INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to hear peoples opinion on home schooling. It is a very American thing, and where I come from if you don't send your kids to school you go to jail and your kids go into foster care. I get that it is a personal choice here, and know plenty of people who have home schooled, and the reasons varied from "I wanted to because it would be fun for me", to "I can give them a better education than public school", to "I don't want my kids exposed to evil ideas that others may have I cannot control". These latter were usually extremely religious people. Also "it is easier to keep them at home than having to get my kids to school and back every day". I get that there are bad schools, but the people I know who homeschool have excellent local schools and it is nothing to do with that. 2 people I work with have super smart well educated spouses (one went to Stanford, and another to MIT) so you may think they are suitable parents to teach their kids everything. But are they? What is taught in school has changed so much with technology and science over the last 20 years. I know there are on-line resources to help home schoolers, but why not just go to school and "top up" at home?
How can 1 (or 2) parents replace 3 whole schools worth of modern teaching experience and know even a fraction of what they collectively know?
idunno.gif

Also at school you learn to interact in a normal way with other people, and learn about boundaries and deadlines, so when you go to university (or work) you have some life experience and don't go completely off the rails.
Here's my .02..... I know several people who have chosen to home school their children, and I think it is a viable option and good for kids. The whole "under socialized" thing is a myth. Yes, you can home school improperly, but from what I have seen parents use the extra time gained from flexible schedules and no time in between classes to invite friends over and go to activities. This leads to my next point. There is time enough after school for most of the lower grades and some of the higher to pursue their interests, such as doing some for-fun research and gaining valuable life education from things such as cleaning, cooking, and how to run a house. When public schooled, homework quickly eats up much of your afternoon and leaves little time for extra learning and growing in subjects NOT taught in schools. The average parent knows enough to get their kid thru middle school. After that, there are several online courses and even DVDs to help teach students. Another thing which does change the ballpark a bit is most families I know are rather large, so they all learn to "roll with the punches" from a young age. No fragile under socialized flowers there.... They work hard and play harder. Homeschooling is not for everyone, but it certainly works for many.

Here's my .02..... I know several people who have chosen to home school their children, and I think it is a viable option and good for kids.

The whole "under socialized" thing is a myth. Yes, you can home school improperly, but from what I have seen parents use the extra time gained from flexible schedules and no time in between classes to invite friends over and go to activities.

This leads to my next point. There is time enough after school for most of the lower grades and some of the higher to pursue their interests, such as doing some for-fun research and gaining valuable life education from things such as cleaning, cooking, and how to run a house. When public schooled, homework quickly eats up much of your afternoon and leaves little time for extra learning and growing in subjects NOT taught in schools.

The average parent knows enough to get their kid thru middle school. After that, there are several online courses and even DVDs to help teach students.

Another thing which does change the ballpark a bit is most families I know are rather large, so they all learn to "roll with the punches" from a young age. No fragile under socialized flowers there.... They work hard and play harder.

Homeschooling is not for everyone, but it certainly works for many.
There are so many online resources, it's amazing. mobymax.com is great for k-8 and will really catch kids up on any areas they are lacking. Definitely worth the yearly membership.
abcmouse is great for pre-school aged kids.

There are also so many resources for 7-12th graders, I haven't had to use them yet, since my oldest is technically 7th grade, but academically behind, so we are re-teaching 4-7th grade work until he's caught up and we can move on (he has retention issues, so we reteach a lot of the same skills over and over and over again.)

My daughter who's in K, is 2-4th grade in some subjects, and preschool-K for reading/writing still. She's taking her time when it comes to writing, but has sped ahead in science and math.

Here's my .02..... I know several people who have chosen to home school their children, and I think it is a viable option and good for kids.

The whole "under socialized" thing is a myth. Yes, you can home school improperly, but from what I have seen parents use the extra time gained from flexible schedules and no time in between classes to invite friends over and go to activities.

This leads to my next point. There is time enough after school for most of the lower grades and some of the higher to pursue their interests, such as doing some for-fun research and gaining valuable life education from things such as cleaning, cooking, and how to run a house. When public schooled, homework quickly eats up much of your afternoon and leaves little time for extra learning and growing in subjects NOT taught in schools.

The average parent knows enough to get their kid thru middle school. After that, there are several online courses and even DVDs to help teach students.

Another thing which does change the ballpark a bit is most families I know are rather large, so they all learn to "roll with the punches" from a young age. No fragile under socialized flowers there.... They work hard and play harder.

Homeschooling is not for everyone, but it certainly works for many.
Also, amazon.com has so many grade-appropriate work books, to make sure kids are learning enough to pass the common core tests, that anything after that is a bonus. The average teacher is trying to teach 30 kids per class. That means, that what we can teach 1 on 1, in 20-60 minutes to a kid, takes her all week to get through to 30+ kids because she has to stop and make sure everyone is on the same page.

It makes it so we can also move on a lot faster, go through material quicker, and move on to other things or breeze through school work.

My husband has friends who became doctors, who were homeschooled, so it certainly didn't hurt their educational possibilities!

I would love to hear peoples opinion on home schooling. It is a very American thing, and where I come from if you don't send your kids to school you go to jail and your kids go into foster care. I get that it is a personal choice here, and know plenty of people who have home schooled, and the reasons varied from "I wanted to because it would be fun for me", to "I can give them a better education than public school", to "I don't want my kids exposed to evil ideas that others may have I cannot control". These latter were usually extremely religious people. Also "it is easier to keep them at home than having to get my kids to school and back every day". I get that there are bad schools, but the people I know who homeschool have excellent local schools and it is nothing to do with that. 2 people I work with have super smart well educated spouses (one went to Stanford, and another to MIT) so you may think they are suitable parents to teach their kids everything. But are they? What is taught in school has changed so much with technology and science over the last 20 years. I know there are on-line resources to help home schoolers, but why not just go to school and "top up" at home?
How can 1 (or 2) parents replace 3 whole schools worth of modern teaching experience and know even a fraction of what they collectively know?
idunno.gif

Also at school you learn to interact in a normal way with other people, and learn about boundaries and deadlines, so when you go to university (or work) you have some life experience and don't go completely off the rails.
I am a certified teacher and I told my sister for years she should home school. The schools are way to agenda based now and kids are not being taught the basics. Even elementary school teachers are not taught how to teach reading. Aside from the basics not being taught and the tailored selective material in schools. They are now teaching to a middle mediocrity. In the weird desire to not hurt someone's feelings we no longer challenge those who need challenged nor dare to let someone fail. In Missouri you can't even fail a kid under the eighth grade as the teacher it takes the principal and likely the parent. Homeschooling allows tailoring the material and methodology directly to that kid. There are tons of great curriculum plans and resources locally and online. If you come to a subject you are not comfortable with local groups help each other. Often they can take individual classes, hire a retired teacher to tutor, or use online resources (local juco too). They can often participate in sports and other programs to get them involved in group activities. Most home schooled kids that are truely actively educated end up with much higher scores, better abilities to interact with other age groups, and able to think creatively or critically which is NOT being done in schools. I would never put my kids in public schools today.

Last edited:
I am a certified teacher and I told my sister for years she should home school. The schools are way to ajenda based now and kids are not being taught the basics. Even elementary school teachers are not taught how to teach reading. Aside from the basics not being taught and the tailored selective material schools the way they are now teach to a middle mediocrity. In the weird desire to not hurt someone's feelings we no longer challenge those who need challenged nor dare to let someone fail. In Missouri you can't even fail a kid under the eighth grade as the teacher it takes the principal and likely the parent.
Homeschooling allows tailoring the material and methodology directly to that kid. There are tons of great curriculum plans and resources locally and online. If you come to a subject you are not comfortable with local groups help each other. Often they can take individual classes, hire a retired teacher to tutor, or use online resources (local juco too). They can often participate in sports and other programs to get them involved in group activities.
Most home schooled kids that are truely actively educated end up with much higher scores, better abilities to interact with other age groups, and able to think creatively or critically which is NOT being done in schools.
I would never put my kids in public schools today.
My oldest is the kid who needs to accept he's "failing." they pushed him through grades, when he wasn't learning.
Due to his mental health issues, he may not be able to get a formal education enough to go to college, so we are focusing more on life skills, and I got him GED study books and my goal in life, is to get him a GED so he can get some kind of diploma, that's earned and not just faked by pushing him through school.

Realistic expectations for children is so important. I do not believe in trophies for participation. You either get a trophy because you actually *win* or what you get out of it, is that you got to play the game.

I've never understood hand-holding. I think it builds false sense of esteem, and then the kids get out in the real world and don't know how to deal with loss, instant gratification, or expecting someone to hold their hands, or "cookies" for just participating.

I also don't think schools teach good work ethics. How is turning in subpar work and over looking it, doing them any favors?

I love my son to death, but when I know he can do better, and he hands me crap, I won't accept it until he fixes it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom