INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:hugs

:frow Welcome
hi!

Hi All!! Wow, 6K pages behind! I hope everyone is happy and healthy! I'm sure I've missed lots of hatching eggs, birthing of goats and things! Congrats!

I only had 1 egg hatch out of the dozen I got from my eggs - the roosters were too young, before they were taken out. I called all the local feed stores and the youngest chicks I found were 3 weeks old. I had to buy 2. My baby chick and the 2 3 week olds did FINE for 4 days, day 5, I found my baby dead. I greatly dislike the 2 new babies.
barnie.gif

But, I have a processing question. We have found tons of videos on how to Kill, De-feather and gut them, but the videos stop. I want to freeze a bunch. Do I have to let them sit in the fridge for a few days before I freeze them? We are boiling one of them for soup. But, can we throw the others straight into the freezer?

Thanks!

Made it through the storm so so. About 5 trees down, house is good, coop and run are good, shed took on water but is still standing. Backyard is supposed to have a 1 acre pond. Roughly half of my 4 acre property is under water to include the surrounding fields. No power. Just wanted to give a quick update. Could have been alot worse.

Hi All!! Wow, 6K pages behind! I hope everyone is happy and healthy! I'm sure I've missed lots of hatching eggs, birthing of goats and things! Congrats!

I only had 1 egg hatch out of the dozen I got from my eggs - the roosters were too young, before they were taken out. I called all the local feed stores and the youngest chicks I found were 3 weeks old. I had to buy 2. My baby chick and the 2 3 week olds did FINE for 4 days, day 5, I found my baby dead. I greatly dislike the 2 new babies.
barnie.gif

But, I have a processing question. We have found tons of videos on how to Kill, De-feather and gut them, but the videos stop. I want to freeze a bunch. Do I have to let them sit in the fridge for a few days before I freeze them? We are boiling one of them for soup. But, can we throw the others straight into the freezer?

Thanks!
Well, Hi there. I thought you got lost!
frow.gif

Too bad about your little one. You think the older chick did it?
I've never frozen any myself, but someone here will have the answer.
Don't stay gone so long now that you're back

Made it through the storm so so. About 5 trees down, house is good, coop and run are good, shed took on water but is still standing. Backyard is supposed to have a 1 acre pond. Roughly half of my 4 acre property is under water to include the surrounding fields. No power. Just wanted to give a quick update. Could have been alot worse.
At least you dodged most of the bullets. Glad you're mostly all right.

Hi All!!  Wow, 6K pages behind!  I hope everyone is happy and healthy!  I'm sure I've missed lots of hatching eggs, birthing of goats and things!  Congrats!

I only had 1 egg hatch out of the dozen I got from my eggs - the roosters were too young, before they were taken out.  I called all the local feed stores and the youngest chicks I found were 3 weeks old.  I had to buy 2. My baby chick and the 2 3 week olds did FINE for 4 days, day 5, I found my baby dead.  I greatly dislike the 2 new babies. :barnie

But, I have a processing question.  We have found tons of videos on how to Kill, De-feather and gut them, but the videos stop.  I want to freeze a bunch.  Do I have to let them sit in the fridge for a few days before I freeze them?   We are boiling one of them for soup.  But, can we throw the others straight into the freezer?

Thanks!

I recently read that you don't have to let them rest before freezing. You just have to be sure that you let them rest before cooking.

:hugs

Well, Hi there. I thought you got lost!
frow.gif

Too bad about your little one. You think the older chick did it?
I've never frozen any myself, but someone here will have the answer.
Don't stay gone so long now that you're back
Hi!! I'll try to come back more often! Real life seems to take over sometimes! The chick was healthy and strong for the first 4 days by itself. Then it was good for the next 4 with the big guys. It looked to me that it had been squashed. So, the big guys overwhelmed it. But, that's life! We're only freezing since we are processing 6. We've done 4, 2 more to go, but we're going to do them tomorrow. It's getting too warm outside today.

I recently read that you don't have to let them rest before freezing. You just have to be sure that you let them rest before cooking.
hugs.gif
Thanks MC!! We're going to experiment. Since we have several - we'll freeze some immediately and chill some first. I'll let you know how it goes!

@kajira
 is looking for a daytime predator alarm
Tried luring her in with food, I presume?
I brought her home Friday over a hundred miles. She came out of the cage overmy shoulder and fled. I have only seen her briefly in the morning when I feed. I can't figure out an open enough trap to get her. I may need to buy a bunch of cattle panels. She is wild as a March hare and twice as warry. I have to get her before the coyotes do.

I brought her home Friday over a hundred miles. She came out of the cage overmy shoulder and fled. I have only seen her briefly in the morning when I feed. I can't figure out an open enough trap to get her. I may need to buy a bunch of cattle panels. She is wild as a March hare and twice as warry. I have to get her before the coyotes do.
fl.gif
Hope you get her soon!
fl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom