INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

There are a couple of feral males that visit my barn, but they don't stay here. I saw one in my coop last week and initially blamed him for my chick disappearances but now I wonder if he was trying to catch my predator.

This was the first winter we haven't had an indoor cat and I saw more mice than I've ever seen in my life!

There are a couple of feral males that visit my barn, but they don't stay here. I saw one in my coop last week and initially blamed him for my chick disappearances but now I wonder if he was trying to catch my predator.

This was the first winter we haven't had an indoor cat and I saw more mice than I've ever seen in my life!

For some people seeing 3 mice would be more than they have ever seen in their life.

Then there are people like me that have seen dozens on a single day running the just harvested corn fields. Or that have found a mouse nest just to show it to the chickens.

I agree. Mine started with dumping liquid laundry detergent down the front of a customer at work. Thankfully they were nice and understanding about it!
it's awesome they were nice about it. Mine was cps hinting about me babysitting a kid with adhd and defiant disorder or if i knew someone in my area that could watch him. I think she really wanted me to but, haha i knew someone. I have dad and my step kids. Im always on the road and i hate driving.lol

Getting big! Loving the color
You forgot to mention the breed… it's a double-laced Barnefelder that you hatched just for me!
wink.png

My barns cats do an outstanding job keeping all rodent numbers down. I've been amazed by what they have got. Most amazed by their bat take down. My coops are cat proof but apparently not chick escape proof. One of little ones was on a ranging spree yesterday. My cats learned from being small kittens not to mess with the chickens. They learned the get pecked and chased way. My indoor cat went to get my chick but momma dispatched him quick so he doesn't try that no more.
IMO Bats are good~ they eat mosquitoes! We have bat houses. Luckily, our three male neutered indoor/outdoor cats aren't big hunters, and they quickly learned not to mess with the chickens. It's funny to watch the chickens make the cats nervous. Cats really hate getting pecked on the nose!

@Ol Grey Mare There have been many studies in particular about the effect of feral cats on wildlife. Cats kill/eat such a variety of prey compared to other animals. Here's a good article if anyone is interested. That Cuddly Kitty Is Deadlier Than You Think - NYTimes.com
Editorial: Personally, I've always had indoor/outdoor cats because (just like chickens), I feel better letting them free-range. I feel like the benefits outweigh the risks. If I had a larger lot and a barn, I'd have barn cats, but I'd make sure they were spayed/neutered, had flea/tick/worm, etc. protection and vaccines like my other cats.

Back
Top Bottom