INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The neighbors texted this morning they said a grey fox got four of there chickens, 1 duck, and 2 Guineas between 6:30-7:00. He said his wife shot at it but missed. I think they have gotten 3 fox alreay this year. We haven't seen any fox over here I hope I don't either.
If you do, I suggest a great Pyr, my puppy today was even pulling our barn cat away from my pet house chickens when it was out in a rabbit hutch. She didn't kill our cat, but if he keeps trying to eat the chickens, she may eventually put him out of his misery.

Live stock guardian dogs trained to protect your flocks are better than almost any other deterrent.

So, if parent chickens had coccidia as babies, survived, grew up, and layed eggs. The eggs were incubated in an incubator, and upon hatch were immediately sent to another farm all together with no coccidia in the pens, would the newly hatched chicks still get coccidia?

I'm tempted to say yes, because it is a natural occurring protozoa present in all chick and chicken guts and outbreaks usually have environmental factors (wet ground or bedding, dirty water for examples). But maybe one of the smart folks will answer also. :oops:

​So basically does every single chicken carry it, even very healthy ones, but it just gets out of control when environmental conditions are bad?

That is my understanding, yes. It's very easy for chicks to get, which is why there is medicated chick feed. Oocytes (eggs) are dispelled in the poop. Then oocytes are eaten in soiled feed, polluted water, or excessively wet ground/bedding. They don't pose a problem until there is an overload of them in the gut, and that's when the chickens get sick.

Hopefully @casportpony can check my math on this one.

Quote: interesting!!! what is the main meal!!

WOWZA!!
4 type of salads
Fish
Meat balls in sauce
Beef pot rost in aromatic herbs
Debone chickens Stuffed with mushroom spinach and pine nuts stuffing
Honey cake, chocolate cake, home made ice cream, wine fruit, coffee herbal tea and home made bred.
Sounds like a delicious meal!

started working on the brooder using what I had laying around, 2 old dog houses put together back part has a light in it for warming gotta run power to it, not fancy, I think it will wok out
Very nice, should work out just fine.

All my serama eggs have pips!

two are mals but chirping!! yes I pulled and checked those two
hide.gif
woot.gif

So, if parent chickens had coccidia as babies, survived, grew up, and layed eggs. The eggs were incubated in an incubator, and upon hatch were immediately sent to another farm all together with no coccidia in the pens, would the newly hatched chicks still get coccidia?
Coccidia is basically in all the ground.

Quote: Basically that is correct, it is when they carry to high a load that it becomes an issue.

That is my understanding, yes. It's very easy for chicks to get, which is why there is medicated chick feed. Oocytes (eggs) are dispelled in the poop. Then oocytes are eaten in soiled feed, polluted water, or excessively wet ground/bedding. They don't pose a problem until there is an overload of them in the gut, and that's when the chickens get sick.

Hopefully @casportpony can check my math on this one.
I was also told that incorrect brooding teps can contribute to it. I swear with the rain I have been battling it lately and I got a bad batch of birds fro a hatchery I will not name on this thread but they came sick with it. Lady said the stress of the trip cause it. I wonder if incubator conditions can cause it too???

I was also told that incorrect brooding teps can contribute to it. I swear with the rain I have been battling it lately and I got a bad batch of birds fro a hatchery I will not name on this thread but they came sick with it. Lady said the stress of the trip cause it. I wonder if incubator conditions can cause it too???

So if you had chicks who had it when they were little, you don't have to get rid of the chicks if you want to breed later on. You could actually use them for breeding?

​So if you had chicks who had it when they were little, you don't have to get rid of the chicks if you want to breed later on. You could actually use them for breeding?

Yes. It's more like having a heavy worm load than contracting one of those highly contagious respiratory illnesses.

Yes. It's more like having a heavy worm load than contracting one of those highly contagious respiratory illnesses.

Ok, I have one batch that had it, and I have been very careful about not letting them anywhere near my other chickens, who never had it. I was religiously cleaning their waterer and feeder, and keeping them far away from any other chickens, and even went as far as to boil their waterer and feeder before using it anywhere else. I was thinking that I always needed to keep them isolated because it would be in their stool forever, but if every chicken carries it, that wouldn't be the case. I really don't want to take any chances at all of spreading it to others, if not all chickens have it in their bodies. None of my others have ever shown syptoms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom