Incubation vs Broody Hen mystery

Happychickens33

Chirping
Jun 26, 2020
I am new to incubation and I hope some of the wonderful knowledgeable chick enthusiasts can help me! We recently lost 17 chickens to what we think are coyotes. We have solved this problem hopefully. Since we lost so many I let my white/splash Ameraurcana become broody. She had been sitting already about a week. She has 24. So I decided to take 12 and incubate them while she sits on hers. She has been a very good mother so far and hardly takes a break from sitting. I am thinking they will hatch June 13th. I set my incubator to this time as well, Day 13 Hatch Day. Now the surprise- I had a chick hatch in the incubator! Made quick work of it! He/she seems very healthy, running around and now eating and drinking in a brooder. I reprogrammed my incubator for a day before shutdown thinking more will hatch ( humidity higher) I see movement in 3, but no hatching. The chicks have not hatched under the hen yet either. Technically she has another week. What should I do? Reprogram the incubator and set it back another week to the original hatch day? And maybe the chick was just a fluke? I would appreciate any advice!

I don't know what you mean by reprogram the incubator but if I were you I would keep the incubator running and not turn it off.

In the incubator, the last 3 days before hatch are in lockdown mode. You take the turner out and increase the humidity to 70%. This is what I did. I hope it is not too humid though. I have no plans to turn it off, Mr. Early Bird needs friends! He/she chirps a lot! Thank you for your quick reply!

Chances are there were eggs added over a few days as your broody was setting on them. You'll probably end up with a bit of a staggered hatch over the next few days to a week. I see this was several days ago. Did anymore hatch in the bator/under mom?

Back
Top Bottom