INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

[COLOR=000090]
droolin.gif
I really like this setup!! Thanks for the pictures!
big_smile.png
If you don't mind me asking, about how much did those kennel panels cost you? (And sorry if you answered that already.
hide.gif
)[/COLOR]
I watched CL and actually put out a "Wanted" add a couple of times stating I wanted 10x10 or 6x12, 6 ft. tall kennels or 6 ft tall kennel panels and gate panels. Some of them were from folks that had a full kennel; others had 2-3 panels.

They averaged out at about $30 /panel. I would still get more gate panels if I saw them around.

ETA: Some of them were less - $20 - $25 each, some more.

Last edited:
[COLOR=900000]Well, as of yesterday, I have one week left of quarantine. And, well, as of today, it looks like the duck coop won't be ready in time. :/ Thanks to the DST change, I don't get home until about an hour to sunset today, and I have painting and hardware cloth to hang and a fence to put up. Really wishing I had spent some time on that this weekend, but I had homework and tests to study for. Ugh.

The good news is as of yesterday's checkup, everyone in quarantine is looking good. I was worried about them for a short while because Malcolm was making some funny noises, but he finally coughed up a bit of feed from his nose and has been fine since. He eats like such a hog, it really isn't a surprise. :lol: Otherwise, everyone seems healthy, though. One more week to be sure, and they're all set to join the flock. :D

Miss Trudi's getting brave. She went right up to Toes, the rooster I put in quarantine with them, and pinched his wattles through the bars of his cage! Now, Toes isn't a huge rooster compared to some of the ones at the Lebanon show, but he is easily 5 or 6 times Trudi's size as is. The comparison is quite something! And teeny-tiny Trudi decided, hey, let's poke the bear! :lol: I'm just happy they're getting more comfortable here. They don't totally freak out when I'm nearby and I can get them to come pretty close with the assistance of treats. They still don't want me to touch them, though. I don't expect much in that regard, however, as most of the chickens I've gotten as adults have been the same way.

ETA: Oh, duck people, one thing I wanted to ask! I believe these two are around 5 months old, maybe 6 months. Lately, I've noticed when they get into the water that Malcolm has been nibbling at Trudi's feet and tail and sometimes pulling on her wing feathers. Is he just maturing faster than she is and, well, asking for something ( :oops: ), or should I be worried about this behavior?[/COLOR]

Last edited:
[COLOR=000090]:drool I really like this setup!! Thanks for the pictures! :D If you don't mind me asking, about how much did those kennel panels cost you? (And sorry if you answered that already. :oops: )[/COLOR]

I watched CL and actually put out a "Wanted" add a couple of times stating I wanted 10x10 or 6x12, 6 ft. tall kennels or 6 ft tall kennel panels and gate panels.  Some of them were from folks that had a full kennel; others had 2-3 panels.

They averaged out at about $30 /panel.  I would still get more gate panels if I saw them around.

ETA:  Some of them were less - $20 - $25 each, some more.

[COLOR=900000]Not bad considering how much they cost new! :D Thanks.[/COLOR]

I havent had my bator going all yr. that has to be a record. LOL i did find a little blue silkie. i will get it tomorrow. this was a first for me on shipped eggs. I got a serama pr. and 9 eggs for 50 dollars. that included shipping. breeder is also a judge for surrounding areas. he has great stock. the hen is size A and the male will be size B.

Meet Adam and Eve. Do you know of someone local with these beauties ?

Local is a relative term..... There's someone in Naperville, IL who raises seramas. I see her ads on Craigslist, but I do not know her personally. DH likes the BIG eggs, so we enjoy the full-size chickens.

How will they reach the water as the level goes down?
I will monitor it daily just as I do now, so it will get topped off regularly. I need the depth to use the heater I already have. I want one large waterer, not a dozen small buckets lol.

Quote: Ugh, na this coop will be torn down in the spring.

I got beagled yesterday. A handsome fellow showed up at my fenceline and then ran the perimeter trying to find a way in. I met him at my front door. After a bath, a microchip scan (there is none) and posting on Indianapolis-Lost Pet Alert I have yet to have any hits on him. He doesn't seem super well cared for, he had an ancient harness on that had rubbed him on his belly, no tags or identifiers and is not neutered.

This boy is getting fixed tomorrow and then I will be shopping for a new home for him! VERY sweet and friendly to people and dogs! Please put the word out for him! He deserves a home that will take care of him!

ETA the vet thought he was around five years old.

What a cutie pie! Reminds me of our lil visitor from the neighbors. She gets out, and runs right to my house!

[COLOR=900000]Well, as of yesterday, I have one week left of quarantine. And, well, as of today, it looks like the duck coop won't be ready in time.
hmm.png
Thanks to the DST change, I don't get home until about an hour to sunset today, and I have painting and hardware cloth to hang and a fence to put up. Really wishing I had spent some time on that this weekend, but I had homework and tests to study for. Ugh.

The good news is as of yesterday's checkup, everyone in quarantine is looking good. I was worried about them for a short while because Malcolm was making some funny noises, but he finally coughed up a bit of feed from his nose and has been fine since. He eats like such a hog, it really isn't a surprise.
lol.png
Otherwise, everyone seems healthy, though. One more week to be sure, and they're all set to join the flock.
big_smile.png

Miss Trudi's getting brave. She went right up to Toes, the rooster I put in quarantine with them, and pinched his wattles through the bars of his cage! Now, Toes isn't a huge rooster compared to some of the ones at the Lebanon show, but he is easily 5 or 6 times Trudi's size as is. The comparison is quite something! And teeny-tiny Trudi decided, hey, let's poke the bear!
lol.png
I'm just happy they're getting more comfortable here. They don't totally freak out when I'm nearby and I can get them to come pretty close with the assistance of treats. They still don't want me to touch them, though. I don't expect much in that regard, however, as most of the chickens I've gotten as adults have been the same way.

ETA: Oh, duck people, one thing I wanted to ask! I believe these two are around 5 months old, maybe 6 months. Lately, I've noticed when they get into the water that Malcolm has been nibbling at Trudi's feet and tail and sometimes pulling on her wing feathers. Is he just maturing faster than she is and, well, asking for something (
hide.gif
), or should I be worried about this behavior?[/COLOR]
wink.png
yep its starting! He is flirting with her. Great to hear they are doing well!

I got beagled yesterday. A handsome fellow showed up at my fenceline and then ran the perimeter trying to find a way in. I met him at my front door. After a bath, a microchip scan (there is none) and posting on Indianapolis-Lost Pet Alert I have yet to have any hits on him. He doesn't seem super well cared for, he had an ancient harness on that had rubbed him on his belly, no tags or identifiers and is not neutered. This boy is getting fixed tomorrow and then I will be shopping for a new home for him! VERY sweet and friendly to people and dogs! Please put the word out for him! He deserves a home that will take care of him! ETA the vet thought he was around five years old.
He looks like a real sweetheart! My family would kill me! Lol!

Local is a relative term..... There's someone in Naperville, IL who raises seramas. I see her ads on Craigslist, but I do not know her personally. DH likes the BIG eggs, so we enjoy the full-size chickens.
the baby didnt make it. it died right after i got home with the silkie. the woman decided she would let go of 2 silkies so at least i still am not down to one.

If it is hatchery stock, then yes there is a good chance they will molt the tail every time they molt. But they will grow back long like that each time.  I have some silver duckwing phoenix.  The males have long tails like that, but I'm not sure what will happen as they haven't molted yet.  The problem with those long tails is that if they free range or don't have lots of roosts in their runs, the tails drag on the ground and get all tattered.

Hey everyone:) I have been so busy with outside projects that I haven't been on. Nice Phoenix. I bought a pair at the ohio nationals and went to check them this morning and he is now missing a piece of comb. And they say orphingtons are nice. He bit my sons 4h project:( both are bantams) I thought it would be okay. To quaritine them together. Now I can just hope for eggs and an early hatch. Back to the drawing board. Loved seeing all the pics!

I love price matching. I got a 50' roll of 4' chicken wire for 13 dollars at lowes. I also have my t-posts, and I can't believe I have to wait until tomorrow to pound them into the ground! I"ll post pics when the new run is done!

Back
Top Bottom