INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

OH...and PS....
I don't use light in the winter either. Never have.

But I do have a light come on in the barn at around 7:15 am so that I can see what I'm doing when I'm feeding and watering before I leave for work without having to carry a flashlight. It's not for extending daylight and isn't on early enough to make a difference for them. It just gives me light to work in.

Hi,

Does anyone happen to live near Marion and have a baby chick that needs a new home? My daughter brought a chick home from school and it seems very lonely. We have older hens that just started to lay. But just need 1 or 2 to keep it company in our brooder. It doesn't matter what breed. Thank you.

Hi,

Does anyone happen to live near Marion and have a baby chick that needs a new home? My daughter brought a chick home from school and it seems very lonely. We have older hens that just started to lay. But just need 1 or 2 to keep it company in our brooder. It doesn't matter what breed. Thank you.

@good2016
I don't have any new hatches right now but I'm thinking someone in the indy area will have something.

Anyone?
@Indyshent @jchny2000 @ellymayRans @kittydoc may have some leads. Mentioning them to let hopefully have them notice your post.

I'll be keeping my eye on this since I'm in NWI.
Welcome to our thread!

Hi,

Welcome to our thread! If you have a Rural king in your area they may have chicks! Some rural kings have them year around now.

@ellymayRans

Such pretty little girls! 

Thank you!
1f601.png

Hi,

I have 1 hatching today but I'm about 100+ miles from Marion and don't know anyone in that area sorry.

Done with work finally!! Ugh! I hate when things are supposed to take a few hours and ends up being a 18 hour day! I don't use artificial light either for those same reasons. I admit my first year I did because I didn't know any better. It's just better for them to let them rest. I wanted to share my latest good news
1f60b.png
So last spring I managed to get my hands on some Mille Fleur Bantam Cochin eggs for hatching. Traveled from CA and 2 hatches survived. Both Roos of course. Lol. Sold 1 and kept 1 in hopes for trying again. It took me a year to manage finding another breeder as my original suffered a flock loss by predator
1f629.png
I had more eggs shipped and again, 2 hatched. Go figure. Used a broody silkie both times. (Gotta love'em
2764.png
It is such a journey though as I have the darndest time sexing them! No kidding, the pair of Roos last year, 1 got the obvious boy comb and red by 2 mos old but it's hatchmate had not so I thought "pair" whooohooo, but nope! 8 wks hatched 3/26/15 Then oh ok saddles by age 5 mos!!! Thankfully I take lots of pics of my birds and can certainly say my Girls now at 6 mos!
1f4ab.png
Hatched 4/14/16 Geez though, so stressful! Lol! Now if only they'd start laying! I guess atleast they're from different blood lines.
@ellymayRans Such pretty little girls!
Very pretty !!

Had family in yesterday and made chicken and noodles with my own chickens and homemade noodles with my eggs. Fresh potatoes from the garden, corn and oh my it was so good. Definitely worth the aggravations lol. It's such a good feeling !
1f600.png
And I am soooo greatful !

Back
Top Bottom