INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So, I'm researching and I'm not finding the information I'm after really. Rather than ask in the meat bird forum, I'm asking here, because, well, this group does a better job answering questions.

I'm looking at growing some meat birds next year. A friend is also interested and will split the cost and labor with me. I'm leaning toward Cornish x because I could do several batches a year and I like the fast turn around and feed conversion. This means butchering at 6-8 weeks or so.

I want to use a tractor, but how long will they even be in the tractor. They still aren't going to feather until four of five weeks right? They're going to be in a brooder for the first three weeks or so aren't they? So two or three weeks in the tractor and done? What am I missing? I'm not finding a resource that actually spells that timeline out very well. Are people dropping heat lamps in their tractors to get them out there sooner?
I do CX during the summer. I tractor them but I free range during the day once old enough. It slows the growth a little but also prevents flip. They are good sized hefty birds by 8 weeks.

@chick rookie Are you still in the same part of TH? I can't believe you are having problems like that and hope it gets resolved soon!

@kittydoc beautiful pics, love this one especially!

@iamfivewire your new chicks looks so sweet!
love.gif

@Indyshent hope you feel better soon! There is a lot of stuff going around in Terre Haute. Flu, colds, seasonal allergies, the works.

@lp0311 @ChickenMami6 @MrsMonty1995
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to our thread! Make yourself comfortable and looking forward to reading your posts!

@PeacefulWalls Keeping your family in my thoughts and hoping it turns out okay. Also that you can be with your again flock soon!

@tmarsh83 I didn't use a tractor for our meat birds, had a small coop and run for them. Here the cornish crosses are at 1 week old on April 5.

Here they are on April 30, much larger but not quite ready. Don't mind the silkie in lower right corner. She liked to visit them. LOL

Just a few weeks later, on May 17th you can see they are fully grown. We slaughtered on May 23, and really could have done it a week earlier as there was more fat on them, not much more muscle.

0.jpg

Once the chickens have their adult feathers and the threat of frost has passed, the chickens were outside without a lamp and fine.

Weekly Chicken Event Post!

We have many of the 2016 swap meet and auction dates available on the Indiana BYC'ers Events Calendar! Check for the locations on the Indiana BYC'ers Map! I also have each event linked to it's website/Facebook page for additional show details. If you have additional shows or dates/info for Indiana Poultry Breeders Association Show or White River Poultry Club Show, please message me.

Friday, April 1 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Sunday, April 3 - Tri-K Pigeon & Bantam Club Pigeon Fair in Kankakee, Illinois

If you do go, try wearing your official Indiana BYC T-shirt and see if you spot anyone else there! Also, please take pictures to share!

Upcoming Events:

Friday, April 8 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday, April 8 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 9 - Southern Indiana Poultry Show in Bloomington, Indiana
Saturday, April 9 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, April 10 - Golden Horseshoe Saddle Club/Knox Swap Meet
Sunday, April 10 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
---
Friday, April 15 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 16 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, April 17 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
---
Friday, April 22 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Friday, April 22 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 23 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, April 24 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page

---
Friday, April 29 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 30 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 1 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN

**This information does not guarantee the event will happen. Please check the auction or swap meet website/Facebook page to confirm dates/times before you travel!

Once the chickens have their adult feathers and the threat of frost has passed, the chickens were outside without a lamp and fine.

I do CX during the summer. I tractor them but I free range during the day once old enough. It slows the growth a little but also prevents flip. They are good sized hefty birds by 8 weeks.

@atrueb00 I want to avoid building another coop really. Since the meaties would be temporary, I would prefer a tractor that is either disassembled or stored minimally.

@jchny2000 I've seen you mention that before, and that is kind of my plan as well, I guess what i'm not finding is what the "old enough" is. Even in summer the nighttime temps can get into the high 50s. a three week old chick can't manage that, right? Even at five weeks can they? I want to have them out like you mention. I'm fine slowing it a week or two. I'd rather it's slowed a couple weeks and I keep all the birds than it's two weeks earlier and I lose 10%.

Still sorting things out in my mind, just trying to make sure I have a grasp on it.

@atrueb00 I want to avoid building another coop really. Since the meaties would be temporary, I would prefer a tractor that is either disassembled or stored minimally.

@jchny2000 I've seen you mention that before, and that is kind of my plan as well, I guess what i'm not finding is what the "old enough" is. Even in summer the nighttime temps can get into the high 50s. a three week old chick can't manage that, right? Even at five weeks can they? I want to have them out like you mention. I'm fine slowing it a week or two. I'd rather it's slowed a couple weeks and I keep all the birds than it's two weeks earlier and I lose 10%.

Still sorting things out in my mind, just trying to make sure I have a grasp on it.
Makes sense, they are only around for such a short amount of time, and they will be in the brooder for at least a week or two. I did have mine in with bantam chickens and it wasn't a problem. They were too busy eating to bother the smaller chickens.

wee.gif

CUDDLES was in a nest box!!!!!
This is a sight i haven't seen in a very long time! She was panting a bit & then jumped out. There was a warm egg. (not wet, so I can't be 100% sure it was her.) It's not a pullet-sized egg, so i'm hopeful that it was her & she's OK/healthy. Her last egg was Sept 1st, 2015, so this is a big deal here. For those of you who don't know Cuddles, she my fav chicken whom I talk about all the time. She's trained to do all kinds of tricks, responds to her name, & of course is well loved by everyone in the neighborhood. (as well as a few fans from BYC)

As for the "panting" her beak was open, but I didn't hear any noise. Kind of like a hot summer chicken, which she could feel hot in this crazy fluctuating weather. I'll keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom