INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I was going out to the barn monday afternoon to feed the birds, and look who was waiting for me:

It was my first time seeing him up close and personal. He had no fear of me at all. And he was shaking his feathers at anything that walked by. Chicken, turkey, cat.... it didn't matter what it was, he was just hoping someone would notice how pretty he is. Unfortunately for him, except for me watching him, he might as well been invisible....such is the life of a boy bird on the farm. lol
LOL my fella is doing the same thing! My peahen hides when he displays, as soon as he folds his tail she is right there. I will be so glad to get the bigger house finished this weekend.

Quote:
( So who near me might have some EE / Americauna chicks they'll be offering up ? )
PM me if so.....
I have both breeds, am filling my wait list orders and will be offering them soon! PM if interested.

My son's hen (a Leghorn mix) is about 3 yrs. She's been an amazing layer of daily Jumbo eggs. For a few months her egg shells have been getting thinner - sometimes they have calcium deposit bumps. I switched to a better feed, but still only her eggs have weak shells. Today she laid a shell-less egg!!! She will eat the chicken feed but prefers to find her own treats in the yard. Her eggs were stronger when there was snow & she was forced to eat the layer feed. I have never seen her peck at oyster shell. The other hens have nice strong shells (similar to what Crista described).

Is there anything I can do to help her out or is this how I know it's time to cull? (She's not an affectionate bird, but we enjoy those giant eggs.) Because 40- 50% of her eggs get broken in the nest box, I'm nervous about getting an egg-eater. Any suggestions?
My only thought is to grind used eggs shells up in a blender, and add to the feed. May have to confine her for a bit, at least to up her calcium intake. I have 3 leghorn hens and adore the production, not so much the hens lol. They are a very flighty bird, but definitely a good producer.

Thank you everyone. I really hope Huey comes back. I just know she is gone, every brood she has done, she always comes to me for her daily treat.
Busy evening, My second sow had 8 piglets! One baby was stillborn
hit.gif
. I know, its common with pigs, but it was the only one that looked like Daddy Oreo! The rest are black like Momma, a Berkshire mix. This is her first farrow, and she is doing very well. Piglets are healthy and active. Pictures tomorrow once the mother is comfortable and babies have full tummies!
love.gif

Last edited:
I was going out to the barn monday afternoon to feed the birds, and look who was waiting for me:

It was my first time seeing him up close and personal. He had no fear of me at all. And he was shaking his feathers at anything that walked by. Chicken, turkey, cat.... it didn't matter what it was, he was just hoping someone would notice how pretty he is. Unfortunately for him, except for me watching him, he might as well been invisible....such is the life of a boy bird on the farm. lol
Beautiful
love.gif

Thank you everyone. I really hope Huey comes back. I just know she is gone, every brood she has done, she always comes to me for her daily treat.
hit.gif
. I know, its common with pigs, but it was the only one that looked like Daddy Oreo! The rest are black like Momma, a Berkshire mix. This is her first farrow, and she is doing very well. Piglets are healthy and active. Pictures tomorrow once the mother is comfortable and babies have full tummies!
love.gif
hugs.gif
cant wait to see them.

Well I have 1/4 of the house packed up, my walls are bare!! and the nic-nac's are packed away, still got LOTS to do but I will have the house packed before we even get in the house at this rate!! Drove by ( just cause ) and junk cars are still there and all the trash out back and a VERY large pile of aluminum cans just inside the woods re still there, they can leave all those cans if they like... lol $$$$$ 10 days till the 3rd...........
fl.gif

Am missing BA hen. Just gone... no signs of foul play, just gone. Been gone for 5 days now.
Ransom is feeling better and Ridgett has not had any "fainting" spells for a week, so the Salt did the trick... go figure, now to get the weight back on her and she will be good as new. O her hooves have passed inspection finally!!!!
celebrate.gif

Our GP that has been suffering from depression for the past 2 years, we found a way to get him happy again!!!! ......... Take him for a car ride and share chicken strips and munchers with him.. Keeps him happy for a whole week!!!! He plays, he is eating normal and gaining weight. He goes to the vet for his yearly's in 2 weeks, I cant wait to see the look on the vets face, he wanted to put him on pills.
woot.gif

I have people wanting me to hatch them some chicks and they are making it very hard not to dig out the incubator and plug it in!!!!
he.gif
BUT I just keep slapping my hands and telling myself NO NO!!!! I have 10 DZ eggs I have to take to the auction this weekend not selling too good right now, don't know why??? Rockville most times goes high on eggs so might get a little bit out of it.
DH has been driving me nuts with threatening me with getting chicks from RK. and he called me from TSC and said they had a boat load of bantam chicks, 2 troughs of them and they were crowed!! They were Assorted breeds. He said Silkie and Seabrights ( silver and gold ) for sure, couldn't tell the rest.
Well thats all my updates for now. Hope everyone has a great day and stay dry
cool.png

@jchny2000 Oh, I hope you are mistaken about Huey...

In happier news, we both became grandma's to a bunch of lavender Orp chicks in the last day, still 4 more eggs left to hatch. All healthy and darling and super fluffy! Roadrunner has done well with my girls.

Last edited:
hit.gif
love.gif

Great news about the piglets. Berk/Hamp cross will be superior feeder pigs. That's awesome.

@tmctlt : we have some americauna/chantecler mix eggs due to hatch this weekend if you're interested in chicks , although we are a few hours away
Thank you very much iamfivewire....but jcny2000 is a bit closer :)

***********************************************************************************************************************

Quote:
Originally posted by jchny2000

I have both breeds, am filling my wait list orders and will be offering them soon! PM if interested.

**************************************************************************************************************************

PM sent
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Didn't get the entire thing wrapped. Need some more lumber to build out the door and finish the dividing wall. Also shorted myself on gable trim. Still, made good progress working by myself again today. Starting to come together.
I am curious to find out what recipes you all like to make when you have an abundance of eggs? Egg salad? Yellow cake? Angel food cake? Deviled eggs?
:eek: Wow! Is that all from today? My family loves it when I bake home-made Brioche with whipped honey butter.
brioche+001pix640.jpg.jpg
Not sure I got both pictures in, but if anyone needs me for anything I ll be hiding out in tmarsh83's new red barn with Faraday40's brioche!
1f600.png

Weekly Chicken Event Post!

We have many of the 2016 swap meet and auction dates available on the Indiana BYC'ers Events Calendar! Check for the locations on the Indiana BYC'ers Map! I also have each event linked to it's website/Facebook page for additional show details. If you have additional shows or dates/info for Indiana Poultry Breeders Association Show or White River Poultry Club Show, please message me.

Friday, March 25 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday March 25 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana

If you do go, try wearing your official Indiana BYC T-shirt and see if you spot anyone else there! Also, please take pictures to share!

Upcoming Events:

Friday, April 1 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Sunday, April 3 - Tri-K Pigeon & Bantam Club Pigeon Fair
---
Friday, April 8 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday, April 8 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 9 - Southern Indiana Poultry Show in Bloomington, Indiana
Saturday, April 9 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, April 10 - Golden Horseshoe Saddle Club/Knox Swap Meet
Sunday, April 10 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
---
Friday, April 15 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 16 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, April 17 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
---
Friday, April 22 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday, April 22 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 23 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, April 24 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page

---
Friday, April 29 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 30 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 1 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN

**This information does not guarantee the event will happen. Please check the auction or swap meet website/Facebook page to confirm dates/times before you travel!

Back
Top Bottom