INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Yes...
If you get some HIGH QUALITY GRASS FEED ground beef, you can give it to them RAW.  At least once a week in the winter I give it to my birds.

DISCLAIMERS:
1.  Do NOT FEED regular supermarket ground beef raw.  (Don't feed it cooked for that matter.)  CAFO raised beef is not safe in any form.

2.  Give them small, bug-sized pieces.  They will usually snarf it down in a frenzy.

3.  DO NOT LEAVE RAW MEAT IN THE PEN OR ANYWHERE.  Feed it to them while you are there, piece by piece.  Pick up anything that may have fallen to the ground.  Never leave a "hunk" of meat out.  Raw meat is a food that should be given "piece by piece" and never left out.

My birds love it and it's good (and easy) for when they can't get out and get bugs in the real world.  It definitely doesn't have the full nutritional profile of "whole bugs" (which tend to be high in calcium and other wonderful nutrients), but it is a good "animal protein" which they need to be healthy.

I'm curious about the grass fed beef requirement, is that personal preference or will grain supplemented beef harm the birds. I've fed regular supermarket beef in the past and haven't noticed any ill effects, but it isn't a regular treat either. Thanks!

1800 S. Ohio St. Martinsville, IN. Tuesday March 15 @ 6:30pm

chicken-chat.jpg

Ive never had any of my EE's in the 5 years Ive had them go broody.
Same, except make it 10 years for me. ;) Actually, one of my EEs did kind of get the broody attitude, but she just wanted to grumble and cluck for 2 days, no actual sitting. And then she went immediately into molt. :confused: But she is the one hen in my flock who mounts the other hens, so I think she's confused to begin with.
:hit feeling pretty sad...Dealing with a goose injury tonight. Doing my regular daily rounds and noticed Gracie, my adult Buff American goose hen was missing. Finally heard her in the unclaimed portion of the property. I saw her neck looked dark. When I got to her, I just cried. Gracie appears to have caught her neck in something. She has her neck completely bare to the flesh, no skin. I have only seen an injury this severe one other time in all the years I have kept birds. Will not post pictures its very upsetting. She is in the spare bathroom tub now. We have started baby aspirin, oxytetracycline and electrolites. Blukote on her neck. I know she's in pain, and am checking on her hourly. She is drinking but will not eat. Just sick over it. My American Buff are timid, wary with people so its been a big challenge already trying to care for her. She is drinking the water at least so the medication is getting into her. I try to human imprint every bird I own for this very reason.. emergencies. The ones I take in as adults are so much more a challenge.
:hugs Oh my goodness, how awful! Keeping my thoughts with Gracie and you! :hugs Hope she gets to feeling better really soon!
[COLOR=8B4513]I brought Lacy to my veterinarian today. He "suspects" CRD and prescribed Tylan for her and for the rest of my flock.[/COLOR] @chick rookie [COLOR=8B4513]~ It doesn't matter if Lacy had it when I got her from you because Screech had "indications" of CRD, which means the rest of my five girls surely have it. [/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Dr. Lossie from Purdue recently sent me this info that I posted before, but doesn't hurt to post again...[/COLOR] [COLOR=1F497D]Mycoplasma (MG) or Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD), is very common in backyard flocks, and birds can harbor the bacteria without showing clinical signs. They tend to show signs during periods of stress. The bacteria can never really be completely removed from the birds (it just hangs around in the sinuses and respiratory tract), but it is treatable with antibiotics (Tylan is the treatment of choice). Unless you are selling hatching eggs or plan on trading the birds with others (making it possible to spread to other flocks), I would not worry much unless other birds begin to show signs. [/COLOR]
I think I posted this the last time you mentioned this, but there are many experts that believe it's in as many as 80% of backyard flocks. In fact, I know of someone now who was told that it's rare to test negative for it. I wouldn't feel bad for not catching it sooner or anything, chick rookie. After all, my flock has likely had it for 6+ years (if the birds who I suspect brought it in are the ones that did) and I didn't have any clue about it until about a year ago. :/
[COLOR=8B4513]They eat their all-flock food, and the usual treats they receive daily (I rotate) may include sunflower kernels and safflower seeds from TSC—they don't like the ones from RK!, freeze dried mealworms, chopped mixed nuts with no salt, flaxseed, chopped grapes and blueberries, chopped romaine, kale, spinach,[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]mozzarella cheese shreds, and sometimes cooked chicken or scrambled eggs. They also like salmon (my DH's grilling specialty). If[/COLOR] [COLOR=CC6600]anyone has other ideas for afternoon snacks[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]-lol-, please post. Despite their menu of treats, many times they look at me like, "You're giving us this same ol' stuff again?!"[/COLOR]
My girls are just a little spoiled, too. ;) They pretty much get a sample of anything I eat, as long as I know for sure there are no ingredients that are toxic for them! They also get any leftover veggies and fruits from what I cut up for my conure. They seem to particularly like cucumbers, squashes, tomatoes (which is why we end up fencing our garden every year!), apples, wild grapes, bread (but never white bread!), cheese, and various lunch meat slices (I just don't have the heart to feed them chicken, however...). They also get plenty of scratch grains, the occasional scoop of coconut oil, and I'm working on grazing frames to give them some grass in their run this summer. I also planted some dandelion seeds in an old window box, because they LOVE dandelion greens! And, like Leahs mom posted, they go nuts for raw ground beef!
[COLOR=8B4513]Lacy is still being broody. However, she laid an egg today! I didn't think broodies laid. I guess she wanted something to actually sit on although I took it away to discourage her broodiness. She was more fun before she hunkered down! I guess it's good that she rests more, though. Although she does the broody warning screech, she lets me move her around when needed. The vet said if all goes well, she can join the rest of my flock in a week! [/COLOR]:)
Margie has a tendency to go broody before her body stops producing eggs, too. She's always been so desperate to be a mother that she jumps into it too fast! Nice thing with Margie and the chicks is that she's been pretty docile as well, like you're describing. She grumbles and growls, but I still can pick up her babies without any skin being removed. :lol:
@pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=8B4513]I'm so jealous! I want Marge and her babies![/COLOR]
I know, isn't it the sweetest thing?! :love I don't have much experience with broodies (and my only other experience has been with a bad broody who raised her children up to be flighty and like playing in the road!), but watching Margie with her babies is just melting my heart! :love I had to mark the baby in that picture because I couldn't tell it apart from the first one that hatched, so it now has a drop of purple food coloring rubbed into its head. :lol: I managed to get it off center, but you can just see some purple on its head in this picture from this morning. (Baby was telling Mama Margaret how abused it had just been!)

I'm curious about the grass fed beef requirement, is that personal preference or will grain supplemented beef harm the birds. I've fed regular supermarket beef in the past and haven't noticed any ill effects, but it isn't a regular treat either. Thanks!
One reason is that CAFO raised animals carry a higher contaminant load - especially antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Animals raised on grass without antibiotic input are much safer in that respect. This is my main concern in feeding raw....it is just much safer.

In general...
Fatty acid profile is also different in grain-fed vs. grass-fed (when fed "species appropriate", the fat they produce is a fat that is "healthy"; when grain-fed the fat produced is "not-so-healthy".)

This is a quick answer in "layman's terms". I could give a more detailed answer with foot notes to back up later on if you'd like!
tongue.png

Last edited:
I want something that isn't feather footed.
My two go-to broodies are silver phoenix. Reliably broody, great moms. Seem to do well in the flock, but nowhere near the top of the pecking order. I also have two chanteclers that go broody multiple times a year, but I haven't had the chance to allow them to raise chicks yet. This year, I've got my broody pens ready, so hopefully I'll have broodies cooperate when I'm ready to start hatching my own eggs. I plan to try to keep the incubator for hatching out eggs for others this year.

Quote: Oh wow, that's so crazy. I think its got a lot to do with the lines, and the individual chicken too. Most of my EE hens will brood If I let them.
Quote:
Thank you I really appreciate it. American buff are so gentle and docile. She is scared but has been pretty accepting to what I've done so far. DH is not happy to see a goose in the house lol. If she was outside I know she won't recover. Will be looking for a large crate ASAP so I can put her in my Brooding trailer.
I have your airport big crate and am bringing it up to you tomorrow.

Ive never had any of my EE's in the 5 years Ive had them go broody.
I have 1 that will but I'm pretty sure she is an Americana ( all white w/slate legs and lays a pretty blue egg ) and she is at lest 3 years old.

hit.gif
feeling pretty sad...Dealing with a goose injury tonight. Doing my regular daily rounds and noticed Gracie, my adult Buff American goose hen was missing. Finally heard her in the unclaimed portion of the property. I saw her neck looked dark. When I got to her, I just cried. Gracie appears to have caught her neck in something. She has her neck completely bare to the flesh, no skin. I have only seen an injury this severe one other time in all the years I have kept birds. Will not post pictures its very upsetting. She is in the spare bathroom tub now. We have started baby aspirin, oxytetracycline and electrolites. Blukote on her neck.
I know she's in pain, and am checking on her hourly. She is drinking but will not eat. Just sick over it.
My American Buff are timid, wary with people so its been a big challenge already trying to care for her. She is drinking the water at least so the medication is getting into her. I try to human imprint every bird I own for this very reason.. emergencies. The ones I take in as adults are so much more a challenge.
O thats terrible!!
hugs.gif
So sorry for the both of you, hoping she recovers.
fl.gif

Gosh Janet! I hate to hear that! I can only imagine how difficult all of that must be. They surprise us in so many ways, recovery being one of them! Big hugs and high hopes she pulls through!

Keep us posted and if a helping hand is needed please ask!
As if you don't have anything else to do!
wink.png
x2

@jchny2000 I'm so sorry to hear about Gracie! Poor girl! I just did some searches about goose injuries, and it sounds like you know what you are doing. On an avian veterinary site, she says that an aspirin dose for a goose follows the same guidelines as chickens: 25 mg per pound of body weight. I'm sure you already know that, but it may help others who have geese. I wish there was something I could do!
I brought Lacy to my veterinarian today. He "suspects" CRD and prescribed Tylan for her and for the rest of my flock.

@chick rookie ~ It doesn't matter if Lacy had it when I got her from you because Screech had "indications" of CRD, which means the rest of my five girls surely have it.

Dr. Lossie from Purdue recently sent me this info that I posted before, but doesn't hurt to post again...
Mycoplasma (MG) or Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD), is very common in backyard flocks, and birds can harbor the bacteria without showing clinical signs. They tend to show signs during periods of stress. The bacteria can never really be completely removed from the birds (it just hangs around in the sinuses and respiratory tract), but it is treatable with antibiotics (Tylan is the treatment of choice). Unless you are selling hatching eggs or plan on trading the birds with others (making it possible to spread to other flocks), I would not worry much unless other birds begin to show signs.

Anyway, hopefully Lacy will improve. She has the occasional rattle and yesterday started occasionally sneezing. Other than that, she's eating and drinking—oh, and I've tried three different natural brands of dry cat food that I've broken up into smaller pieces. She is not interested, and neither are my outside flock! I've tried cat food in the past, and they've turned up their noses! Lacy and the others had a snack today of little pieces of chicken and mozzarella cheese shreds, so that provided some extra protein. They eat their all-flock food, and the usual treats they receive daily (I rotate) may include sunflower kernels and safflower seeds from TSC—they don't like the ones from RK!, freeze dried mealworms, chopped mixed nuts with no salt, flaxseed, chopped grapes and blueberries, chopped romaine, kale, spinach, mozzarella cheese shreds, and sometimes cooked chicken or scrambled eggs. They also like salmon (my DH's grilling specialty). If anyone has other ideas for afternoon snacks -lol-, please post. Despite their menu of treats, many times they look at me like, "You're giving us this same ol' stuff again?!"

Lacy is still being broody. However, she laid an egg today! I didn't think broodies laid. I guess she wanted something to actually sit on although I took it away to discourage her broodiness. She was more fun before she hunkered down! I guess it's good that she rests more, though. Although she does the broody warning screech, she lets me move her around when needed. The vet said if all goes well, she can join the rest of my flock in a week!
smile.png

I'm still pitching all eggs from worming, and now I have to add at least another week of pitching eggs because of Tylan! I don't like meds that go in daily water because there's no way to know who gets it and how much. And with all of the rain we've had, it's impossible to get rid of puddles.
sad.png

It's fun to see all of the spring baby photos!
@ellymayRans ~ You must be in heaven with all those adorable ducklings!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
I'm so jealous! I want Marge and her babies!

@Mishlerfarm24
I love this photo of your girls on the perch. They look so nice and orderly, but I wonder how much time they spent bickering before settling on a spot!

@Leahs Mom
I have a lone Blue Silkie, Smalty, since my other was murdered by a raccoon. Smalty holds her own with the others even though she's at the bottom of the pecking order. She's been broody several times, but just lasts a week or so —not reliable. And she doesn't do well in extreme cold, especially since she doesn't have anyone to cuddle up with. Silkies like to cuddle so you need to get a pile of silkies! Haha
Glade you found out what it is and that it is treatable, will have to watch my flock. Lacy has tried 2 times to raise chicks. She has bad luck and they end up getting killed ( Falcon and dog )

One reason is that CAFO raised animals carry a higher contaminant load - especially antibiotic-resistant bacteria.  Animals raised on grass without antibiotic input are much safer in that respect.  This is my main concern in feeding raw....it is just much safer.

In general...
Fatty acid profile is also different in grain-fed vs. grass-fed (when fed "species appropriate", the fat they produce is a fat that is "healthy"; when grain-fed the fat produced is "not-so-healthy".)

This is a quick answer in "layman's terms".  I could give a more detailed answer with foot notes to back up later on if you'd like!  :p  

That is interesting in terms of the fat profile. I was able to tour the traders point creamery operation a few years back. They are a "grass fed" organic operation. I use quotes around grass fed because they of course still have to supplement their feed due to how many calories a milk producing cow needs (it was something like 12,000+ calories per day per cow). They supplement with molasses and hay. It was a cool tour. As of 2015, 97% of farms are still family owned and the large mega farms are only producing around 3% of the meat in the US. Having worked in the Ag industry it is always super interesting to get to tour working farms and see how they operate and how much the news actually gets right!

hit.gif
feeling pretty sad...Dealing with a goose injury tonight. Doing my regular daily rounds and noticed Gracie, my adult Buff American goose hen was missing. Finally heard her in the unclaimed portion of the property. I saw her neck looked dark. When I got to her, I just cried. Gracie appears to have caught her neck in something. She has her neck completely bare to the flesh, no skin. I have only seen an injury this severe one other time in all the years I have kept birds. Will not post pictures its very upsetting. She is in the spare bathroom tub now. We have started baby aspirin, oxytetracycline and electrolites. Blukote on her neck.
I know she's in pain, and am checking on her hourly. She is drinking but will not eat. Just sick over it.
My American Buff are timid, wary with people so its been a big challenge already trying to care for her. She is drinking the water at least so the medication is getting into her. I try to human imprint every bird I own for this very reason.. emergencies. The ones I take in as adults are so much more a challenge.
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this! i hope shes feeling better and everything works out. i know you are doing everything you can!

Weekly Chicken Event Post!

We have many of the 2016 swap meet and auction dates available on the Indiana BYC'ers Events Calendar! Check for the locations on the Indiana BYC'ers Map! I also have each event linked to it's website/Facebook page for additional show details. If you have additional shows or dates/info for Indiana Poultry Breeders Association Show or White River Poultry Club Show, please message me.

Friday, March 11 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana

If you do go, try wearing your official Indiana BYC T-shirt and see if you spot anyone else there! Also, please take pictures to share!

Upcoming Events:

Friday, March 18 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
---
Friday, March 25 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday March 25 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
---
Friday, April 1 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Sunday, April 3 - Tri-K Pigeon & Bantam Club Pigeon Fair
---
Friday, April 8 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday, April 8 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 9 - Southern Indiana Poultry Show in Bloomington, Indiana
Saturday, April 9 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, April 10 - Golden Horseshoe Saddle Club/Knox Swap Meet
Sunday, April 10 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
---
Friday, April 15 -
Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 16 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, April 17 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
---
Friday, April 22 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday, April 22 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 23 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, April 24 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page

---
Friday, April 29 -
Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 30 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 1 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN

**This information does not guarantee the event will happen. Please check the auction or swap meet website/Facebook page to confirm dates/times before you travel!

Has been a while since I have posted! Hope everyone is doing well and that your flocks have made it through the winter.

Some updates from the homestead:

Here are some of our silkies visiting their neighbors. The chickens in the coop are ISA browns. The ISA browns are back to laying really well since we have more daylight and we are getting a lot of eggs each day.

We had 7 eggs last year from the peahen and all 7 hatched and survived (so far). So we now have 10, and really hoping our white peahen lays this year for the first time.

My husband's fav girl, who we got at Rural King last year!

Went to Florida last month and got to feed these budgies, they were all over our feet picking off seeds we stepped on!

We got a new puppy last summer, named Stitch. He is an English Shepherd.

Here he is all grown up! We are in advanced training classes at Petsmart now, hoping he can get his certification as a caregiver dog.

Walked past this poor bee the other day on our fence (we keep honeybees) and she flew right into the barb wire and was stuck! Strange things happen sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom