INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

[COLOR=0000FF]Does anyone on the list raise Cochins (bantam or conventional)?  I've thought having just one[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]pullet[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF](preferably a bantam from a line that DOES lay decently) would be fun.  [/COLOR]

We've lost a few  birds lately.  We culled a mean roo (worst EVER, thank God not my breeding)--he also was carrying a gene for recessive white which did NOT belong there.  We also had to cull a severely prolapsed Jubilee Orp hen, and my beloved Jubilee roo Placido has some kind of facial/head tumor that I reduced as much as possible, but it's growing back already.  He still is holding his weight and mounting hens, but his beak also looks funky and I think we are going to cull him this week while he feels OK instead of letting him go until he gets worse.  He is already blind on one side because the tumor tissue closed the eyelid (the eye itself is fine, but he can't use it).  I don't want to wait for him to suffer.  My remaining two Jubilee hens will go into the layer flock.  Thus ends my most expensive chicken experiment ever.  I love Jubilees but will never have them again.  When you get breeders to talk about them privately, the stories are all the same.  They are so inbred the hatch rate is low, the survival rate of hatched chicks is low, but if they make it they are really gorgeous and nice birds.  The gene pool is just way too small.  I toyed with the idea of making blue Jubilees, which takes three years, but now that Placido is sick, that's out.  You really need a Jubilee roo (or two or three) to do it right.

Segue:  Eight weeks since my SSDI hearing today.  No news.  DH continues to be optimistic.  I continue to want them to hurry the heck up and just tell me yeah or nay.

In happier news, I'm taking two of the rescue kitties from my former bipolar neighbor's fiasco to a former employer to declaw them for my daughter.  He uses the laser to do it.  I don't declaw mine, but these two otherwise darling rescues were raised with no manners at all and they strop at everything.  It's easy to trim their nails, but they both really put their entire bodies into scratching everything.  I don't like it, and I know my daughter won't like it when she finally takes them.  She's also going to need scat mats to keep them off counters and tables.  I will be glad when they are living with DD, but have no idea when that will be.  She has applied for 32 teaching positions and had 6 or 7 interviews so far, but no job.  It's hard for new graduates to break in unless they know someone who knows the principal or superintendent.  I'm proud to say she graduated with a 3.98/4 average from the University of Kentucky.

[COLOR=0000FF]BTW, if anyone wants some Biele cockerels for meat,[/COLOR] I have three chicks, $1 each (1-4 weeks old).  I have had 100% males (7/7) so far this season.  Culled a few, gave one away to some folks with a farm and he's become their son's pet (named Milton) who likes to sit on the boy's shoulder.   I hate to cull them because they are so sweet and calm at this age.  Very Zen.  I will hang on them a little longer, but not much.  You can process them at 12-16 weeks and they have a nice amount of breast meat by then.  I even vaccinated them against Marek's.  We just don't "do" much meat processing at all, maybe 1 or 2 a year.

To everyone with animal or human health issues (yours or a family member's), I feel for you and hope everything turns out OK.

I wanted to let
Oh my gosh, Faraday!  I had no idea there was even such a thing as a chocolate barred Orp!  Now I'm going to have to add on to my chicken wish list, which I had finally gotten under control.  That is beyond beautiful.

Janet and I had some but she had a bad predator problem and :/they were gorgeous and very expensive lol.

Had a mystery happen this weekend. Our one broody hen disappeared. A black, bantam Orpington, named Peanut. Gone. Vanished.

Our coopyard is chainlink fence buried a foot into the ground and chainlink on top. Automatic door. Hardware cloth over the windows. Nothing bigger than a chainlink square can get in or out.

No feathers, no blood, no fur, no clawmarks, nothing.

It's like she opened the gate and went on a walkabout.
D.gif

Maybe Aliens took her.
hu.gif

If you see Peanut walking around the West side of Indy, please send her home!
hit.gif

Oh no! Is she your "packing peanut"? Did you look in nooks and crannies? My silkie, Smalty, recently spent most of the day in a tall kitchen trashcan in the garage. She wouldn't answer our calls for her, but when I threw something away, I heard something. I've had a chicken accidentally get stuck under a plastic box, too. It's frustrating when they don't answer when you call.
@Faraday40 ~ Our city has an excellent fireworks event on the riverfront, but the trend has been for people to put on their own professional displays in their backyards. Guess they like to burn money. Besides frightening animals, veterans with PTSD are affected. A local group offered these free signs:

@kittydoc ~ PM @ellymayRans re Bantam Cochins. My beloved RIP Screech came from Mandy.

The juvies. 2 chocolate 2 cream 1 lavender. Lav and 1 choc girls others boys. I think.

3 black pied 1 blue pied with mom

My newest babies. Some of them lol. All kinds of mixes. Dad is a lavender Amer. And mom's are blue cochin splash andalusian bcm blrw ee isbar ee/sumatra and slw. Or at least that's the birds I have haha. Someone (10 year ols) didn't get eggs from the tractor so I had TWO broodies sit on them lol. So both moms raising them together lol.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo [COLOR=8B4513]Nice fireworks photos! I especially like that they're silent! Hahaha I used to love the 4th, but since Mitch Daniels changed the laws, our neighborhood sounds like a war zone. I'm talking about professional grade fireworks set off in our subdivision. It's ridiculous...but don't get me started! Anyway, since I only have three chickens for the time being, a few days ago DH and I decided to move them into the basement at night because of fireworks. We put an XL dog kennel (for BFFs SLW and EE) next to a S dog kennel for my Silkie. Then I draped a blanket over the back and sides of both kennels. It's a walk-out basement, so in the morning, they just walk out to their fenced-in yard. My EE, Roadrunner, tends to be a whiner, but she settles down when I dim the lights. They have old blankets covered with paper towels to sleep on and have a slice of watermelon with some seeds if they need a midnight or morning snack. [/COLOR] :p
Oh, I agree. Not afraid to say I was half-hiding behind my family the whole time. Those big guys scare me a little. :oops: I'm okay with the little pops and crackles, but that big BOOM just rattles you! And don't even get me started on the obnoxious screeching ones! :rant We're out in the middle of nowhere, only a hand full of houses nearby and most on a lot of acreage or tucked into farmed fields, but it still sounded like war had broken out all weekend long. One of our dogs (who is normally not gun shy) got out of the dog yard several times until we finally found where she had goten through. Ironically, the one that IS usually gun shy was pretty calm up until yesterday. Who knows what they were thinking? :confused: I was worried about my babies during all that, too. My hens are usually fine, just seems like there's more poo than usual under the roosts in the morning, but I had my Silkie fuzzies and my babies that had never experienced fireworks before! Everyone survived, with some cuddles to make sure, and seem unfazed today. I had debated leaving the babies out overnight starting this week, but realizing what last night was, obviously I had to change my mind on that one!
Had a mystery happen this weekend. Our one broody hen disappeared. A black, bantam Orpington, named Peanut. Gone. Vanished. If you see Peanut walking around the West side of Indy, please send her home! :hit
Aw, I hope you find her! I agree with M2H, they find some of the most unlikely spots to hide! Check any overturned pans, lids, behind bins, in or behind bags of bedding, anywhere! I can also say from experience that chickens will find the one spot in a fence that's even just a little bit loose or wider than the rest and against all odds squeeze through. I still haven't figured out how one of our first hens managed to get out of a covered pen with chicken wire around it (back before I knew better than to use chicken wire for predator protection) and no obvious gaps. Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed that she'll show up! :fl
3 black pied 1 blue pied with mom
My newest babies. Some of them lol. All kinds of mixes. Dad is a lavender Amer. And mom's are blue cochin splash andalusian bcm blrw ee isbar ee/sumatra and slw. Or at least that's the birds I have haha. Someone (10 year ols) didn't get eggs from the tractor so I had TWO broodies sit on them lol. So both moms raising them together lol.
:love :love :love

Last edited:
Hello all. I have a question for those who raise freezer chickens. My buff orpingtons were approx 8 months old. Free range 3 evenings a week for 3 hours and had ff and dry feed avail. When I browned them and then baked, the skin got really, really grossly thick. Also I have never seen thighs so dark.
It was tasty but in 20 years of raising chickens it was a new experience.

Any thots ?

A few pictures of my babies from yesterday. :D

My little Dorking man, Donnie, who is crowing his heart out every day now. :love

Endymion the Easter-egger. I can't get over how pretty she is. :love

Cazzie and Flury the blue and splash Cochins. This door is two Cochins wide. :lol:

Flury again, and all her floofiness :love

My Dorking girls, Lydda and Callette :love

Umru the Light Brahma. Food has always been very important to Umru. :rolleyes:

My pretty little Lavender Orpington, Rooska :love

Someone help me understand why I've never gotten an Orpington before. :love :love

She's almost as darling as Lydda :love

Izzy the Blue Ameraucana, showing her usual attitude. :rolleyes:

And this one just makes me laugh. I think Don aspires to be FritoLay's spokeschicken. :lol:

Hi all, life has been super busy and I am getting ready to start grad school on top of my 60 hour work weeks. I haven't had time to look at my chickens in weeks other than rushing in to feed and water them. I just noticed one of them has a giant swollen foot and now I'm feeling super guilty about my lack of attention and care. So I have decided to either downsize or rehome them all (a couple are 4+ years, I'd love to find a retirement home for those but will keep a few of them so they don't end up in a pot if that isn't possible).

The following will be free to good homes. All are hens and most are under 2 years old.

5 silkied ameraucana (may already be spoken for), four black and one lavender
5 mottled breda (may already be spoken for)
3 Bielefelder hens
2 Easter Eggers (one is 4+ years old)
1 Welsummer (5+ years old)
2 barred rocks
2 Isbar/Bielefelder mix

All are vaccinated for Mareks and MG

Wow! I would love the barred rocks but I won' have any opportunity to get down to you anytime soon. Good luck! I'm sorry you have to rehome them but I am sure you will find great homes for them on here!

Hey everyone, I don't know why I didn't post this sooner. I saw someone posted that they went on vacation and were worried about leaving their chickens alone for so long.
I am a pet sitter in the Indy area (I live in the Castleton area)! I don't discriminate with animals-big, small, furry, scales, feathers, I'll watch them all!
My website is indyhelpconcierge.com it has all my contact info on there.
Lmk if I can help!!

I'm in the process of predator proofing my coop. My chicks are probably dying to be outside, I just haven't had time to put the finishing touches on it, and don't want to take any chances until it's ready! The BYC app still won't let me post photos for some reason, or I'd share a few. I'll work on that too!

Back
Top Bottom