INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Nope, test from this morning looks like just as much of a super faint line as the other four now. Lines do have color to them, so they're not just evaporation lines. Husband isn't taking the faint lines seriously, so we're going to have to test again after another week or so. I'm not sure what we can do about it if I am pregnant again, anyway, but having a baby is better than having cancer and anything else that can cause these sorts of symptoms. I'm already enrolled for completely necessary classes this summer, but I'm going to have to look into how a pregnancy might be affected by chemistry labs. A lady stopped coming to labs because of becoming pregnant early last year. :fl  Really hoping she was just being super-protective, because I've never heard of a ban on pregnant ladies in labs. If I can't take labs, I'm screwed out of a degree at this point. As is, if I'm having another baby, I may have to figure out what I can do to be four-years-and-done instead of doing PhD, post-doc, DVM, etc. I'm already so old to be in college. :hit

Plus, I have a yard full of undiagnosed chickens who are carrying something back and forth, so nobody wants them. Wave done so much work on the shed, but weather just isn't cooperating. Wish we'd known about possible Baby #4 before committing so much money to this cause. 

Oh, Indyshent, I'll pray for you. I hope you have definite answers if you are pregnant for working in the lab. Yeah, my husband didn't believe me with any of my pregnancy tests until we actually went to the Dr. and he saw a heart beat ;) All 3 of them. Someone told us recently they had gotten pregnant after their husband had a vasectomy too. Their youngest was 12 when she got pregnant again. We opted for my tubes tied, had it done same day I had our youngest. Hoping it works. Definitely feel your anxiety. Go out and get some chicken therapy, watching those crazy birds helps.

Thanks for the heads up! I have some neighbors that got full grown hens, I will see where they got them from. Do you think it is worth the effort to get chicks instead?

Chicks are fun, are safer from a disease standpoint, usually end up friendlier and really aren't hard to raise if you educate yourself in advance. Give them enough space, proper temps and fill their feeders and waterers along with keeping an eye out for a couple common maladies and you are good to go.

Went to RK for feed and 15 little isa's followed me home.

Hello Indiana Peeps

I'm new to BYC. I moved from Phoenix Az to the Lafayette area. I'm technically in Tippecanoe County. Last year i started my little backyard farm with Khaki Campbell ducks. My hen has started laying so very excited. I decided to expand to chickens. So I'm the new mama of 4 feathered legged bantams and 2 silkies. Excited to my chicken journey!

Sincerely Tina

Hey Gang,
Getting really close to starting my coop. Sat down to draw up my plans and in researching some details, I came across a 4x4 coop plan by Purina (tried link below but couldn't make it work) that seems pretty slick. Very similar to what I was trying to draw up, but mine was a little different. Mainly nest box placement which I would put on the sides as my run will be on the front. I plan to build a run and have no more than 6 hens when the dust settles. Any thoughts on size, ventilation of this design and how overwintering the birds might go? I thought I might lengthen it by a foot or two front to back if it didn't add too much cost, but would that make it any better? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Not the picture at the top. Scroll down for the plans.

http://www.mansfieldfeed.com/news-updates/build-your-own-chicken-coop-2014-02-3056

Hey Gang,
Getting really close to starting my coop.  Sat down to draw up my plans and in researching some details, I came across a 4x4 coop plan by Purina (tried link below but couldn't make it work) that seems pretty slick.  Very similar to what I was trying to draw up, but mine was a little different.  Mainly nest box placement which I would put on the sides as my run will be on the front.  I plan to build a run and have no more than 6 hens when the dust settles.  Any thoughts on size, ventilation of this design and how overwintering the birds might go?  I thought I might lengthen it by a foot or two front to back if it didn't add too much cost, but would that make it any better?  Thanks in advance for any comments.

Not the picture at the top.  Scroll down for the plans.

http://www.mansfieldfeed.com/news-updates/build-your-own-chicken-coop-2014-02-3056

Plan for at least 2-3X as many birds as you think will be plenty. It's called chicken math and I am sure over 90% of us here are afflicted. At minimum, make it easy to expand. We bumped our coop out twice before my DH started constructing the first of 4 additional mini coops, and even with that we bought a used coop plus occasionally use dog crates in the garage for pair breeding. It's a disease!!

@Indyshent, you should be fine for most General Chem labs. When you have unknowns in Organic or any higher courses, you need to let the prof and TA'S know. They may be able to either switch you to a safer unknown, provide you with or recommend an appropriate mask, or possibly let you work in a laminar flow hood. There are carcinogens in Organic, like benzene and its derivatives. Under the law, they MUST accommodate any medical condition. MUST!

Last edited:
Asking for good thoughts as 25 eggs go into lock down. They were incubated at a wacky range of temps and I'm surprised how many made it this far. Hoping for at least 20 to hatch healthy. About a dozen more are due by the end of the month, but they missed the temp roller-coaster. My auto turner also died and I've been doing that by hand...hopefully often enough!

Also looking for recommendations for cabinet incubators, which I know can be very expensive. I like my Brinsea products BUT they aren't holding up to even moderate use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom