INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Leahs Mom Hope you have good luck with your bees this year! Regular inspections can be very fun and will help to keep your hive at its best. We have only done Langstroth so far for a couple of reasons. One, TBH tend to produce a lot of drone comb instead of workers. Two, you are limited in space and how much honey you will get. Where we used to live in northern Indiana, this would be a problem for bees making it through long, cold winters. We spotted a neighbor with a TBH and are hoping to make friends soon. My DH really wants to build a TBH now that we are further south and give it a go.
@atrueb00

Hubby is also making a long Lanstrogh that we'll have some local TF bees going into from a local split. I have more hope for those than the package bees in the tb but we shall see!

Managing horizontal or TB hives is quite different that the regular langs. Our long lang will also be foundationless with F-style frames from Kelley (or possibly a different frame that is similar from another company. This long lang is able to hold 32 frames and has 2" thick walls. I'll be interested to see how it fares as well. I'm way more excited about the long lang and the ease of using the frames in it. It will be an adventure to compare the 2.

The TB will be well insulated for winter as well.

Quote: Phone:(574) 831-6267
This is who we also use. Just an update -- they changed owners (same family??) last year so it's now called Roland's Chicken Butchering. Same location but new phone number: 574-354-1246.
Tagging @TheHenHut4U2

Thanks PW for the update.
Didn't realize they had changed phones!
If it was a family member that took over the business the old phone will probably still work to somehow get in touch with them!
smile.png

If it was a family member that took over the business the old phone will probably still work to somehow get in touch with them!
smile.png
Thanks again for the information, turns out what I actually found as Martin's is a specialty butcher shop up the road and we now have some pork coming for the freezer!

And Roland's is just a little farther from them so should make for a full freezer heading that way, appreciate everyone that posted to help thanks a bunch!

Hi, everyone! :frow Been a while since I posted. I believe I'm almost 100 pages behind at this point... Probably not going to go back and read everything. :oops: It's very nearly the end of the semester, and needless to say, things got a bit crazy over here! I finally turned in the last piece of homework for the semester today, though! Yay!! I just have finals next week (they all fell on Wednesday--UGH!--except the German final, which is an essay I have to write at home), and I'm done for the summer!

Anyway, thought I would post today's pictures of my little Silkies, since I haven't posted them here for a while! I'm fairly sure that Margie gave me a perfect 50-50 split on boys to girls, but those of you with more Silkie experience can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. ;) Believe it or not, they're already 7 weeks old!

The boys, Benjamin:

And Winter:

And the girls, Indigo:

And Marka:

Marky's starting to get a creamy color to her like her Mama. :love

Oh, and Bennie's just as much of a stinker as he was the day he hatched!

Here's the mini Silkie flock all together! Margaret is being a bit more indifferent with them, and she's started laying eggs as of a couple days ago, but she still flocks with them and snuggles with them in their cat carrier at night. I don't know if she's done being a Mama or not.

Since I'm here, a few flower pictures. We planted these beautiful 'pink-centered' daffodils around Frou-Frou's grave. Aren't they lovely? :love There are white daffodils, too, but they haven't opened just yet.

We also planted these little Puschkinias there, and I think they're perfect. White with just a hint of blue, just like Frou-Frou was... :love

And now that that picture overload is done... :oops: Since the semester is ending, I can (hopefully) keep up with this thread again!

Oh, and just wondering--has there been any discussion yet about a ChickenFest this year?

Edited to remove a backslash that snuck in there!

Last edited:
@atrueb00

Hubby is also making a long Lanstrogh that we'll have some local TF bees going into from a local split. I have more hope for those than the package bees in the tb but we shall see!

Managing horizontal or TB hives is quite different that the regular langs. Our long lang will also be foundationless with F-style frames from Kelley (or possibly a different frame that is similar from another company. This long lang is able to hold 32 frames and has 2" thick walls. I'll be interested to see how it fares as well. I'm way more excited about the long lang and the ease of using the frames in it. It will be an adventure to compare the 2.

The TB will be well insulated for winter as well.
The long lang sounds very interesting, please share photos if you have a chance!

Hi all. I have a question about young cockerels. I have watched my 3 barred rocks bump chests from very early on, but they have never been mean to each other. I bought some Australorps a few weeks ago. They are only a week younger than the BRs but a few of them are much smaller. So my BRs are 4.5 weeks and the lorps are 3.5 weeks. One is a definite roo with a larger red comb already. Yesterday one of my BR boys was dust bathing and the little lorp roo looked like he was trying to lay down with him. But then out of nowhere he stands on top on his back, bites his comb and thrashes back and forth for a few seconds before jumping off. Blue was left with a little blood on his comb. Is this what I should start expecting as the boys get older or is Granger just a real ahole? We only plan to keep one roo. I was rooting for this one but not if he's a big meany.

They all should be out to the coop by next weekend, hopefully sooner. Really stinks it's going to rain all weekend. The finish line is in sight! I will get pics soon.

Hi all. I have a question about young cockerels. I have watched my 3 barred rocks bump chests from very early on, but they have never been mean to each other. I bought some Australorps a few weeks ago. They are only a week younger than the BRs but a few of them are much smaller. So my BRs are 4.5 weeks and the lorps are 3.5 weeks. One is a definite roo with a larger red comb already. Yesterday one of my BR boys was dust bathing and the little lorp roo looked like he was trying to lay down with him. But then out of nowhere he stands on top on his back, bites his comb and thrashes back and forth for a few seconds before jumping off. Blue was left with a little blood on his comb. Is this what I should start expecting as the boys get older or is Granger just a real ahole? We only plan to keep one roo. I was rooting for this one but not if he's a big meany.

They all should be out to the coop by next weekend, hopefully sooner. Really stinks it's going to rain all weekend. The finish line is in sight! I will get pics soon.
I've never seen that level of aggression in a bird that young, so I'm pretty sure he's "just a real ahole". Separate your growing boys from everyone else as they get older, and some of that may calm down, but I don't think he's going to magically age out of being a jerk, and I wouldn't put up with it.

My boys are starting to feel some oats and get testy about me invading their space, but they're twice or more the age of your bitties. I have an early bloomer; a eight+ week old boy tried to mount a pullet. He's not crowing yet. The ones that hatched in late November or December of last year are starting to reach manhood in earnest now, and finally are getting around to thinking about mating and crowing. With all the adult competition, I can see why they held off until they were a bit bigger. Favorite crow is the technicolor EE/Sumatra (?) mix from @LonelyPageTurne (mostly dark blue with gold-birchen-y hackles and saddles, and bright red epaulettes). He has a funny disposition and likes to dance, but tries to crow with his mouth closed. It's hilarious. I might keep him because I'm looking to keep a blue egg gene bearing roo that do his duties by the ladies, and so far, Sumatra have been the best all around for chivalry, feed economy, prettiness, and ease of handling (highly recommend them after having three full-blooded roos and two mixes). So... the three roosters I'm down to keeping now are too skinny to eat, when it comes down to it. One's always sick, one's lame, and one's looking to become a pretty good, healthy roo.

I've never seen that level of aggression in a bird that young, so I'm pretty sure he's "just a real ahole". Separate your growing boys from everyone else as they get older, and some of that may calm down, but I don't think he's going to magically age out of being a jerk, and I wouldn't put up with it.

My boys are starting to feel some oats and get testy about me invading their space, but they're twice or more the age of your bitties. I have an early bloomer; a eight+ week old boy tried to mount a pullet. He's not crowing yet. The ones that hatched in late November or December of last year are starting to reach manhood in earnest now, and finally are getting around to thinking about mating and crowing. With all the adult competition, I can see why they held off until they were a bit bigger. Favorite crow is the technicolor EE/Sumatra (?) mix from @LonelyPageTurne
  (mostly dark blue with gold-birchen-y hackles and saddles, and bright red epaulettes). He has a funny disposition and likes to dance, but tries to crow with his mouth closed. It's hilarious. I might keep him because I'm looking to keep a blue egg gene bearing roo that do his duties by the ladies, and so far, Sumatra have been the best all around for chivalry, feed economy, prettiness, and ease of handling (highly recommend them after having three full-blooded roos and two mixes). So... the three roosters I'm down to keeping now are too skinny to eat, when it comes down to it. One's always sick, one's lame, and one's looking to become a pretty good, healthy roo. 

Thank you. I was kinda feeling like he is just plain mean. I was so shocked to see it, but glad I did! I would never keep a mean rooster around. I have no intentions on passing on the jerk genes either. He will be culled. We had always planned to process extra roos between 12-14 weeks. From what I've read, it seems to be the ideal time. Correct me if wrong. Will we still need to separate all of the boys if we process that early? I will definitely keep an eye and separate any aggressors as early as needed (which may end up be fairly soon).

One of our three EE pullets is starting to look like a cockerel. He/she is so skiddish though lol. I think probably the only chick I haven't held since those first few days. Most of the rest jump right up on my arm. Hopefully he/she will calm down a little in time. It makes it difficult though. I really would like to keep one of my BR roosters. I'm really attached to one and could never eat him. He tends to go hang with the girls when all the chest bumping is going on lol. I couldn't imagine getting rid of Osh-kosh either, since we always thought he was a hen. Yes, it will be difficult. Makes me think about more hens...maybe another coop...bah chickens make people crazy...:lol:

Thank you. I was kinda feeling like he is just plain mean. I was so shocked to see it, but glad I did! I would never keep a mean rooster around. I have no intentions on passing on the jerk genes either. He will be culled. We had always planned to process extra roos between 12-14 weeks. From what I've read, it seems to be the ideal time. Correct me if wrong. Will we still need to separate all of the boys if we process that early? I will definitely keep an eye and separate any aggressors as early as needed (which may end up be fairly soon).

One of our three EE pullets is starting to look like a cockerel. He/she is so skiddish though lol. I think probably the only chick I haven't held since those first few days. Most of the rest jump right up on my arm. Hopefully he/she will calm down a little in time. It makes it difficult though. I really would like to keep one of my BR roosters. I'm really attached to one and could never eat him. He tends to go hang with the girls when all the chest bumping is going on lol. I couldn't imagine getting rid of Osh-kosh either, since we always thought he was a hen. Yes, it will be difficult. Makes me think about more hens...maybe another coop...bah chickens make people crazy...
lol.png
Unless zoning prohibits it, more than one rooster isn't necessarily a bad thing. The extra guy functions as a spare in the event #1 dies in the line of duty. He makes for two more eyes and ears should danger come knocking. You'll want plenty of girls to spread the love around, but each boy will pick his favorites. I've seen flocks with 30 hens and one roo, and he only mated about four as his special favorites. I have six adult roos and three up-and-comers with 25 laying hens and half a dozen pullets (soon to be laying or have recently started)--and I still get infertile eggs, and have two bare-back hens who appear to be popular with everyone.

Skiddish is an EE thing. Most EEs are really curious about everything but don't like people grabbing for them or getting picked up. Most of mine will eat out of my hand. A wily disposition appears to be the norm.

TIME-SENSITIVE!!

efowl.com specifically Cackle is offering free shipping on orders of 15 or more chicks. If you Indy-area folks want to share an order, please let me know. I only want 6-8 Australorps.

THANKS!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom