indian runner vs ancona

Monstro

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Wayland, MI
Looking for some pros and cons of each breed. Or a comparison between the two if someone has both.

Would like to get a few ducks next year or after we do a set up, so just doing research so far. Had an indian runner drake and a muscovy drake as a kid and the runner was hilarious. Originally thinking runners but then came across ancona so now debating.

Things to consider:
1. Noise level. I dont mind the noise. But have one grumpy neighbor who complains about everything. Have 4 acres so housing will be on opposite side of grump butts place. Also rear 1.5-2 acres are open to fence in, backed up to a field. Not sure how far the noise carries?
2. Water requirements. No pond, will have to put something in. Runners should be good with a couple kiddie pools. What about Anconas?
3. No attack ducks. I have kids, does either breed get aggressive? Dont want that.
4. Winter. Michigan has winter, does one do better in the winter ?
5. Broody. Eggs are nice. Not sure if we want to break a broody all the time tho.
6. Escape artist. Both breeds claim to not fly well. Is that accurate? Will a 4-5 ft fence be good? Will have a fully enclosed predator proof main housing area, but just a fence for "free" range time.
6. Chickens. Main housing would be separate from the chickens (LF). But hoping to share the free range space. Not sure we want a drake but looks like to get a color variety of either breed we'd be getting straight run, likely will need to rehome some drakes.

Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers!

Looking for some pros and cons of each breed. Or a comparison between the two if someone has both. I only have Runners, and a few Buffs. They are five years old.

Would like to get a few ducks next year or after we do a set up, so just doing research so far. Had an indian runner drake and a muscovy drake as a kid and the runner was hilarious. Originally thinking runners but then came across ancona so now debating.

Things to consider:
1. Noise level. I dont mind the noise. But have one grumpy neighbor who complains about everything. Have 4 acres so housing will be on opposite side of grump butts place. Also rear 1.5-2 acres are open to fence in, backed up to a field. Not sure how far the noise carries? Noise tends to rise, if I recall correctly. Also factor in structures - noise will bounce off structures. My neighbors tell me that for the most part, the Runners do not make much noise until they see me. If you keep food with water for them, keep them reasonably comfortable and safe, I doubt there will be much racket. At the same time, every flock is different and ducks, like kids and dogs, can make liars of us. That's what my mom said, anyway, about the kids and dogs.
2. Water requirements. No pond, will have to put something in. Runners should be good with a couple kiddie pools. What about Anconas? Not sure, but I think Anconas would also be happy with the kiddie pools. I think @learycow may have Anconas.
3. No attack ducks. I have kids, does either breed get aggressive? Dont want that. My Runners have never attacked or even poked at a human. They sometimes poke each other or chase each other for about two seconds. Longer if one has a worm.
4. Winter. Michigan has winter, does one do better in the winter ? Yee, golly, some of my Runners are not cold hardy - problem solved by making sure they have a shelter that stays above 40F in the winter. And I just let them out for brief walks on days that are too cold for them.
5. Broody. Eggs are nice. Not sure if we want to break a broody all the time tho. Of our nine Runners, two or three go broody each year. Same two or three. I don't break it, just let them sit on dud eggs. I may want a broody some day.
6. Escape artist. Both breeds claim to not fly well. Is that accurate? Will a 4-5 ft fence be good? Will have a fully enclosed predator proof main housing area, but just a fence for "free" range time. Day Pen is a meter high, with 2"x3" coated woven wire across the top to keep foxes and hawks out. Young Runners would scale a 3 foot fence especially if they could push it off vertical. They would walk and flap up the fence. Once mature, they could not do that.
6. Chickens. Main housing would be separate from the chickens (LF). But hoping to share the free range space. Not sure we want a drake but looks like to get a color variety of either breed we'd be getting straight run, likely will need to rehome some drakes. Drakes may try to mate with chickens, which can prove fatal to the chickens. At the same time, there may be some flocks where the roosters keep the drakes in line - but conflicts can turn ugly, I would think.

Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers!

Have you searched the archives? You may be able to find some opinions there, too.

I must say I think Anconas are beautiful and I have heard wonderful things about them.

I have. Found some information on both breeds but nothing about comparing the two. Was hoping someone who's had both would comment.

Back
Top Bottom