INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Finding more eggs every day! Really happy to see trays filling up finally. Got some pictures of my Sumatra today. BBS.

Also a couple pics of my American Buff geese

Double Stuff my sow is bedded down with a whole lotta straw. Milk is in, and she is such a big goof! I was trying to spread the hay inside the livestock trailer and she was more worried about getting a belly rub. I don't think she will have a large litter this round, definitely plump but hard to feel very many in that tummy. Got her wiped down real well, she was so muddy on her legs and belly. Brushed her real well, and gave her a warm sponge bath.
Here she is running around the pasture this morning before we penned her up. She weighs about 250lbs.

I was wondering if anyone sells their eggs? And for how much? My fiancé and I are trying to figure out a good selling price because we've had a lot of people ask us if we sell them and they want to buy them off us.
This is what I was thinking, when it comes to our family we would give them for free, only thing we ask if they save and return the egg cartons.
For other people I was thinking (and I know my price is a little high but good reason) for a dozen and a half $5.00. For a dozen $4.00. Then if they given us cartons back $2.00 off making a dozen and a half $3.00 and a dozen $2.00.
I charge $3.50 a doz. I used to ask if friends, family, neighbors, etc to collect cartons for us. We have a stack in the corner, so buyers can take or leave cartons as needed. (aka the Leaning Tower of Egg Cartons) I stopped asking for them over 2 yrs ago.......but my stack keeps growing & growing. The cost of regular eggs in the Chicago area is about $3.50. Higher if free range or from Whole Foods. Since I can't promise a constant supply, don't wash or grade them, & only sell the extras to family, friends, & neighbors, I don't worry about making a profit. In spring/ summer, the chickens can easily pay for their feed via selling the extra eggs. I would have to charge more per dozen if I wanted to break even for all 12 months. No egg sales at all mid Oct - end Feb.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo ~ @ellymayRans (Screech's grandmother) and anyone interested in Screech's Necropsy...

So I had emailed Purdue's Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab, and asked what they thought about my vet's recommendation of using Wazine for my remaining flock—I had assumed that it had to do with Screech having capillariasis.

I also asked if there was anything I could do for the rest of my flock because of the diagnosis of mycoplasmosis.
Purdue replied (see below) that the diagnosis was not mycoplasmosis ?1?
This is why I thought mycoplasmosis was the diagnosis: 1.) Although I had noticed that it was not listed under Diagnosis, I thought it had been accidentally omitted (considering there were a few mix-ups on the report that I noted below in red). 2.) I also thought it was the diagnosis because under Comment on Diagnosis: See histopathology comments, mycoplasmosis was listed first, and capillariasis is noted as not being a cause of death. 3). when my vet had called me about the report, I had understood him to say that CRD was the diagnosis and capillariasis was also found. 4.) I am crazy.

However, after I received the reply today, I realized that I hadn't take into account the words, "most suggestive of" mycoplasmosis.

Here's his reply:

Dear Julie,

My name is Dr. Lossie, and I am the poultry diagnostic resident who worked on the case with Dr. Wigle.
We did not diagnose Mycoplasma as we can not make a diagnosis with just histopathologic findings. The only other way to get a diagnosis would be to do PCR on some of the tissues that we have saved back. The PCR is not 100 percent if we do not get a section of trachea or lung that has the bacteria in it. However we can still run the test if you would like for an additional 25 dollars.

In terms of de-worming we usually recommend using Goat safeguard (liquid) and dosing 1 milliliter per 4lbs of bird. You will need to medicate once every 5 days for three total treatments. In terms of deworming first with Wazine to prevent worm die off and impaction, I will check with my advisors.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and we will go from there.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey Lossie
My reply said that I suppose there is no need to do PCR testing unless the results would indicate that the rest of my flock needs a specific treatment.
On page two, I noted that the Preliminary Report (that "suspects" Marek's) follows the Final Report...

Already I've spent $174 for the necropsy and additional tests and don't really know anything for sure except there was a capillariasis problem. And I still don't have final worming instructions. On one hand, my life would have been much less stressful had I not sent Screech in for a necropsy!! On the other hand, it is interesting (and frightening) to read about all the things going on in her tiny body! Poor baby, and she never showed symptoms other than occasionally not acting quite like herself. And I also feel terrible about her bumblefoot! She never limped or anything and feathers make inspection more difficult, but it's my responsibility. It would be interesting to know what necropsy reports on Eliza and Adeline would've shown. At one point, I morbidly mentioned actually digging them up for clues, but after researching online, I learned that there is so much of "this sign could be this or this or this and sometimes is mistaken for this" and "there's no completely accurate test for this and this and this"!!!! Chicken health is ridiculously complicated!

OR
Here's a screenshot so you know what it's about:

Welcome to the Indiana Thread! @3arrowfarm and @Hennypenny15 For more info about our thread: Indiana BYC'ers Members, Events, & Links

Good to see those we haven't heard from lately: @hanakimi and @Carole AM and @Dish chickens and I am sorry if I left anyone else out!
Originally Posted by @pipdzipdnreadytogo
It should be interesting to see what the Purdue vets say back... I'm not sure if the Purdue vets will recommend the same wormers that I did because both are off-label usages for poultry, though.
hide.gif

Apparently that wasn't the case since they recommended Goat wormer. lol
There's no 'think' about it, Wazine-17 (AKA Piperazine 17%) works ONLY for roundworms in poultry (this page has the label instructions and uses on it: http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html ). It is one of very few wormers approved for use in chickens, however, and was the only one on the market for a long time, which is quite possibly why he recommended it. Unfortunately, it will not solve your capillary worm problem. I hope the Purdue vets can guide you to something that will.

1.) Purdue's reply "seemed to ~ possibly ~ maybe" theorize that my vet recommended Wazine as a first course, but my vet didn't mention a second course.
2). I'm wondering if just because Screech had that type of worm, that doesn't "suggest" that they all have that exact type. Yes, I'm grasping at straws.
3.) My vet is crazy.

Originally Posted by tmarsh83
Thank you. So many people use their phones, and I get that it's convenient but it's so hard to get steady images. The most underutilized piece of photo or video equipment is a TRIPOD!
That is SO true — and tripods are often needed for photos as well as videos.
@jchny2000 Great photos of your healthy, happy array of livestock!

@Mother2Hens I can well imagine how difficult this must be. I know these are your beloved pets, and not only do you have the mourning of loss but the confusion as to why? It appears there is so much even our vets don't know. Not much for peace of mind for us. I know the main concern for you is to establish whats happened and how you can protect your flock.
I hope you receive some definitive answers soon as to how you should treat. Valbazen is another option thats another "off label" worming medicine, good reviews. I have a spring order set for it to rotate from Ivermectin.

Well I'm sad to say my last silkie has died. I have sent the last two birds off for necropsy to Purdue. I am awaiting results. I am just at a loss and it makes me so sad. To my knowledge it started with coccidiosis and has gone downhill from there. I've been fighting an uphill battle. And of course since I've lost a few chicks and birds in the past year, I am just waiting and in the back of my mind I keep saying okay who's next. I'm a nervous wreck always about them and if one bird even does something abnormal I start to get really nervous. Like anxiety. Ugh I just want to enjoy and relax about my flock.

Do you guys vaccinate chicks? If so, which vaccines?

I'm sure once I get the reports back I'll know more. But I'm itching to hatch some chicks. But I won't until I can figure out what is going on with my birds.

Back
Top Bottom