, but my farm friend double checked when she dropped off the keet and said it looks ok. She said to give him baby Tylenol, but I didn't because I've since read that isn't good for them...

My neighbor said she saw something tiny in the yard and it's a guinea keet! She's bringing it to me. Think I can put it with the broody?
awwww, wonder where it came from, think your guineas had a hidden nest?

I pulled a chick from under her then put them both back. They're exactly the same size. :love
so cute! Anyone else have guineas near you?

You would quarantine or you would chance it? She has tons of birds out there, and between her guineas and Muscovies someone is always broody and setting.

@mlm Mike She said we do get it here, I'm not sure what she saw to go with the treatment she gave me, but she said she would not be improving if it was the worm. I will ask her another time what made her go the other direction.
Great, I'd like to hear.

Quote: I hope you do.
@mlm Mike I asked what else she saw to help me learn though experience is the key I am sure in diagnosing. She said they all show up clearly in the rear first (Listeriosis, Pollio, a number of other neurological problems, and the worm. Pollio is easiest to treat, Listeriosis less so, and the worm is often fatal even with treatment. Thus with her having eyes that weren't quite right along with her mentation. Thus we start with this and if she doesn't continue to improve try to treat for the worm.
She stood up much more normally this morning and was much more mobile last night than she was the day before. Treat, observe as much as I can, and wait. I also need to read up on mentation.
I'm glad she seems to be heading in the right direction. When I went through this a few years ago, we treated for all three. I don't recall exactly, but he said could be atypical Listeriosis , Polio, or deer worm. I don't recall exactly why he called it atypical, but it had something to do with her rear, and she wasn't listing, or walking in circles, brain seems fine, just couldn't control back legs. She lived through it, still has back leg issues, but gets around pretty good. Completely unbreedable though.

I like hearing what your vet has to say, you're the only other person I know that has a livestock vet that has an interest in goats. My vet grew up on a goat dairy farm.

Although, I do hate that you are having a rough year with a couple of goats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom