INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hardly slept last night and then I had to get up at 6 o'clock to go to school and the bus didn't stop slow down nothing I can't focus to do my school work here so I hope they don't plan to see much from me today cause I'm going back to bed
1f621.png
1f621.png

Last edited:
@ChickenCanoe , @kwhites634 and everyone else:

-Kathy
Perhaps but I find it very annoying to read.
I think it is two different discussions between the way the human brain works and the way it is trained by the type of font we usually see as we learn to read.
However, because of the vast differences in screen resolutions, sans serif is considered superior for online text while serif fonts are much more easily read in print. In print, the serifs serve to move the eye from one letter to the next more smoothly.
Bitmapped letters on low res screens didn't look right with the structural details at the ends of the lines used to make up letters or numbers.
The points on letters of serif fonts in print causes us to pick up the letters faster than sans serif fonts.

I am going to contact agway tomorrow and see if they can order me some seramas or where they beget them from because I don't want them to come from a hatchery, and sally I am not able to come get those chicks
There are quite a few serama breeders in MO. For a couple, seramas are all they raise. You could contact them to see if they ship.
http://agriculture.mo.gov/animals/pdf/poultry_yearbook.pdf

Scrambled Text

Have you seen this? Try to read it.
teaser-scrambledtext-01.png

Many people are surprised they can read it without much problem, even though the letters are not in the correct order. (If you had trouble, see Answer 1 below.) But is what it says about reading true?
Not really. As Matt Davis of the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit at Cambridge University says, “There are elements of truth in this, but also some things which scientists studying the psychology of language know to be incorrect.” He’s unaware of any research at Cambridge that suggests otherwise.
Davis points out that the way the words were rearranged in the passage above makes them fairly easy to read. Here are alternate word scrambles from the text:
teaser-scrambledtext-02.png

Why are the passage versions easier to read? It seems that when we read, we extract a lot of information from the context—so understanding several words in a sentence can help us guess another one. We also scan words and pick out markers that make them easy to identify, such as certain letter combinations and sounds. These elements make it easier to infer the word even when the letters are not in perfect order. You might note that in the passage above, many of these markers were maintained. For example, in “according” (aoccdrnig), the double c was maintained. Splitting them up (aricdocng) makes the word harder to read. In Cambridge (Cmabrigde) the second half of the word, “bridge,” was very nearly maintained. Changing the scramble to break up “bridge,” as in Cgmiadrbe, makes it much harder to read.
So the following passage should be harder to read:
teaser-scrambledtext-03.png

teaser-scrambledtext-04.png

Looking for more brainy fun? BrainHQ has four free brain fitness exercises.

Oh well.

Have any of you ever dealt with a pedophile rooster before? I have 1 RIR roo that has young taste and will jump my young pullets. He's full grown and likes to get pullets before they even have their grown up voices yet. Any suggestions to curb his cravings? It's not like there aren't plenty of adult hens around
That's what they do. They don't have the same social sensibilities or morays as modern day humans.
My best advice is to raise them separately till you feel they're ready to breed.

Howdy.... Back home from watching the grandkids..... That six hour drive seems to be getting a bit harder these days. I'm so sore and stiff by the time we get done i can hardly walk.
Anyways..... I candle today and all my Ayam Cemani eggs are developing on day 8.....
yesss.gif
woot.gif

Quote:
I need someone that has the guts and knowledge to find the right people to; fix the garage roof, re-side the coop, fix the plumbing, rewire the electric, put a drain in for the washing machine, and repair the floors.
barnie.gif

Fix the bedroom door, replace leaky windows...
That's almost identical to my to do list.
Right now I'm waiting for sealant to dry on a coop floor so I can move a flock in there. Yesterday I opened the nest box and the door broke free from the continuous hinge. Problem is, one side of the hinge is under the siding which I don't want to remove. I guess I'll take an angle grinder to cut the hinge out and put new hinges on the outside of the wall. I also have to design a new latching mechanism and rebuild the pop door.
I have to finish the electric to all the buildings. First I have to install a new breaker box feeding the chicken houses. Then bend and mount some EMT conduit to the back carriage house wall and punch through the back brick wall to tie into the below grade PVC conduit. I want to do that first before I pull the wire under ground so it will be a continuous run from the breaker to the buildings rather than splice it in boxes along the way.
Then I have to finish all the plumbing and reinstall pumps and heaters for the winter auto water systems.
Then finish auto doors.
Then new siding on some buildings.
Then repaint.
Then
Then
Then

Any of you ever heard this song?
No, but I like it.

From what I was told on this thread many moons ago, the hen determines the egg color. The color will only change when the rooster is bred back to his daughters.
Comes from both. For a dark egg, you definitely want to use a rooster that came out of the darkest egg and breed him to the hens laying the darkest eggs. He will impart many of his genetics to daughters.

not sure if this is where I aski my question but here I go....... my chicken was setting on 6 eggs all but 2 have hatched and she refuses to finish setting on them. I see the air bubble and they both are very dark.... her last hatching was a day ago. I have them on a heating pad at about 100 degrees, is this something that will work, do you think she quit setting on them because she knows something, she had actually quit setting on 3 and I kept pushing them back under her and it hatched, do you think there is a chance the last two will hatch and how many days should I continue to do this
Likely that she quit because the hatch was staggered. She will abandon unhatched eggs to care for the live chicks - the sure thing. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

When you mentioned fowlman01 today would he have information on breeds not in the SOP.
Are you looking for help with your Altsteirers conformation?

They normally won't eat what's not good for them
X2

Have you come to speak with our leader, oh Exalted One?

I see your Os (my Brownies) got a wild card spot.
Cards run ended with them winning the last 4 of the season going 6-4 in the last 10 games but the Mets and the Giants went 7-3 over the same period so they finished 1 game behind SF.
This is the first time the Cards missed the playoffs since 2010. Yeah, we're spoiled.

Perhaps but I find it very annoying to read.
I think it is two different discussions between the way the human brain works and the way it is trained by the type of font we usually see as we learn to read.
However, because of the vast differences in screen resolutions, sans serif is considered superior for online text while serif fonts are much more easily read in print. In print, the serifs serve to move the eye from one letter to the next more smoothly.
Bitmapped letters on low res screens didn't look right with the structural details at the ends of the lines used to make up letters or numbers.
The points on letters of serif fonts in print causes us to pick up the letters faster than sans serif fonts.

There are quite a few serama breeders in MO. For a couple, seramas are all they raise. You could contact them to see if they ship.
http://agriculture.mo.gov/animals/pdf/poultry_yearbook.pdf

Thanks

Last edited:
I can order 4 geese in the spring, I want two of the fancy butted ones, they are supposed to be fairly calm and quiet, and then 2 of the french ones that are noiser, and good layers. (I hope they don't fly off???) I assume domestic geese don't just run away, but I've heard of people having their geese leave....

That would mean we'd need a waterfowl area, that includes a fly-net. When I mentioned that for the ducks and geese, he looked like he wanted to strangle me. hahaha

But, I did want a guard goose. I would hope my geese would stay around our house and alert to predators. I'm pretty sure strangers would be more wary about a mean goose, then a big fluffy dog.

I purchased geese this year, I played with them twice a day for several weeks in hopes that they will stay safe for visitors. They fly to the edge of the fenced area and get four feet up if they are going down hill. African breed, wonderful addition so far, I wonder how they will be when broody. They added about $15 to my monthly water bill, filling the blue tub every other day, they love to eat mud, holes everywhere there has been water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom