INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Some of my little road runners!

Typically there is a little plastic container that clips on side of tank. It has holes/slots for the fry to go back and forth into a protected area.
due to hatch Tuesday I believe. Went into lockdown yesterday.

If at all possible, look for one made from mesh or at least with small "vent" holes in the outside plastic (not the "fry grate" separating the two sections) -- with fry water quality is even more important and the dirty little secret of the plastic breeder boxes is that you create a very small, stagnant "pool" of water which quickly becomes fouled with uneaten food and waste. While a breeder box that allows flow through still isn't the best option, it does allow for some circulation and exchange of fouled water for fresh and for that fouled water to be cycled through your tank's filter
Personally, with livebearers I prefer to just provide really good cover in the tank and allow for natural selection to help keep the population from getting out of control because these guys will breed like rabbits and while your first instinct is to save them all it can quickly become a bit overwhelming. Even with this approach I saw well over 50% survival with most of our livebearers. Think mult-level - good thick planting on the bottom and some cover at the surface in the form of floating plants. Well fed adults are not *that* predatory and the little guys learn pretty quickly how to stay out of the way until they reach the less edible size (which doesn't take long).

If at all possible, look for one made from mesh or at least with small "vent" holes in the outside plastic (not the "fry grate" separating the two sections) -- with fry water quality is even more important and the dirty little secret of the plastic breeder boxes is that you create a very small, stagnant "pool" of water which quickly becomes fouled with uneaten food and waste.  While a breeder box that allows flow through still isn't the best option, it does allow for some circulation and exchange of fouled water for fresh and for that fouled water to be cycled through your tank's filter
Personally, with livebearers I prefer to just provide really good cover in the tank and allow for natural selection to help keep the population from getting out of control because these guys will breed like rabbits and while your first instinct is to save them all it can quickly become a bit overwhelming.  Even with this approach I saw well over 50% survival with most of our livebearers.  Think mult-level - good thick planting on the bottom  and some cover at the surface in the form of floating plants.  Well fed adults are not *that* predatory and the little guys learn pretty quickly how to stay out of the way until they reach the less edible size (which doesn't take long).

So will I be okay to not do any seperating? I would like first least a few to survive.

I forgot to post a pic earlier of my two newest additions - a 4 month old pair of blue peafowl that I have named Bogie and Bacall :)
Peafowl are on my list! :love I've loved them for years, since going to the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo was a big part of my childhood. :love
Some of my little road runners!
The awkward leggy siblings of OEGB. :lol: They're super cute, Brad! Well, since my niece gave me whatever miserable disease she brought home from kindergarten, which has naturally just started making me truly miserable the night before my own class, I guess I'll go to bed. :/ G'night, all!

Last edited:
Haha, I saw that one the other day! Let me just say this, as someone who has had Guineas for a few years now: There is not an untrue word in the entire article. :rolleyes: I laughed my butt off through the whole thing, because the alternative would have been to sob uncontrollably at the truth of it. :lol:

I could not stop laughing and I am so glad I read it. I was considering some....maybe as a gift...muahhh....

As. In little hiding spots? It has rock decorations that they could hide in/ under

What size is your tank and who all lives in it (number and species)? Bushy and/or grassy plants are great fry cover. If you have plastic plants you can even just "unplant" a few and let them float at the surface to provide that level of cover. If you really want some survivors, though, a breeding setup may be the way to go - but you'll have to really stay on top of keeping the water clean (mollies are among the more sensitive of the livebearers). .....or you can keep an eye on your female and when she starts dropping fry just remove a few and put them in a "safe" place for the first couple of weeks. Molly fry tend to be pretty good sized at "birth", so it doesn't take too long to get them to the less tempting size.

Different species of fish are different about the whole reproduction thing. Livebearers are very canibalisitc as a group. Egg scattering species (those that just kind of swim around scattering eggs and sperm and swimming off) are also pretty prone to eating both the eggs and the fry that hatch. There are, though, several species that provide a range of parental care -- from guarding the eggs to secreting a nutritious "slime" from their body for the fry to feed off of, etc. If you want to see some great fish parenting, cichlids are the go to group..... we have a pair of angels in the spawning tank now (I use a spawning tank for them because their community tank also houses a 12 inch pleco who is quite fond of caviar - no clutch stands a chance of making it through one night with him in there) that will literally come out of the water at my hand when I reach over to feed or do any maintenance. My DD's breeding group of plecos have been fun to watch too - they are in the group where mom lays eggs and splits but dad provides the best care by guarding and fanning the eggs and then providing security for the kids for the first few days as they find their fins.

What size is your tank and who all lives in it (number and species)?   Bushy and/or grassy plants are great fry cover.  If you have plastic plants you can even just "unplant" a few and let them float at the surface to provide that level of cover.  If you really want some survivors, though, a breeding setup may be the way to go - but you'll have to really stay on top of keeping the water clean (mollies are among the more sensitive of the livebearers). .....or you can keep an eye on your female and when she starts dropping fry just remove a few and put them in a "safe" place for the first couple of weeks.  Molly fry tend to be pretty good sized at "birth", so it doesn't take too long to get them to the less tempting size.

Different species of fish are different about the whole reproduction thing.  Livebearers are very canibalisitc as a group.  Egg scattering species (those that just kind of swim around scattering eggs and sperm and swimming off) are also pretty prone to eating both the eggs and the fry that hatch.  There are,j though, several species that provide a range of parental care -- from guarding the eggs to secreting a nutritious "slime" from their body for the fry to feed off of, etc.   If you want to see some great fish parenting, cichlids are the go to group..... we have a pair of angels in the spawning tank now (I use a spawning tank for them because their community tank also houses a 12 inch pleco who is quite fond of caviar - no clutch stands a chance of making it through one night with him in there) that will literally come out of the water at my hand when I reach over to feed or do any maintenance.  My DD's breeding group of plecos have been fun to watch too - they are in the group where mom lays eggs and splits but dad provides the best care by guarding and fanning the eggs and then providing security for the kids for the first few days as they find their fins. 

55 gal. I have some fake plants coming in the mail. In this tank there are 6 mollies, 1 calico fan tail goldfish, 1 angel fish, 2 of those black bug eyed goldfish I can't remember the name of, and a scum sucker.I have raised cichlids. I used to keep oscar fish but wanted to go with more of a community tank this go around.

Back
Top Bottom