INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well I'm sad to say my last silkie has died. I have sent the last two birds off for necropsy to Purdue. I am awaiting results. I am just at a loss and it makes me so sad. To my knowledge it started with coccidiosis and has gone downhill from there. I've been fighting an uphill battle. And of course since I've lost a few chicks and birds in the past year, I am just waiting and in the back of my mind I keep saying okay who's next. I'm a nervous wreck always about them and if one bird even does something abnormal I start to get really nervous. Like anxiety. Ugh I just want to enjoy and relax about my flock.

Do you guys vaccinate chicks? If so, which vaccines?

I'm sure once I get the reports back I'll know more. But I'm itching to hatch some chicks. But I won't until I can figure out what is going on with my birds.

Sorry for your losses. I hope they can figure out an answer for you.

Finding more eggs every day! Really happy to see trays filling up finally. Got some pictures of my Sumatra today. BBS.

Also a couple pics of my American Buff geese

Double Stuff my sow is bedded down with a whole lotta straw. Milk is in, and she is such a big goof! I was trying to spread the hay inside the livestock trailer and she was more worried about getting a belly rub. I don't think she will have a large litter this round, definitely plump but hard to feel very many in that tummy. Got her wiped down real well, she was so muddy on her legs and belly. Brushed her real well, and gave her a warm sponge bath.
Here she is running around the pasture this morning before we penned her up. She weighs about 250lbs.

Handsome rooster there.

She looks bigger than 250. Love those belted hogs!

Already I've spent $174 for the necropsy and additional tests and don't really know anything for sure except there was a capillariasis problem. And I still don't have final worming instructions. On one hand, my life would have been much less stressful had I not sent Screech in for a necropsy!! On the other hand, it is interesting (and frightening) to read about all the things going on in her tiny body! Poor baby, and she never showed symptoms other than occasionally not acting quite like herself. And I also feel terrible about her bumblefoot! She never limped or anything and feathers make inspection more difficult, but it's my responsibility. It would be interesting to know what necropsy reports on Eliza and Adeline would've shown. At one point, I morbidly mentioned actually digging them up for clues, but after researching online, I learned that there is so much of "this sign could be this or this or this and sometimes is mistaken for this" and "there's no completely accurate test for this and this and this"!!!! Chicken health is ridiculously complicated!
It's never easy to lose animals, i'm sorry for that. Sadly, whether it's chickens, horses, swine, or dogs, if you were to perform a necropsy on every animal you ever lose you would be amazed at all that is going on inside that doesn't materialize outside. Cancers, legions, abscesses, they are there in every animal you, or I, or any other member here has.

I know it doesn't really help, but it's the sad truth. Bottom line is you shouldn't feel bad about any of it. Your birds are comfortable and happy, the fact that there weren't external signals is probably evidence that your birds were incredibly happy.

Animal health is complicated, and when they can't tell you that they are in pain or discomfort it's worse. All we can do is care for them the best we know how and provide for them. You do that as well as anyone. Don't let yourself get down on yourself.

More I'm looking, the less I'm seeing that would suggest injury. No noticeable bruises, breaks or cuts. His comb is still bright and rosy, still very much alert, hasn't nipped me since yesterday morning. Both legs are equally favored/unfavored (I had to watch him quite awhile to see it though). What I thought might be construed as bruising (light purplish color to the hock joint and just above it. He might just have that color due to his pinkish white legs) has not changed since bringing him in, nor have the diameters of these joints. Pinky toes might be slightly curled, but it's probably just of the foot he's favoring (toes in the air tend to curl anyway). Weight is always shifted onto the hocks, which is similar to the chicks which suffered b-vitamin deficiencies earlier this year.

Head and neck orientation seem to be fine (though he might get a crick in it with all the leaning he does, given that he lies on one side at a time). Wings seem redder in places, especially at joints, probably owing to the increased whacking of them into things. His bottom is redder, probably due to sitting in his poo (he has very pale, and apparently sensitive skin). He also likes to dump his fancy, medicated water out, and I'm sure that's not helping. Not sure what more I can do besides changing his bedding everyday, which I've been already been doing. Going to have to get him baths and dirty up a hoard of baby wipes, I guess.

Put some extra b-vitamins in addition to extra vitamin/electrolyte solution. He cannot sit up straight, let alone stand. Via flopping, however, he can cover a fair distance and even get out of his tote. He's very unhappy in his poo, so I'm going to have to get him a bath tomorrow maybe, but I have pulled him out onto a puppy pad for a little while so he can stretch out and preen a little more comfortably.

Please research the free Necropsy offered by the Indiana State Poultry Association now, so in the event he passes you can get a full clear idea of what is going on in your flock. Have everything ready in advance and ready to go. I also sent one bird to the University of Missouri because their necropsy was only $55, after I used my free one. Purdue's regular necropsy fee is $140, which I find rediculous on an animal as small as a chicken. Also, when my rooster was down, I was able to make a sling out of a baby tshirt to keep him off his legs. Research that as well.

Im so sorry for everyones recent losses and hope all illnesses are healed quickly!

Im taking a break from hatching :). Mostly because my brooder is full of meat chicks at the moment, but also because I have several pullets that havent started laying yet and Im waiting for chicks from them lol. Freeloaders need to get busy hehe.

While Im waiting, ive started a fodder system to give the birds more greens :). We've got wheat, oats, barley and lentils going. We'll see if it works :). It will help feed the rabbits too.

Also have a greenhouse set up in my dining room with over 300 garden plants started. Cant say my husband is thrilled with that hehe. He keeps tripping over the light cord. Im dreaming of spring yet its supposed to snow today. Ugh. Hope everyone stays dry!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=8B4513]~ @ellymayRans (Screech's grandmother) and anyone interested in Screech's Necropsy...[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]So I had emailed Purdue's Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab, and asked what they thought about my vet's recommendation of using Wazine for my remaining flock—I had assumed that it had to do with Screech having capillariasis.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I also asked if there was anything I could do for the rest of my flock because of the diagnosis of mycoplasmosis.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Purdue replied (see below) that the diagnosis was not mycoplasmosis ?1?[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]This is why I thought[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]mycoplasmosis[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]was the diagnosis: 1.) Although I had noticed that it was not listed under Diagnosis, I thought it had been accidentally omitted (considering there were a few mix-ups on the report that I noted below in red). 2.) I also thought it was the diagnosis because under Comment on Diagnosis: See histopathology comments, mycoplasmosis was listed first, and capillariasis is noted as not being a cause of death. 3).[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]when my vet had called me about the report, I had understood him to say that CRD was the diagnosis and capillariasis was also found. 4.) I am crazy.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]However, after I received the reply today, I realized that I hadn't take into account the words, "most suggestive of" mycoplasmosis.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Here's his reply:[/COLOR] [COLOR=1F497D]Dear Julie,
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1F497D]My name is Dr. Lossie, and I am the poultry diagnostic resident who worked on the case with Dr. Wigle.[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=1F497D]We did not diagnose Mycoplasma as we can not make a diagnosis with just histopathologic findings. The only other way to get a diagnosis would be to do PCR on some of the tissues that we have saved back. The PCR is not 100 percent if we do not get a section of trachea or lung that has the bacteria in it. However we can still run the test if you would like for an additional 25 dollars.

In terms of de-worming we usually recommend using Goat safeguard (liquid) and dosing 1 milliliter per 4lbs of bird. You will need to medicate once every 5 days for three total treatments. In terms of deworming first with Wazine to prevent worm die off and impaction, I will check with my advisors.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and we will go from there.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey Lossie[/COLOR]
[rule][COLOR=8B4513]My reply said that I suppose there is no need to do PCR testing unless the results would indicate that the rest of my flock needs a specific treatment.[/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=8B4513]On page two, I noted that the Preliminary Report (that "suspects" Marek's) follows the Final Report...[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Already I've spent $174 for the necropsy and additional tests and don't really know anything for sure except there was a capillariasis problem. And I still don't have final worming instructions. On one hand, my life would have been much less stressful had I not sent Screech in for a necropsy!! On the other hand, it is interesting (and frightening) to read about all the things going on in her tiny body! Poor baby, and she never showed symptoms other than occasionally not acting quite like herself. And I also feel terrible about her bumblefoot! She never limped or anything and feathers make inspection more difficult, but it's my responsibility. It would be interesting to know what necropsy reports on Eliza and Adeline would've shown. At one point, I morbidly mentioned actually digging them up for clues, but after researching online, I learned that there is so much of "this sign could be this or this or this and sometimes is mistaken for this" and "there's no completely accurate test for this and this and this"!!!! Chicken health is ridiculously complicated![/COLOR]
That is all so confusing. Ive read this and all of your other posts about little Screech and i don't understand. So is there really no answer to "was there Mereks" understand not necessarily the cause of death but what do you really know as for Biosecurity, your new girl Lacy. ..?? Etc? I have never sent in a bird, granted most all of mine have been predator losses or cocci when younger but I would rather have not had any info than to be in your position right now. As for wormer, the safeguard they recommended is what i use on all of my flock due to its broad range of worms it treats. All around great wormer and i rotate it with Ivomec as needed. I have wazine, i have never opened it. Lol.. I'm really sorry about all you've been going through...its good you have the communication via email with them and if i were you i would keep asking questions until you feel comfortable with the answers.

Quote: Our chickens go out on our pasture & we feed non-gmo feed. Last spring after switching to non-gmo feed (which costs us more but is ground fresh at our mill -- sometimes the same day we're there) we raised our prices and told our customers why we were raising the price. Large $3, XL $3.50, Jumbo $4. None of our customers complained and we received positive affirmation for the change in price. We also received appreciation for our eggs - that they're so much better than store eggs. There's a retired couple that are regular customers. Every time they stop by they tell me how much they love our eggs! People will pay for quality and we know we have a much better product than what's in the store. BTW Meijer grocery has XL organic eggs on sale for $3.50 this week. I believe we (collectively) should be charging just as much as the stores since we offer a superior product!

It's that time of year again for us! The kids are in the thick of rehearsals right now. Chloe's in the cast and Benji is helping backstage with set/lights/props/anything that needs done. He's also going to be learning how to handle the ropes for when Mary Poppins flies during the show when the flying company comes to get it set up --- the cast is pretty excited about that! DH has been building set every Saturday for the past month and I've been sewing costumes. Tickets have gone on sale now -- come and see the show if you get a chance -- the kids always do a fantastic job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishlerfarm24

I was wondering if anyone sells their eggs? And for how much? My fiancé and I are trying to figure out a good selling price because we've had a lot of people ask us if we sell them and they want to buy them off us.
This is what I was thinking, when it comes to our family we would give them for free, only thing we ask if they save and return the egg cartons.
For other people I was thinking (and I know my price is a little high but good reason) for a dozen and a half $5.00. For a dozen $4.00. Then if they given us cartons back $2.00 off making a dozen and a half $3.00 and a dozen $2.00.

We live in Indianapolis. Only have 9 hens, varying types, egg sizes M & L, varying colors. We sell eggs for $4 per dozen. I have 3 regular customers at work that buy eggs every week February through November. It pays for the feed and keeps us from having any extra eggs laying around.

It's satisfying to know that our pets provide eggs for 4 families.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom