INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I got my first chic's tonite, I got a variety, 1 buff Orrington, i egger, a RIR, a barred rock, a cinnamon chic(looks just like the RIR, and a silver laced wyandont., I'm so nervous, why are they huddling in the corner? and they don't seem interested in eating or drinking...do I have to show them? They came from the Big R in Crawfordsville, and were eating there. Maybe there just getting used to a new home?

Ok I have a sappy story for everyone. I have one 10 day old and two 6 week old girls. I was worried the big ones were picking on the baby. Well today I turned off the heat lamp for a little bit bc it was too hot. When I came back the meanest of the three was laying on her belly wings spread and looking fat. I thought for sure she had eaten the baby. Turns out I left the heat lamp off for too long and baby was cold so the mean one used her mommy skills to cover baby to keep it warm. The one I thought was mean is actually just protecting her little sister. She has established herself as head of coop! Pretty cool stuff.

Ok I have a sappy story for everyone. I have one 10 day old and two 6 week old girls. I was worried the big ones were picking on the baby. Well today I turned off the heat lamp for a little bit bc it was too hot. When I came back the meanest of the three was laying on her belly wings spread and looking fat. I thought for sure she had eaten the baby. Turns out I left the heat lamp off for too long and baby was cold so the mean one used her mommy skills to cover baby to keep it warm. The one I thought was mean is actually just protecting her little sister. She has established herself as head of coop! Pretty cool stuff.

yep she's on toppf the pecking order no questions (or pecking) asked....

I would suggest that you catch the roos with an attitude when they roost for the night and hold them upside down until they stop squaking and flapping and calm down 10-15 minutes. Or you can carry them under your arm as you go about your business for awhile. It is supposed to reinforce the fact that you are not a threat and you are the boss. This worked with my roo but he needs to be reminded.

I am so happy with my first hatch. I got 17 chicks out of 20 but loat the tiniest chick yesterday, 1 chick didn't pip and the other was infertile. I hope the hatch due next week is just as nice. Maybe I'll get another showgirl or 2.
ht/400[/IMG]IMG]

Congrats on the eating.

New chicks, I always dip their beaks when I get them home so they know where the water is. I have never had a problem once they take water.

Back
Top Bottom