Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I candled my eggs again tonight.
I'm curious to know... All except one of the eggs that have a spider web looking set of veins and a red blob in them appear almost to be stuck to the shell or set in place? If I gently roll the egg the blob jiggles but doesn't rotate around the top side of the egg like all of the clear ones do.
Is this normal?

Last edited:
No they are from my girls. This is thier first time laying (7 months old now) and my first time hatching:-(
My rule of thumb is to give them at least two weeks of breeding before trying to hatch.. but 38 eggs. WOW, perhaps maybe to many girls and not enough boys to breed with them all?

How many days did it take to collect 38? Because if you have been collecting that many eggs, for 30 days, it maybe that they are to old. Rule of thumb only collect up to 10 days because then they loose there fertalty..

I candled my eggs again tonight.
I'm curious to know... All except one of the eggs that have a spider web looking set of veins and a red blob in them appear almost to be stuck to the shell or set in place? If I gently roll the egg the blob jiggles but doesn't rotate around the top side of the egg like all of the clear ones do.
Is this normal?
Depends on what day your on, after a while they do not rotate..

I have notice on day four, if you hold it in one spot, they rotate very VERY slowly.. LOL but once they start growing they do not rotate any more at least the actually embroy doesn't..

Lacrystol and Yinepu, the eggs were colleceted over about 30 days. I didn't anticipate all of them keeping but they were in good condition and didn't smell or look bad when I candled them before putting them in. So given that this is all a big learning curve I figured I'd put them all in.
It was all of the girls first lays and the drakes first mating season so it was never a given but I was at the 10 day mark last night when I candled again.
At this stage, the ones that aren't fully mobile (as in seemingly stuck to the shell) are the 'strongest' looking to me. They have a big solid network of veins that cover a quater to a third of the shell. Two look like they might have a blood ring and another two don't have a web like appearance. They are more solid short bursts of thick viens.
At what day when I candle and they are still clear should I be taking them out of the bator?
I'd like to remove the clear ones so the good ones all have a bit more room. It seems to me that they are so close together that they might not be turning as freely as they could be because of this?

Last edited:
I made the mistake of not storing peafowl eggs properly last year and lost over 30 of them from that, they just didn't develop! Mine were store at room temp, which at times was well above 75°. This year they will be kept cooler and not stored as long.

-Kathy

Maybe someone cwith experience hatching Muscovy eggs can comment on how far along this egg is. I'm not positive, but I think it's between 7 and 10 days

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom