Incubation experiment

Texag87

Free Ranging
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Aggieland
As some of y’all know we are incubating some eggs that were missed during daily gathering. We are at day 18 right now. I messed up and had the temp higher than it should be the first few days. Tonight while candling, one egg appeared to have a bill sticking in the air sack. Could the high temp to start with make them hatch a week early ? Should I lock down on day 23 instead of 26 ? All air sacks are getting bigger every day. The possible fathers are K/C or runner. The hens are K/C, and Rouen.

I cannot tonight because the wife is asleep and I need a third hand to take a pic. All the eggs still have visible veins and other parts seem to be coming together. Wondering if lowering the temp .1 c a day from 37.5 to 37 would be a good idea to slow things down.

Any possibility of them being chicken eggs? And are you positive of the day count? Could a hen have been sitting on them before you collected them, jump starting the incubation?

Locking down a little early won’t hurt anything, if the air cells are big enough. Ducks are slow, even once they get started hatching, they take a few days, but a whole week early sounds unlikely.

ive seen what looks like bills and stuff but what it was was shining the flashlight in the aircell projected the veins from one side of the egg onto the otherside and it looks like all kinds of structures in there

How much higher tempture was it? And ide just go through the incubation like normal. My first bator was up and down 7 degrees the entire time and they hatched

Any possibility of them being chicken eggs? And are you positive of the day count? Could a hen have been sitting on them before you collected them, jump starting the incubation?

Locking down a little early won’t hurt anything, if the air cells are big enough. Ducks are slow, even once they get started hatching, they take a few days, but a whole week early sounds unlikely.
No chance of chicken eggs. There is a slight chance of sitting on them before discovery. I am totally positive about what day they went in the incubator.
ive seen what looks like bills and stuff but what it was was shining the flashlight in the aircell projected the veins from one side of the egg onto the otherside and it looks like all kinds of structures in there

How much higher tempture was it? And ide just go through the incubation like normal. My first bator was up and down 7 degrees the entire time and they hatched
I could have sworn the “bill” moved about five seconds after I shined in the light. The temp was around .3 to .4 c too high the first few days. I don’t remember what I turned it down to but it was what I had read. Right now I am at 37.5 c .

so if its at 37.5 and was to high up to 37.9 its only 100.22 degrees, its not a big deal atall

if you had 10 thermometers theyd probably all be off by .5 degrees up or down anyway

I was using a hotwater heater Thermostat on mine and 3 thermometers and they read 99 for a month. i got a laser thermometer and it was actualy up and down from 96 to 107 degrees and they hatched just fine.

i whent with a digital Tstat now i got it 99.3 to 99.7 perfect

Back
Top Bottom